International Appalachian Dulcimer Day

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
22 hours ago
1,415 posts

Yay, @dusty!  I hope lots of folks do the same, too!   

We have an audio recorded and uploaded and will make it "Public" on IADD.  party2

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
yesterday
1,720 posts

I just recorded a video. I'll be sharing it with y'all this Saturday. I hope lots of you do the same.  Happy IADD! pimento

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 days ago
1,415 posts

1 week from today is International Appalachian Dulcimer Day!  dulcimer  

Feel free to share any work you create (music, photography, embroidery, jewelry, poetry, etc.) which celebrates the Appalachian dulcimer and its spread around the world!  

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/23/24 11:59:38AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 weeks ago
1,415 posts

Today, it's the first Saturday in March.  The last Saturday in March will be International Appalachian Dulcimer Day.  dulcimer

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
one month ago
35 posts

Indeed! Including Christ the Lord Is Risen Tomorrow...!  (tada-bump)

Actually that would make a beautiful chord melody piece.  : - ) 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
1,415 posts

Indeed, the last Saturday is 30 March and Easter is the following day.  Perhaps some may wish to celebrate the Appalachian dulcimer on IADD with a hymn or two.  

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
one month ago
35 posts

It also happens to be Easter weekend this year, but since it's Saturday vs Sunday one hopes that doesn't affect too many people. Anyone hosting may be a bit too busy to make it to the park, but jellybeans for those who do! 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 months ago
1,415 posts

You're welcome, @wildcat !  Hope you'll enjoy the day strumming your Warren May mountain dulcimer!  

@ken-longfield , Yes, it falls late in the month this year.  Happy strumming! 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
1,073 posts

Which this year is March 30th, the fifth Saturday.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Wildcat
Wildcat
@wildcat
2 months ago
22 posts

@robin-thompson 😀 thanks for the info!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 months ago
1,415 posts

Hey, friends-- our special holiday is approaching!  Always the last Saturday in March.  dulcimer

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

There were several folks who participated in International Appalachian Dulcimer Day on Facebook. dulcimer dulcimer1

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,720 posts

Thanks for your supportive comments, @robin-thompson and @ariane.  I just love the fact that we are making IADD a way to celebrate our love for this humble instrument.

@nate, there is no doubt that dulcimer has a very bright, clear tone. Perhaps extra volume, too, although that's hard to gauge through the internet.  I look forward to hearing a full test run.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/26/23 01:27:51PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@dusty What a great online gathering y'all had on IADD!  And your play of "La Promeneuse" is wonderful! 

@nate The strums you gave on that conceptual instrument sure sounded good-- lots of punch.  I'm guessing with your dowels, footed bridge, and false bottom the instrument will project nicely on whatever tune you choose to put up to demonstrate its sound.  

Happy IADD, y'all!   

Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
last year
50 posts

@Dusty - this is a lovely song and you played it so laid-back and formidable - I would love to learn "La Promeneuse"

@Nate - the dulcimer you have built looks great and very interesting and the sound is wonderful - I am looking forward to hearing you playing it when it is finished (and to hearing your wonderful deep voice again smile )

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
last year
238 posts

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,720 posts

It was so cool to wake up on the west coast and catch up on the photos and videos already posted celebrating IADD.  My monthly online dulcimer club met today and I want to thank @Lisa-C for catching a screen shot before everyone left.

20230325Zoompartial group.png

We played the American fiddle tune "Hollow Poplar," the Irish air "Bright Quiet Eily O'Carroll," and the Jimmy Rodgers tune "Waiting for a Train."

Then I also posted a tune on my own: "La Promeneuse," by the Québécois accordionist Réjean Lizotte.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/25/23 09:45:36PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@lisa-c I love your photo!  As you wrote, we celebrate the sweet music and the community of caring players-- truly, a wonderful community. 

Lisa C
Lisa C
@lisa-c
last year
11 posts

Celebrating the sweet music and its growing community of caring players. Thank you, fotmd, for this special #internationalappalachiandulcimerday. 20230322Lisa3dulcimers.png

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@ariane Your music & your friendship bring joy to us!  I'll keep my eyes open for postings from around the world for IADD!  

Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
last year
50 posts

@Alegre1 - Thank you so much for this lovely video - I have just watched it and enjoyed it very much.

@Robin & Mark - I am very much looking forward to hearing your video - your music is always balm for my soul and ears

Many greetings from Germany over the pond

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

This Saturday-- the last one in March-- is International Appalachian Dulcimer Day for 2023!

Mark & I have a video uploaded to YouTube (it took hours!!!) and it will publish at 12:00AM, 25 March in celebration of #internationalappalachiandulcimerday .

I look forward to seeing how you all mark the day to celebrate the mountain dulcimer and its spread around the world!   

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,248 posts

@hugssandi , so good to see you post again here on fotmd!  howdy

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@hugssandi I'll be looking for a video from you on International Appalachian Dulcimer Day! dulcimer

hugssandi
@hugssandi
last year
244 posts

I would so love for folks to friend me on fb and flood my page with vids of you playing on that day!  --Sandi Lowery

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
last year
30 posts

Dusty Turtle:

That's a sweet video, @alegre1.  Thank you.

Thank you Dusty for the kind words! Linda sun

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
last year
30 posts

NateBuildsToys:

really terrific @alegre1 . One of my absolute favorite things about the dulcimer, that a couple people brought up in this video, is the low barrier of entry. So many people who don't consider themselves to be musically inclined find joy in making music with a dulcimer. Many times folks have expressed to me that they don't consider themselves musical and as soon as they learn to put enough pressure on the fret to get a clean note, they're enjoying playing music. It's cool to have an ambassador such as yourself for our lovely instrument. 
-Nate

That is mighty kind, Nate, but I'd call myself like the person you describe rather than an ambassador. I had given up hope of ever being able to play an instrument until I found the dulcimer in my late fifties and then it was love at first sound.  I like that it will challenge me for the rest of my life but, as it does so, I still get to play songs!  Best regards, Linda

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
last year
30 posts

Ken Longfield:

Wonderful video, alegre1. Thank you for creating and sharing it.

Ken

Aw shucks, thank you! I had fun making it with these friends and for the new Tn. club

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
1,073 posts

Wonderful video, alegre1. Thank you for creating and sharing it.

Ken

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
last year
238 posts

really terrific @alegre1 . One of my absolute favorite things about the dulcimer, that a couple people brought up in this video, is the low barrier of entry. So many people who don't consider themselves to be musically inclined find joy in making music with a dulcimer. Many times folks have expressed to me that they don't consider themselves musical and as soon as they learn to put enough pressure on the fret to get a clean note, they're enjoying playing music. It's cool to have an ambassador such as yourself for our lovely instrument. 
-Nate

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,720 posts

That's a sweet video, @alegre1.  Thank you.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@alegre1 I enjoyed your "Why Play the Dulcimer" very much!  I imagine it will help attract new people to mountain dulcimer because of the joys of doing so expressed by the folks in the video.  

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
last year
30 posts

Robin Thompson:

It will be a delight to see how you all celebrate the day!  @dusty-turtle will be with a group and, perhaps, other friends will be, too.  I'll be at my usual playing location (home) with my usual playing partner (Mark). music

Hi Robin and everyone who might be interested for International Dulcimer Day,

Hi Everyone, In case anyone might be interested in a "Why Play the Dulcimer" promo for your club, I've attached a link to a five minute video I made for a friend who is launching a new club in Middle Tennessee to help her attract new members.  The file is too big to attach here, but here's a link from her library's Facebook page, and so I think you can save the video that way if you'd like to use it. 

Happy Playing!

