8 years ago
244 posts

~giggle~

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
8 years ago
51 posts

Then there's the group called DAM (Mothers Against Dyslexia)

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

In Stafford, England, on the High Street is a black cast iron fenced entrance to a property.  The sign on the gate reads

The cixelsyD Institute.  True fact.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

Ken Hulme: Slate Creek, not Creek Slate  Dustylipssealed  

Indeed. I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. oma  Speaking of which, did you hear about the dyslexic who walked into a bra? laughlaugh

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 08/16/16 08:32:15PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Slate Creek, not Creek Slate  Dustylipssealed

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

patriotic: Anybody know if Bobby Ratliff has a web site or how's the best way to get in touch with him? I tried a Google search and couldn't find anything and a search on the FOTMD Members under his name did not turn up anything. 

Bobby is still a member here, though he's been much less active than he used to be.  He goes by Virginia Hogfiddler . You might still be able to find him if you Google Highnoon Hunter or Creek Slate Dulcimers.

Of course, you could try to friend him here and send a personal message.

By the way, any guitar strap will do, and they come in all price ranges and designs.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 08/16/16 05:18:34PM
Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
8 years ago
51 posts

That's the knot I was taught to use in Scouts when I wanted to shorten a rope.  I figured it'd work on a strap as well.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

WOW Jim!  ~that's fancy~

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
8 years ago
51 posts

sleepingangel:

hugssandi:

The easy way to combat crochet strap-stretch, especially if it is thin, is just to knot it in the middle~like you do with a purse that's too long?  Does that make sense?

Good idea!

A sheepshank?

Sheepshank_knot.jpg
Sheepshank_knot.jpg  •  54KB

updated by @jim-yates: 08/15/16 10:08:05PM
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

hugssandi:

The easy way to combat crochet strap-stretch, especially if it is thin, is just to knot it in the middle~like you do with a purse that's too long?  Does that make sense?

Good idea!!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

marg
@marg
8 years ago
615 posts

Not crocheted or thin but FREE, I use the straps from my suitcases or laptop cases and pin buttons or pins on them

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

Lynne Gill:

@sleeping angel  Maria, as a fellow crochet fan, I find crochet scarves stretch! Does your crocheted dulcimer strap not stretch too?

well here's the cool part...they do but because there's so many places to attach it to the knob it doesn't matter that some hangs over? know what I mean?

take care

Maria

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

Jim Yates:

I love Maria's strap.

Mine was a South American cotton belt that I bought at a festival.  Very colourful.

thanks Jim! your's is cool too!! In fact I think that I remember seeing it way in the beginning of my time here and thought "that's the thinness I want!!" so you "inspired me "to re-create it in a way!!

take care

Maria

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Jim -- I've got a strap just like that which I bought in Mexico about 20 years ago.  I don't use any for of dulcimer strap.  But if I did, that's what I would adapt.

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
8 years ago
51 posts

I love Maria's strap.

Mine was a South American cotton belt that I bought at a festival.  Very colourful.

strap4.jpg
strap4.jpg  •  14KB

patriotic
@patriotic
8 years ago
7 posts

Thanks for the replies. I think I like his idea that I saw posted about his leather strap that goes around the leg area instead of the normal strap around the back. His idea looked pretty good. I'll have to look up some leather worker I guess in my area. Haven't seen one for awhile though.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Bobby Ratliff does business as Highnoonhunter  He's not been doing much lately as he's been having some health issues.  Are you looking for leatherwork or something else?

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

So I crocheted a strap for all my dulcimers. It's funny because my mom was an avid wonderful crocheter and I just never was able to finish anything more than a scarf here or there. Well now she's gone and all of a sudden I had the urge to do this because no strap felt "thin" enough. They work out GREAT.

Here's a picture

Take care

Maria256

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Strumelia gave EXCELLENT instructions on a DIY strap years ago....

patriotic
@patriotic
8 years ago
7 posts

Anybody know if Bobby Ratliff has a web site or how's the best way to get in touch with him? I tried a Google search and couldn't find anything and a search on the FOTMD Members under his name did not turn up anything.