BBC video on unusual ancient instruments

Jennifer Wren
Jennifer Wren
@jennifer-wren
10 years ago
17 posts

Thanks for posting that. I've been wishing I had a hurdy gurdy for awhile now, and find myself coveting hers!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,246 posts

Wow Robin that sounds just wonderful!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,720 posts

The hardanger fiddle looked like one of the more interesting instruments in the documentary, perhaps because it is so recognizable as a modern violin with the exception of the sympathetic strings that echo a former era.

What a treat that must have been for you, Robin!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
10 years ago
239 posts

This is a great article - thanks for posting it Lisa.

Last month during my ski trip across the Skarvheimen in Norway, by chance, weskied tothe Geiterygghytta mountain hut on its 100th birthday and a local Hardanger fiddle player turned up in the evening and played for us Smile.gif It was wonderful to hear local tunes being played on the instrument right on its home turf. We had skied from the Hardangervidder that day. Janet Crane, who is a great old time fiddler, was with us on the trip so she got to play some Appalachian tunes on the Hardanger fiddle on a snowy winter night in a Norwegian mountain hut - how cool is that36.gif

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,720 posts

Very cool. It's amazing how great she can play all those various instruments.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
john p
john p
@john-p
10 years ago
173 posts

Well spotted Strel, saw this recently on the News and meant to mention it. Didn't realise it was still available.

We had a N/harp player at the club a few months back, she's been turning up at some point most years.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,246 posts

I love this!:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27205752

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 06/11/15 07:40:35AM