Choosing for bad weather..?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
2,293 posts

It kinda makes sense to me that many of the 'traditional style' modern built dulcimers would fare better in bad weather, because they tend to be more slender and often made with slightly thicker wood and hardwood. As you get into instruments with larger soundboxes and thinner walls, i'd think the wood would be more affected by heat or dampness.  KenH- good point about the zither pin tuners.

@Nate , speaking of polyurethane... when i was attending early banjo/reenactment banjo gatherings, most of us played fretless 1800s-style repro banjos, with real calfskin heads that are very thin and large diameter. Those heads really reacted and stretched/sagged with the heat and humidity. One good trick we used beforehand was to lightly spray two coats of old fashioned Aquanet hair spray on both sides of the calfskin. That particular hairspray was very good at sealing out moisture- they didn't call it aqua-net for nothin'!  hahah  It made the thin calfskin much more stable in fluctuating weather conditions. 

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
2,141 posts

My "adverse conditions" are usually heat, humidity and salt air.  My go-to instrument(s) are my traditional dulcemores with auto-harp tuning pegs rather than wooden pegs.

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
one month ago
300 posts

Ken Longfield:

My strategy when facing adverse conditions as far as playing outside is simple. I cancel any plans to play outside. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

ROTFL

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
one month ago
300 posts

A lot of my dulcimers are plywood, and I very often use a few layers of polyurethane on them. (for solid wood dulcimers i much prefer oil) 
I am aware that conventional knowledge suggests allowing wood to breathe, but in rough weather or high humidity, I wonder if it's better to have an instrument that can "hold it's breath"
I have made two with no soundholes and with a heavy coating of polyurethane on the entire outside, including the fingerboard. They are essentially waterproof, and have traveled back and forth between inland and the coast multiple times with no noticeable warping. I left one of them on a back porch and it got rained on all night, and I just wiped all the water off, put new strings on it, and it was totally unaffected.
Probably not applicable for most people, but I definitely appreciate having a dulcimer that is specifically more weather resistant than the rest.

updated by @nate: 08/08/24 09:36:32PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
1,136 posts

My strategy when facing adverse conditions as far as playing outside is simple. I cancel any plans to play outside. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dan
Dan
@dan
one month ago
186 posts

Any of my traditional pieces. The old finishes are not in any way prone to cracking the way the lacquers can and so long as you are under 140 º and don't loosen the glue you should be O.K. Pegs are often not conducive to the changes in humidity but remember what Jean said, "spit on it".

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
2,293 posts

Tell us what you do when you have to bring a dulcimer for playing outside in iffy weather.  Whether you are camping, at a festival, lots of car travel, or have an outdoor gig/jam... in hot/humid/rainy, or cold conditions. Which dulcimer do you pick to bring along so that you don't have to worry as much about it getting damaged? What's your dulcimer choice or your strategy when facing adverse conditions?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990