(Looks like you might have to cut and paste it into the URL space)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iiSRd9TtCUnwz5y2AwnEGp5j7MiTWpv6/view?fbclid=IwAR2qO49okapHt1G_C8pq6foVvjKYUUByAgSpQ_Xaknm5SBwleXxbrJr3qQU

updated by @alegre1: 03/06/23 02:05:44PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

It will be a delight to see how you all celebrate the day!  @dusty-turtle will be with a group and, perhaps, other friends will be, too.  I'll be at my usual playing location (home) with my usual playing partner (Mark). music

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,720 posts

My online dulcimer group meets the fourth Saturday of the month, so we'll be celebrating IADD together.  Cant' wait! joyjoy

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
last year
30 posts

[quote="Ariane"]

@Alegre1 - Hi Alegre, I have just seen that I did not sent you an answer to your kind post...I am very happy that you like my last year's Appalachian waltz and look forward to this year`s International Appalachian Dulcimer Day - it is just such a lovely initiative from Robin dulcimer

[/quote] [quote="Ariane"]

No worries, Ariane ... your music says everything! HUG

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

I cannot take credit for International Appalachian Dulcimer day-- it sprang out of a discussion of which I was just one of the voices here at FOTMD.   grphug

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/02/23 08:54:22AM
Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
last year
50 posts

@Alegre1 - Hi Alegre, I have just seen that I did not sent you an answer to your kind post...I am very happy that you like my last year's Appalachian waltz and look forward to this year`s International Appalachian Dulcimer Day - it is just such a lovely initiative from Robin dulcimer

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
last year
30 posts

Alegre1:

Robin Thompson:

Yes, the 'official' International Appalachian Dulcimer Day in 2023 is Saturday 25 March.  In a thread here at FOTMD, we landed on choosing the last Saturday in March as the day.   

Thank you so much for this reminder!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

The last Saturday of this month! dulcimer

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/01/23 07:13:57PM
Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
last year
30 posts

Robin Thompson:

Yes, the 'official' International Appalachian Dulcimer Day in 2023 is Saturday 25 March.  In a thread here at FOTMD, we landed on choosing the last Saturday in March as the day.   

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
1,073 posts

My bad. It is the last Saturday in March which is the 25th. Note; the 25th not the 28th. I will go back and edit my post.

Ken

The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
last year
35 posts

Yep. So you're also saying the 'official' day is the last Saturday of March, right?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@ken-longfield & @leo-kretzner I just checked my calendar and the last Saturday in March in 2023 is the 25th.  

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
last year
35 posts

Yes, better to plan ahead than plan behind, always. nod

I was trying to remember if it's the last day of March or the last weekend - but the 28th is a Tues, so I remain confused on that. 

In any event, there will definitely be an open jam in Claremont, probly on Sun the 26th, to be finalized.

Dulcimer Day rocks!  

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@ken-longfield I'm happy you gave this thread a bump!  I need to plan a tune to celebrate. dulcimer1

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
1,073 posts

Just giving everyone a heads up on IADD which will be on March 25th this year. It's not too early to begin planning both your music and fun for International Appalachian Dulcimer Day.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 01/04/23 08:28:06PM
Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
2 years ago
30 posts

Ariane:

In celebration of the today's #internationalappalachiandulcimerday please find my original composition called "Waltzing in the Appalachians" - I would be happy if you enjoyed it (best listened to it with headphones).

The journey with this special musical instrument started for me in 2018 - and the magic is not only its sweet sound and beautiful look but also all the very kind dulcimer players one can meet all over the world grphug

Happy dulcimering!

Ariane

I just found your piece and absolutely love it.  Thank you for such beautiful work!  

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
2 years ago
45 posts

How wonderful to see the way this all took off!  I'm just sorry I missed it somehow.  I'll put this on my calendar for next year!  Clearly I need to stay on top of things with fotmd.  giggle2

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

As far as I know, there were folks from 5 or 6 different countries who participated in IADD-- yay!  It has been a joy to see so many deriving joy from playing Appalachian dulcimers.  

Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
2 years ago
14 posts

Well done everybody! Greatly enjoyed the videos. 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

@macaodha Val, I hope you had opportunity to make music to celebrate International Appalachian Dulcimer Day!  

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
2 years ago
33 posts

Best wishes to all on this International Appalachian Dulcimer Day.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Wow, @dusty-turtle you had a great group for IADD!  And your cover of Lucinda Williams's Lake Charles is so good!

