RIP Bill Taylor

Leny-Sue
Leny-Sue
@leny-sue
2 years ago
15 posts

Sorry to see the Bill Taylor tab collection is no longer available unless you are a member of the Knoxville dulcimer club. I've used it a lot in the past and am sad to have lost access to it.

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
3 years ago
68 posts

Dusty Turtle:

At the last Quarantune 5 concert yesterday, there was a nice tribute to Bill.  Tull Glazener changed his avatar screen so it was a picture of Bill and then when the concerts were over Stephen Seifert led a short jam that centered on Bill's arrangement of Rock the Cradle Joe.

The Knoxville Area Dulcimer Club has a whole page dedicated to tab donated by Bill and his wife Barbara.  You can find it here .

Thank you so much for sharing this!  What a wonderful collection!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

At the last Quarantune 5 concert yesterday, there was a nice tribute to Bill.  Tull Glazener changed his avatar screen so it was a picture of Bill and then when the concerts were over Stephen Seifert led a short jam that centered on Bill's arrangement of Rock the Cradle Joe.

The Knoxville Area Dulcimer Club has a whole page dedicated to tab donated by Bill and his wife Barbara.  You can find it here .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,073 posts

I agree with everyone that this is sad news. He will be missed not only by his family, but by all his dulcimer friends as well. He was an excellent builder and musician. Rest in piece Bill.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

marg
@marg
3 years ago
615 posts

So sad, So young & So much more to give. I love the dogwood sound holes on his dulcimers & I bet many members have one of Bill Taylor's dulcimer. Now a piece of history and a piece of his love to go on. 

Thoughts & prayers

updated by @marg: 10/10/21 09:08:28PM
Lisa Waterman
Lisa Waterman
@lisa-waterman
3 years ago
1 posts

Very sad - Bill was my first mountain dulcimer teacher - 5 days of classes in Cullowhee.  I will always remember his talent as a musician and teacher, his kindness, and our conversations about fishing.

Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
3 years ago
27 posts

I had Bill for several workshops at Mountain Dulcimer Week in Cullowhee. What a fine gentleman, great teacher, and musician. I don't own one of his dulcimers but know many people who do and love them!

R.I.P. Bill

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Sad news. Taken too soon. I hope his family can find some peace in his passing.

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
3 years ago
68 posts

Yes @dusty-turtle ….. thank you so much for sharing this interview!  
I was happy to see Emma’s Song was even mentioned!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Thank you for that link, @dusty-turtle!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

Here is a 2005 interview with Bill in Dulcimer Players News .

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
3 years ago
68 posts

Emma’s Song - written by Bill Taylor is on Masters of the Mountain Dulcimer- Volume One.  Bill wrote this song the night Emma was born.  The version that is on Masters of the Mountain Dulcimer is very special as it was recorded 15 years later, and featured Emma on the flute!

I always have been and always will be a Bill Taylor fan!

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
3 years ago
68 posts

This makes me so sad🥲. I have a beautiful Bill Taylor dulcimer, which is actually what led me to FOTMD!  He was amazing, and I had the opportunity to meet Bill at the first Knoxville Area Dulcimer Club retreat many years ago. He was so talented, so humble, and so much fun!  He sang and played the best ever version of “The Preacher and the Bear”!  And “Emma’s Song” is, to this day, one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard!

Rest In Peace Bill 💙

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Though I never met Bill Taylor, I have seen others write wonderful things about him.  My heart goes out to his family.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

That's so sad.  I know Bill was not only a great luthier but also an important part of the dulcimer scene in Tennessee and generously shared tablature arrangements.

I have a stunningly beautiful Bill Taylor dulcimer. It's not my main playing dulcimer, so I periodically think I should sell it. But then I take it out of the case and fall in love again.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

Tennessee dulcimer maker Bill Taylor has passed away. Here is an obituary:

https://www.knoxnews.com/obituaries/kns040386

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 10/09/21 07:05:32PM