DAA tuning: Plus frets

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

Robin T., please don't ever delete your instructional videos. I still go back and watch them and Robin Clark's too.

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
7 years ago
188 posts
Yes they are; thank you!
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,415 posts

Strumelia, I hope the little movies are of help. :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,248 posts

I always find your videos so enjoyable and helpful Robin. You have such a practical way of solving playing problems and explaining them in a simple hands-on way.  Please don't ever delete them- they help a whole lot of people!  happydance

P.S. nice that Candy makes a little appearance in this one.  flower

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,415 posts

Just for quick viewing to let you know what are false nuts/reverse capos.  I can delete the videos later. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

That's another subject Don.  I'll answer it in another post so we can keep subject separate and easier to find.

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
7 years ago
188 posts
False nut? Capo?
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,415 posts

I have purely diatonic instruments and those with 6.5 frets and love 'em all!  I retune plenty using a false nut (at fret 1 and fret 4) from my "home base" tuning of DAA and am happy to have those extra frets when I want them.  

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
7 years ago
188 posts
I enjoy this book. I bought the hymn tab book at the Dulcimer Store in Branson, MO. They also have a store in Silver Dollar City amusement park. There are 100 hymns tabbed in the book.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Yep that is nominally DAA tab.  I've not seen other tab or publications by Tom Arnold.  Anyone else??  He must be assuming (somewhat erroneously) that everyone has a 6+ fret on their instrument.  

Not seen other DAA tab with 6+ or other added frets either...

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

Don, Thanks for posting the pictures! I was just going by a tab book of hymns that I have. Yes, those particular hymns do have accidentals. Checked them out in my Baptist Hymnal 2008. If you look at Robin's video he demonstrates how to get those in between notes. On dulcimers that don't have a 6 1/2 fret that is what you'll have to do. It's not hard. If I can do it you can too. You have a nice long space between the 6 and the 7th fret. In between is where the 6 1/2 fret would be but you really don't need it. Just touch the string with your noter in between the 6 and 7th fret then touch then end of the noter onto the fret board. As I said if you go to about 13:18 on Robin's video that I posted he demonstrates how to do that. It would be worth your time to look at the whole video. I'm assuming you want to play noter/drone style.

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
7 years ago
188 posts
I hope you can see the attachments. The book is Hymns for the Beginning Mountain Dulcimer Player.
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

I found Robin's video. If you like noter drone this is definitely worth watching and watching over and over again to get the techniques. Watch at about the 13:18 mark for getting those in between notes.

updated by @patty-from-virginia: 11/27/17 05:59:35PM
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

There are some hymns that have accidentals. Blessed Assurance is one example. I play that in DAA on my Prichard replica. The second line first measure there is a sharp (accidental) on the third note...above the word divine...note above di. I take my noter between the frets and hit the fret board while touch the string. It's kind of like bending the strings. So, on some hymns there are accidentals but you can get that in between note with the noter by placing it between the frets and touching the string with the noter touching the fret board. Robin Clark demonstrated that on his noter techniques video. Not sure if it is still on this site. As Robin said, to have a book of hymn tab that requires a 6 1/2 may be unusual. It may be tab for DAd. I usually use a hymnal and pick out some favorite hymns to play. I try to do it by reading the notes but sometimes I cheat and tab them out, LOL. I've had to transpose some but Rob Lackey helped me out on ones I've had trouble with. 

updated by @patty-from-virginia: 11/27/17 05:45:35PM
Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
7 years ago
113 posts
I use 6.5 and 13.5 fret in DAA tuning. I don't notice a 'bump' or a sound when going over it with a noter but I do remember it does take some finesse to get used to it.
I like the 5, 6, 6.5, 7 chromatic run ever once in a while.
When I want the notes I want them there.
Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
7 years ago
239 posts

Don Grundy: I ask because I have a Dulcimer book of hymns that requires a 6 1/2.

That would be very unusual for DAA TAB.  Are you sure it is not DAd TAB?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,248 posts

Don Grundy: With DAA tuning how often do you use 1 1/2; 6 1/2; 8 1/2; and 13 1/2 frets?

I use all those extra frets fairly regularly, in (DAA type) ionian tuning.  I like to play lots of renaissance and medieval music, and those tunes seem to have many accidentals in them which call for those odd sharps and flats in the middle an otherwise major/normal tune.

I also used those extra frets a whole lot when playing minor sounding archaic oldtime fiddle tunes.  I can't explain why, but I just needed them to get through the tunes.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 11/27/17 04:36:13PM
Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
7 years ago
80 posts

I sometimes use the 6.5 (and 13.5) fret when playing in DAA tuning, but not often. I don't own any instruments with other extra frets.  Mostly I find them useful when playing chord style in DAd tuning.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
7 years ago
188 posts
I ask because I have a Dulcimer book of hymns that requires a 6 1/2.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Another "Never". 

Like Robin I prefer my fretboards unadulterated with extra frets.  As he says, it's just cleaner, and I don't mind re-tuning a single string to change modes -- takes less than a minute usually.  DAA, DAC, DAG, DAd  just change the melody string to change the mode.   I keep another dulcimer tuned Ccc for singing with as that keynote suits my voice much better.  The Bagpipe tuning -- Ddd, Ccc etc. does for dulcimers without additional frets what the 6+ fret does for those who tune DAd  -- it allows me to play at least two modes --  Ionian and Mixolydian, and 'cheat' Dorian and sometimes Aeolian using grace notes to work around missing incidentals.

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
7 years ago
239 posts

Never Don,  my personal preference is for a pure diatonic fret board with no extra frets at all.  I find it much easier and cleaner when using a noter.  The standard 6 1/2 and 13 1/2 frets are pretty nonsensical notes when playing in DAA.  And re-tuning for other modes is pretty straightforward.  I do sometimes use a 6 1/2 for Galax dulcimer playing from d,d,d,d and e,e,d,d

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
7 years ago
188 posts
With DAA tuning how often do you use 1 1/2; 6 1/2; 8 1/2; and 13 1/2 frets?
updated by @don-grundy: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM