Help with a Hungarian citera

Don O.
Don O.
@don-o
6 years ago
2 posts

I wanted to bump this thread because I have that exact instrument, except mine has no decorations. I found it in a Pittsburgh Guitar Center of all places. There were a couple of articles about them in Dulcimer Players News a couple of years ago. The one the article was acquired originally in a folk music shop in NYC circa 1970’s. The strings on mine were original and very corroded so I replaced them all. It was tuned like a DAD dulcimer, more or less, when I got it, but using a caliper to figure out gauges, plus some research and a little math, told me this particular instrument was supposed to be in G (all Gs and D’s). The citera comes in different sizes and tunings, but on this size G works well. 

I wanted Ted to add that some of my pins were loose and would not hold tune. I removed them and discovered that although they look like zither pins, they are not! They are larger (zither pin wrench will not fit) and they are smooth, no thread! I made the worn holes smaller with the old super glue trick, and they are holding fine now. But they are true friction pins. It is good to remember that. Mine came with the correct size wrench, thank goodness. I understand Dave’s comment about not enough leverage. The previous owner solved that problem by sticking too small metal handle of the tuning wrench into the top of a standard wooden file handle. Works like a charm.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,111 posts

Szeged!  There's a spice factory there called Pride of Szeged!  They make really superior hot and smoked Paprikas, and a Fish Rub and Chicken Rub blend that I use all the time.  You may be able to find them at your local megamart!  Make a big pan of Paprikash (chicken and dumplings with lots of paprika) and play your citera while it cooks.

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
6 years ago
25 posts

Seems that my maker is no more as this translation of a press release explains

The Szeged Instrument Factory was established with 50-60 employees in 1953 as a council company with a mixed profile: in addition to the instruments, furniture manufacturing, upholstery and decorations were also operated. It later concentrated on instruments and due to a downturn it was closed in 2004 after it peaked production at 9400 instruments in 2001

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
6 years ago
207 posts

http://www.afolk.hu/bolt/index.php/en/Tuning-of-stringed-instruments/toning-citera-hungarian-zither.html

This chart gives you a fair idea of what the tunings should be on a Citera..............by the way, a great find!

updated by @salt-springs: 02/09/18 02:45:15PM
Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
6 years ago
25 posts

Ken Hulme:

The pins appear to have a square head -- should not be hard to find a clock-key to match.

The pins appear to be standard zither wrest/tuning pins that will take a  5mm square wrench or socket
The original key does not give the fine control that a long handle wrench does so I will repurpose one of my 'old' tools

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
6 years ago
25 posts

My folk Citera arrived today 
Made April Fools Day 1981 and never played
Here is a link to Flickr pictures ....

https://www.flickr.com/gp/99248490@N05/71xg25

The pictures show the makers label various details and the original spec sheet.
Any help translating the spec sheet and the suggested tunings will be appreciated greatly!
I found the makers address on Google street view but it is a modern block of flats
I have so far not found any other info on the maker
I will set about getting it into a playable condition over the weekend
So wish me good fortune!
DSCN0843.JPG  

updated by @dave-ismay: 02/09/18 01:53:56PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,111 posts

The pins appear to have a square head -- should not be hard to find a clock-key to match.

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
6 years ago
25 posts

I believe that the 'Rosebud' carvings may be the best method of identifying the maker
Any help will be gratefully received
Cheers Davecitera2a 2.jpg

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,111 posts

It would be nice to have a real closeup of those tuning pegs, but I'm betting that they are autoharp pins, for which you can buy a clock-key as a tuning key.  When you get it, measure at the top of the pins, across the flats, and I can help you find an appropriate clock-key.  They usually run a whopping $4-$6.

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
6 years ago
25 posts

Thanks guys I also posted on ED and have been following many internet threads chasing info.
I did not set out to buy this but the lady advertised it as 'Musical Instruments' in amongst the 1000s of acoustic guitars and never amended her add even though I informed her what it was.
I have always been fascinated by the fretted zithers, auto harps etc but never thought to own one unless I made my own.
I got this by default with a single bid and am very happy.
It may well cost me as much again for a decent tuning key.
I will post detailed pictures when the package arrives meanwhile I am hunting for any possible info on a maker

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,248 posts

That's a lovely instrument Dave!

Don't forget you can use Google to translate Hungarian webpages to English.  It won't be a perfect translation bu tenables you to understand most of the info.

You may benefit greatly from watching Youtube videos of Hungarian citera players in action.  It'll show how they utilize all those strings when they strum.  Remember also that Youtube has a setting where you can slow the video down to half speed while staying in the same pitch.  That way you can watch their hands better.

I transferred this thread into our 'other instruments' forum, btw.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,111 posts

At is happens, we're having a great Citera discussion on ED, here: 

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33962

Search the 'Net on "Hungarian citera" there is a wealth of info.

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
6 years ago
25 posts

was browsing Eb** and came across an interesting chromatic dulcimer otherwise known as a Hungarian citera zitherI just won the auction and now need to collect info about citera s that I can understand[Hungarian is not a language that is easily translated]Seems to be a 'C' tuned instrument but what do I do with all those other strings?Seems to be set up like a short scale dulcimer with the black notes on the second fingerboard and dronesimg

updated by @dave-ismay: 02/07/18 04:33:21PM