Photos Dulcimer Factory c. 1995 DF-4

marg
@marg
10 years ago
615 posts

It's been some time since you posted yourvintage 1995 dulcimer. I was wondering if you still like it, I came across one much like it, 1996 one. I'm not sure I like the bright sound, hope I will like you after a few days.

I am new to this web site and to trying to play the dulcimer, I would like to send you a photo of the DF dulcimer I have. It is very much like yours but different wood and where you have leaves like a heart, mine are all leaves.

Wait, maybe I just figured out how to send a photo.

I'm open to info you have learn in playing your DF dulcimer.

thanks,

marg.

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Hi Mary ... I actually did 'sniff' it :). There is no discernible aroma of sassafras or root beer ... sadly. There's really not much smell at all so I guess the previous owner was not a smoker. The dulcimer was bought by a son and his wife for their mother. She never played it. Story is that they are now helping her dispose of quite a bit of her personal things because of the economy. The dulcimer was made in 1995 but looks in new condition. The wood's color is just amazing and I'm very happy with it. Sounds good too.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
12 years ago
62 posts
But does it smell like root beer ? :)
Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

In the books that came with the dulcimer I found the original generic sales pamplet that came with the dulcimer when it was originally sold. This model was only offered in sassafrass/walnut or one other combo that I don't remember ... it's not the other, so it's sassafrass.

--
Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
12 years ago
62 posts
Sassafrass usually only smells until it is aged. My cherry/ sassafras dulcimer smelled like root beer for about 5 years -- wonderful. :) my walnut/ sassafras never had the smell, but suspect it was older aged wood. Have a Spanish curly cedar/figured mahogany that kept the Spanish cedar smell for several years-- it was kind of a peppery wood smell-- but so many folks smelled it-- they finally just sucked all the smell out of it :)Really loved the root beer smell on the sassafras, though :)
Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

You have a good point Paul. I haven't noticed any smell when I open the case. I remember the sassafras smell really well from the hayloft in the barn. It smelled so good. I still make tea real often.

The back has more 'birds eye' or tiny, tiny knots than the photo shows and they all have a pronounced reddish tint. I don't know what the wood is, but it's very nice.

--
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
12 years ago
242 posts

Don't scratch it, just sniff close to the sound holes. My sassafras dulcimer still smells of root beer after 22 years, though not as strong as when it was new. As soon as I open the case I get a whiff of it. It looks a little pale for sassafras, though.

Paul

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Hi Wayne ... the dulcimer looks very good and I'm ecstatic about it's being solid wood instead of a veneer. I think I am most impressed with the construction though. It is put together VERY well. All glue joints are tight and even. The fit and finish are really good.

Ken ... good idea on the scratch n sniff. I looked at pictures of all their dulcimers and it looks most like the ones they did from sassafras. What I meant was that I'm totally ignorant about sweet gum (there's lots one state away, but not here), so I thought that it might be a possibility as they (the Naylors) did use some of that. The family that bought it originally for their mother were very kind and gave me all the info that they could when I contacted them but they did not remember the kind of wood that was used.

Carrie ... the back is bookmatched and both front and back have more color and character than the pics show. At first tuning and strumming the strings ... I hated it ... but that was my ear. I had nothing to compare it to but my home made dulcimers. After just a short time though, I recognized what a lovely sound it has. I like it very much now.

--
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

Could be Sweetgum, but if so, it haslots of character. You could always "scratch & sniff" on an out of the ay place inside, and see if you get the characteristic Sassafras aroma. That's what it looks most like, to me - flat sawn Sassafras.

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with this dulcimer. I wish the pics showed it as pretty as it really is. They don't.

--
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
12 years ago
85 posts

Aw Sam, that is a nice lookin dulcimer. Beautiful! Nice find for sure. Jury's still out as to what kind of wood it is.

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 01/24/16 12:57:21AM
Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

I hadn't taken pics of the DF-4 I recently purchased.

I was satisfied at $150.00 for the veneer utility model I thought I would get. When it came, it is a vintage 1995 that is SOLID wood and absolutely beautiful. It had never been played and looks brand new. It came in a hard case with books, papers, a big book of tab, pics, strings and a noter. There is not a scratch on it anywhere. The label does carryJohn and Shirley Naylor's name.

I'm not sure on the wood. In research they used a lot of sassafrass during the time this dulcimer was built. I'm not familiar with sweet gum so it could be that. Any help in positively identifying it would be most appreciated. The sides and fretboard are walnut. It is a dream to note and sounds as good as it looks.

328_forums.jpg

--

updated by @sam: 08/03/23 03:34:34PM