Anyone else find themselves just noodling around on dulcimer?

Ruth Lawrence
Ruth Lawrence
@ruth-lawrence
12 years ago
41 posts

I'm a complete beginner of a month as well. I enjoy noodling around. You'd be surprised at all the variations of that cabbage song!

Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
12 years ago
45 posts

Noodling around - it's my favorite past time. I particularly do it when I'm tuned DAc. Something about aeolian that just leads into improvising.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
422 posts

Messing around? It's the way to learn, compose and relax. Not having a "plan," just letting yourunconscious mind take you where it wants you to go. Sometimes it's a thing of beauty; sometimes it's something else. In either case it's what I need at the moment.

I learned the guitar the same way when I was a kid. Just sat around playing notes seeing where they lead, how they sound and if they can be made to fit together.

Love it!

RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
12 years ago
41 posts

yep same here ....my guitars gather dust very well

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts

every time I play. I after playing a fewsongs I tend to just noodle around. same thing with my other instrument.

Joe Hamilton
Joe Hamilton
@joe-hamilton
12 years ago
9 posts

Yep-all the time. Watch TV with it on my lap and mute/play during commercial breaks. Get hours of noodling in this way. Unless I happen to be watching PBS. Also, the captions are very nice; mute, watch, play, repeat. Drives the Mrs. crazy.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

Every time I pick up a dulcimer! That's how a person becomes intimately familiar with the instrument and where the sounds are coming from relative to each other.

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Oh how I've missed my dulcimer these last few weeks. I've been real busy with other stuff, but last night I probably spent a good 2 hours with it. Grin.gif

So I played a few of my regulars and then I just started messing around. I do most everything on dulcimer just by ear so I don't think about chord names, note names or anything like that. I just sort of let my fingers do the walking and my pick do the talking. It was really fun and I found some neat sounding things happening.

Does anyone else find themselves doing this? I probably do this more on dulcimer than with any other instrument I play. Most times on banjo I'm trying to pick some phrase or song out, same with guitar, and now mando. But with the dulcimer I find myself just sort of wandering around and it's fun.

updated by @mandy: 08/03/23 03:35:49PM