shanonmilan
@shanonmilan
2 weeks ago
60 posts

Ken Hulme:

Very interesting Jim.  Seldom see a tiple, but I love the mandolin-uke sound they deliver.

The tiple is a fascinating instrument, albeit less common compared to the mandolin-uke. Both instruments produce delightful sounds that add unique textures to music. It's always a pleasure to explore different stringed instruments and appreciate the richness they bring to music.

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
3 months ago
51 posts

Here's a tune on the Tiple that I recorded for a ukulele group I belong to.  I had been fooling with the tiple and a 14 string banduria, which is why I credit the tiple with 4 more strings than it actually has.

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
3 years ago
51 posts

Strumelia,
It has a 16.25 inch scale.

Here it is next to a mandolin and a tenor ukulele.

Here it is next to a Filipino banduria, which has 14strings in 6 courses.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

It reminds me a bit of the Puerto Rican cuatro (which I used to play when I lived there many years ago). They both have ten strings, but the cuatro has 5 courses, arranged in pairs. It too is rather small, but your tiple looks as though it's even smaller, judging from the proportions with the tuning gears.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

Very interesting Jim.  Seldom see a tiple, but I love the mandolin-uke sound they deliver.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

What is the scale length on your tiple? Looks to be quite short, maybe close to violin/mandolin scale?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
3 years ago
51 posts

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
3 years ago
51 posts

I bought a ten string Regal tiple, made in Chicago, at a yard sale a few years back.  I haven't used it much till COVID locked me in and I started taking part in a weekly ukulele get together.
The tiple has 4 courses of strings and I tune them gG-cCc-eEe-AA.  The saddle is not compensated, so playing far up the neck causes some sour notes, so I stick to the first 5 or 6 frets.
Any other tiplers on this site?

I'm not sure how to add a photo.