Hungarian Citera played with a noter

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,247 posts

Awesome, Dave!  I'm going to watch this video. Such tips can be applied to many dulcimer, scheitholt, epinette, and hummel playing techniques.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
3 years ago
25 posts

At the risk of being boring here is a howto video teaching strumming fingering and all sorts
which although in Hungarian is mostly understandable as music is more or less universal
When it gets near the end the noter section and vibrato tips leave me open mouthed

updated by @dave-ismay: 01/17/21 11:30:48AM
Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
3 years ago
25 posts

The one in the video appears to be a traditional design and for any interested here is another video which shows how citera are played using a noter and using an inward strum pattern how the tremolo is achieved
I understand that tuning is basically  always using intervals such as a ll melody strings are tuned to g1 the rest being drone strings tuned to C, c1, c2 g2, c3.which is a little contrary the info sheet I posted which I never understood especially "h"Tuning depends on size so this is a good base.

Small "C" citera.

Measure 48-52 cm.

Keynote: g'. Melody strings - g'. Resonant strings - g' -  c' - c - g . Side strings c'' - g'' - c'''.

Great "C" citera.

Measure 70-80 cm.

Keynote: g. Melody strings  - g.  Resonant strings  - g -  c - C - G .  Side strings -  c' - g' - c''.
Watching this video explained a great deal to me

updated by @dave-ismay: 01/17/21 03:16:04PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Dave, thanks a million for the links to other photos of your citera-- it's wonderful!  It'd sure be fun to play around with.  There was a sizable Hungarian population here in my little corner of SE Ohio, in old coal country.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 01/17/21 10:35:56AM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,071 posts

Dave, I hadn't considered ash, but that is certainly a possibility. Thank for sharing all those photos. We supported a Hungarian refuge family years ago and I had a Hungarian dictionary which might have helped me in understanding the info sheet. Unfortunately I gave it away when I retired.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
3 years ago
25 posts

For anyone interested here is a link to my citera pictures on public access stored on "Tinterweb"
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmf7tizc

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
3 years ago
25 posts

The factory was a furniture factory apparently so they would have a variety of local timbers available.
I have myself pondered the same question and suspect the frame is perhaps Ash which is generally easily carved, light in colour and not too heavy
I am trying to attach some detail pictures but I first have to remember how BB system works and where they are stored meanwhile this is the Hungarian info sheet from 1981

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,071 posts

David, can you tell what type of wood is used the construction of you citera? It looks like some of it might be birch or maple. BTW, thanks for sharing the video and the photo.

Ken

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,071 posts

It is interesting to see the underside fo the citera. The board with the holes in it reminds me of one of my zitters that has a board with two holes in it, but rather than being perpendicular to the top as the one in the citera, it parallels the top. The woman who plays in the video is a very skilled player. I enjoyed her smile at the applause when she finished playing.

Ken

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
3 years ago
25 posts

They are apparently all constructed in a similar fashion with no back and need a table for a sound board
This is the underside of mine which was made in the government factory
[img] https://www.flickr.com/photos/99248490@N05/25298908127/in/album-72157693231671105/ [img]

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,247 posts

Dave your citera looks delightful!  flower

--
Site Owner

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
3 years ago
25 posts

This one is mine [in case the picture is lost]

citera1.jpg
citera1.jpg  •  151KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,247 posts

In the beginning of the video around 0:22 when she comes on stage you can get a glimpse of the instrument.
How wonderful this is!!  Delightful and amazing in every way!!

Love how an entire crew of men reverently bring the required playing surface to the Little Queen.  love  
She deserves to be worshipped. The Hungarian Bonnie Russell?.. arguably even more skilled.

BTW I want that skirt, for contra dancing. And her faceted garnet necklace.  giggle

--
Site Owner

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
3 years ago
25 posts

I have just returned to FOTMD and saw this wonderful insight into my citera which I am ashamed to say I have never done anything with since I bought it on Impulse in 2018 [Un-played and very cheap]
Mine is tuned to open G and a noter on the diatonic half of the finger board would work but how you could adjust the noter to play on the chromatic half of the board I find difficulty in imagining!
Perhaps I have found another lockdown task?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

I'm happy you enjoyed this, friends!  

I have no idea whether Citera is usually played with a noter or not.  This sure sounds like dance music to me.  However, the folks directly behind the young woman playing didn't seem to be toe-tapping or anything to indicate they were ready to break out into dance.  :) 

Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
4 years ago
34 posts

I don't know if a Citera is usually played with a noter or not, but the performance was really impressive! Robin, thanks, for bringing it to our attention.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

and she is just beautiful.   All that fast playing and she is calm as a summer's morning.  I loved this one.  Thanks Robin. aloha, irene

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,719 posts
That's just amazing playing! I wish we could get a closer look at her hands and the instrument.

Thanks for sharing this, Robin.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
4 years ago
143 posts

WOW!!! Thanks Robin!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

This was brought to my attention by Facebook postings from Steve Seifert and Dean Robinson (Elvensong).  This young woman's play is jaw-dropping and wonderful!  

updated by @robin-thompson: 01/17/21 07:37:00AM