@slate-creek-dulcimers Your Hand to the Plow is just right on that pretty instrument you made!  And your singing sounds old (you know I mean that in a good way).

@steve-c So good you could share the good word of the joy of Appalachian dulcimer music-making!   

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/26/22 07:05:09PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

It was so fun to wake up here on the west coast and find so many people had already been posting such good music on the first ever IADD. Thanks @robin-thompson, @ariane, @gordon-hardy, and @slate-creek-dulcimers, for sharing good tunes on our favorite instrument.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/26/22 04:58:52PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

My online dulcimer club met today. We were over 20, and several mentioned that they had already posted something for IADD. We played 5 songs together: Green Grow the Lilacs, Harlequein Air, Marche Nuptiale, Rickett's Hornpipe, and Southwind. 

And separately I also posted a cover of a Lucinda Williams tune: Lake Charles .

Here's a screen shot one of the participants sent me:

Happy IAD DayappreciatingDusty.jpg

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/26/22 04:52:49PM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Just finished playing dulcimer at our local antique store.  Introduced the dulcimer to people wha have never met her…😊

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

This is good music folks! Thanks for sharing you talent on IADD.

Ken

"The dulcimer (and its players) sing a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

How I enjoy seeing music from lovers of the Appalachian dulcimer from places near and far!  Wonderful music, friends!  

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
2 years ago
27 posts

To mark International Appalachian Dulcimer Day here is my version of The Leaving Shanty

Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
2 years ago
50 posts

In celebration of the today's #internationalappalachiandulcimerday please find my original composition called "Waltzing in the Appalachians" - I would be happy if you enjoyed it (best listened to it with headphones).

The journey with this special musical instrument started for me in 2018 - and the magic is not only its sweet sound and beautiful look but also all the very kind dulcimer players one can meet all over the world grphug

Happy dulcimering!

Ariane

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
2 years ago
64 posts

Nice.

Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
2 years ago
50 posts

Dear Robin and Mark - I enjoy your wonderful music so very much! bighug (...and what a nice t-shirt you are wearing, Robin jive

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Friends, it's International Appalachian Dulcimer Day!  I wish you all peace and joy and lots of happy strumming!   

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

It's so cool that this is taking off.  Tull Glazener will be posting as well and just sent out an email with @steve-c's poster and offering tab for an original composition, available only on IADD!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
2 years ago
50 posts

That's a wonderful idea and I have just finished my recording for tomorrow sun

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Tomorrow's THE day! sun

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Ah, so now we know: 1) why Leo could not attach a word file, and 2) why there was suddenly a .pdf there that Leo did not put there. Mysteries solved!

smile

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

To explain the confusion, I turned Leo's Word file into a pdf and posted it in his thread.  I was trying to be helpful smile , but this appears to have caused enormous confusionshrugger .  Just call me an agitator nahnah (or maybe a gremlin).

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/23/22 01:04:32PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Leo Kretzner:

(I'd post the flyer with all details, but Word docs are not showing up after choosing 'Attach File.' (Computers still hate me.))

Leo, I have our site code set to not allow people to attach word docs to posts, because that type of file can contain malware code. It's just a site safety setting that has nothing to do with you.

--
Site Owner

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
35 posts

I conclude (half believing it) that it was necessary for me to leave the page, the computer and the room it's in for it to work!! Have no idea how it turned into a PDF from a Word doc. It's all voodoo and gremlins, but sometimes they're friendly...  

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
35 posts

Thanks, Gregg, for posting about our Saturday get-together and open jam at Claremont's Shelton Park! We'll be there on Saturday from Noon to 3 - or longer if the turnout warrants it! C'mon down!! 

(I'd post the flyer with all details, but Word docs are not showing up after choosing 'Attach File.' (Computers still hate me.))   [And yet, lo and behold, a flyer has appeared -- DT]

updated by @leo-kretzner: 03/23/22 11:16:22AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts
Hey Gregg, I'm glad to hear there will be a live celebration of the first annual International Dulcimer Day! Make sure you take a picture or maybe a video and share it with us.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
 / 2