3 years ago
21 posts

Final not Fina ( I hate autocorrect)

Art S
Art S
@art-s
3 years ago
21 posts

This works fine. Fina. Version after two prototypes.

20210321_164146.jpg
20210321_164146.jpg  •  171KB

Art S
Art S
@art-s
3 years ago
21 posts

That would work, Dusty. I am working on a version of Ken's plans as soon as the lockdown ends and I can get into the hardware store to buy a 4" bolt. I had already checked out the listing on Amazon and was not impressed with the customer comments. 

I'll post a photo of my creation once I get it made.

Thanks everyone!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Check out the capo FOTMD member @martin-oesterle made to play this fun tune.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
3 years ago
188 posts

Art S:

Any suggestions on the best place to get a capo? I'm in Canada, so shipping costs will be a factor.

https://www.amazon.ca/Roosebeck-Capo-for-Mountain-Dulcimer/dp/B00P9QAH6W/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dulcimer+capo&qid=1609789902&sr=8-3

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Terry's capo is a modification of the Spider capo. And he offers a version with a D'Addario tuner attached to it.  It's a nice idea, especially if you have room left of the nut to leave it attached when you're not using it.  That way you have a tuner and capo always available.  If I didn't already have a bunch of capos and a bunch of tuners I would probably get one.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
3 years ago
51 posts

I think Terry's Capo is the best out there.  I have the Ron Ewing and the original Dudley and like Terry's the best.

Joe Besse

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Like Dusty said, the Ewing capos are a good value.

Terry McCafferty now makes some really nice capos for a little more. I have since purchased 2 of his. Nice mechanism, perfect pressure.....my new favorite dulcimer capo. 

https://www.mccaffertydulcimers.com/capos

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

I once spent over $60 on a fancy brass capo that works almost as well as the $20 ones Ron Ewing has been selling for decades. No one said logic was my strongest attribute. shrugger

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/03/21 01:45:56PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,090 posts

I think you can find plans on the internet for the capo Ken Hulme describes. If you want to buy a capo you might try Folkcraft or Prussia Valley. I imagine the shipping costs depend upon where you are in Canada.

Here is a link to what one you can make yourself would look like: https://www.etsy.com/listing/161049441/dulcimer-capos?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=dulcimer+capo&ref=sr_gallery-1-7

Or you can order one from this seller or others.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 01/03/21 09:40:15AM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,126 posts

Best or cheapest?  You can make a perfectly adequate capo from a couple dollars worth of materials from your local DIY store -- a 1/4-20 bolt, a wing nut, a short piece of rubber/plastic tubing, and a couple scraps of wood.  Or you can spend upwards of $30 plus shipping for a capo that looks sexy and also holds the strings down.

Art S
Art S
@art-s
3 years ago
21 posts

Any suggestions on the best place to get a capo? I'm in Canada, so shipping costs will be a factor.