Just curious Aabout what you think of contests?

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
13 years ago
239 posts

Very true Robin!

I've not competed in a dulcimer competition (it is a bit of a swim to get across to the US 114.gif ) but they do seem to be a part of traditional mountain community culture - so perhaps that's is the light they should be viewed under.

I understand the sentiment Mark and Greg"music is an art form, not a competition"but, just perhaps, in cases like this, the competition festival is a historic and cultural community art in itself?

I spend many years living in the Highlands of Scotland and each community's "gathering" was an important date on the callender - and a mix of sport and musical art competitions.

Where I live now, in Wales, the eisteddfod is an important part of the culture. Every child in Wales will compete in singing, dance, poetry or instrument playing right from first school. It is hardly a surprise that Wales is renowned for producingmusicians - the opportunities to practice and be coached are there for all !

So perhaps we should look at mountain dulcimer festival competitions as the continuation of tradition. There were dulcimer competitions held at the first Galax fiddle convention in 1935 (Ruth Melton won!). So that does suggest that music competions were part of mountain community life well before that - and that the dulcimer was looked upon as a worthy instrument for competition! And the settlers would have bought the culture of such events from the home countries.

Kendra - it is good to see you continuing this tradition and heartening to hear that young folk are the ones whofeel particularly energised by these events - long may they continue !

Robin

Robin Thompson said:

Although I don't think of playing dulcimer as competitive sport, contests have been a part of community musical get-togethers for a long time. So, I think of contests as being part of a tradition.113.gif

I've never competed and don't know whether I would or not. If the atmosphere of a given competition was light-hearted, friendly, maybe. . . Smile.gif

Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
13 years ago
141 posts

Personally, I've never competed in a contest and never will. Not that interested in making music into a competitive sport. However, I do not mind watching others compete in a contest. It would make a nice addition to a weekend festival. I prefer the festivals with workshops, vendors, jamming, and concerts by the professional musicians. A contest could easily be added to these festivals, perhaps free admission in exchange for entering a contest. Concerts and contests probably have a greater appeal to the non-dulcimer players attending a dulcimer festival. It would certainly give dulcimer spouses something to do while their spouse attends workshops, looks at the instruments being offered for sale, or jams over in the corner.

Greg

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,126 posts
Kendra - I'd be honored. Email me details....
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
13 years ago
1,429 posts
Paul, ya gotta be happy about your Indians having the best winning percentage in baseball. 3.gif Although I'm a Reds' fan, I'm happy for the Tribe. Smile.gif
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
13 years ago
242 posts

The Reds are my "go to" team for when the Indians aren't in the running!

Paul

Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
13 years ago
10 posts

78.gif Too funny, Geekling! We wouldn't want you to start gnawing.....but to tell the truth, I think I would start gnawing my arms off too if I had to compete....some people love it, some do not....it's very interesting to me....

69.gif YAY! Ken! Let's get 'cha up here next year so you can show 'em how it's done!

6.gif Paul, we welcome you back to Coshocton dulcimer days anytime with open arms....too bad you have to "wait 'til next year"! (I guess I will have to say it....."How about them Red's"!!!113.gif ) Am I in trouble now? I guess once a trouble maker, always a trouble maker! 5.gif

Dulcerina-

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
13 years ago
242 posts

I went a couple times, but it was always in May, and Mrs.Wanda's birthday, Mothers Day & The Memorial Day family cookout made for a busy month. Mrs. Wanda never developed an I didn't go much. Hoping for next year, now that it's in June.This June we have 2 graduations, a wedding, and a family reunion. I don't even get to open mics much lately.As a Cleveland Indians fan, I grew up saying "Wait till next year!"

Paul

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,126 posts
Float or fly, Kendra, I'll come up and teach for you!
Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
13 years ago
10 posts

Thanks for the comments!

I do think that festivals have all gone toward the workshop/concert type weekend and I think that is a good idea. We are trying to cater to as many people as we can, and the contests do bring in a lot of people, both contestants and watchers. I think the contest mentality is becoming more and more popular again, and I am so happy to see so many of the contestants are coming from the younger generation! YAY!

Paul, you need to come back to Coshocton and see how much it has changed....hopefully for the better....and it is all free, except the workshops which are $15 per person per workshop, paid directly to the teacher who keeps 100%. We offer between 50-60 workshops depending on the year, plus jams, vendors, concerts, lot's of food, and more....

Ken, float on up our way sometime soon.....we could use a good noter/drone teacher....maybe next year?

Thanks again for your comments....

Dulcerina-

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
13 years ago
85 posts

Competition is a big part of festivals, but for me being a self taught player, I would rather attent a workshop / instruction class instead. Right now competing is not for me.

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
13 years ago
1,429 posts

Although I don't think of playing dulcimer as competitive sport, contests have been a part of community musical get-togethers for a long time. So, I think of contests as being part of a tradition.113.gif

I've never competed and don't know whether I would or not. If the atmosphere of a given competition was light-hearted, friendly, maybe. . . Smile.gif

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,126 posts
I would compete; and have done in the past. As far as an event goes, I think very few can survive on just competitions alone. Vendors, workshops etc are a bigger draw, I think... just my tuppence.
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
13 years ago
242 posts

I watched some of the contests at Roscoe years ago, but I was a brand new player, and the idea of competing was way off in the distance. It was fun to watch, but at that time I was more interested in attending workshops,and learning to play, so I only watched when no classes were being held. I suspect many new players might feel that way, too. I never developed much interest in competing, and I now find I would rather jam at festivals than anything else. I also take less workshops than I did in the early days. Concerts are more appealing to me than contests, as I feel the performers have more time to display the depth of their abilities. Those on a level, and of a mind set, to compete may prefer to watch the contests, and probably enjoy them. I kinda lost interest. I haven't been able to attend Roscoe for a good many years, but hope to again in the future. The jams were always fun, even when I didn't know many songs.

Paul

Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
13 years ago
10 posts

I organize the Coshocton Dulcimer Days festival and we have the Mid-Eastern Regional Hammered and Mountain dulcimer contests. Winners receive a trophy, money, and entry into the Walnut Valley Festival in KS. This festival has had contests since the first festival in the early '70's.

I am just curious about what ya'll think about contests, if you would ever compete, if you have competed, what you think judging criteria should be, and any other comments. Since we are sanctioned by Walnut Valley, we do have go by their rules, but we can change minor things with their approval.

Me, personally, I cannot compete....it makes me physically ill!!! 114.gif LOL I have not competed since about 1985. I could do it when I was a kid, but it is just not my thing now. Isn't that weird???? I remember one time, Bob (my hubby) and I borrowed Dad's courting dulcimer to compete against mom and dad....We tied!!! .....and had to have a play off!!! Isn't that too funny.....Bob and I did manage to beat mom and dad, but I don't know how!!!! Bob and I still play that courting dulcimer today....I guess it is our good luck dulcimer!

I hear people say all the time that competing makes them better players and I can see that. It makes them practice and to be able to be in front of people. It gives them a goal to work on.

What are your thoughts and opinions? I thought this would be a fun topic to discuss.

Back in the '70's, the entire structure of the Coshocton Dulcimer Days....then Roscoe Village Dulcimer Days....was all based on contests. They had a courting dulcimer contest, a kid's contest, a club contest, traditional contest, men VS women, duet contest, band contest, hammered, mountain, best male singing, best female singing, and so on. Today, I don't think there are enough people who would be interested in these contests, but some people have mentioned that they would like to have a duet contest and a vocal contest come back. What do ya'll think of this?

I am looking forward to reading your comments. Thanks........

updated by @kendra-ward: 03/16/17 02:19:15AM