International Appalachian Dulcimer Day

Gregg Schneeman
Gregg Schneeman
@gregg-schneeman
2 years ago
27 posts

Hi Dusty, just saying I'm going to be meeting up with Leo Kretzner and as many Dulcimer Players that show up at the Shelton Park Dulcimer Statue, corner of W.Bonita Ave and Harvard Ave.N. in Claremont CA for International Appalachian Dulcimer Day!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

The IADD stickers arrived today. The coloring came out significantly darker than I had expected, but they're perfectly fine otherwise.  The yellow lettering is easy to read against the background, but you have to look closely to see that the background shows the soundholes and fretboard of a dulcimer.

If anyone wants one (or a few), contact me by PM.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Thanks a bunch, Dusty!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Of course, @robin-thompson.  I'm sharing the image specifically so that others might make use of it.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/09/22 03:29:04AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

@dusty-turtle, I like your sticker image and wonder whether I may share it on social media? 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

I just ordered some square stickers using this design. Shipping costs may prevent me from sending them around to everyone, but feel free to download the image yourselves.

IADD for stickers.jpg
IADD for stickers.jpg  •  144KB

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/09/22 03:28:47AM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Sorry, I was just kidding about making it a month, but I did think it was interesting to list events going on in the month.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

I agree with the approach of keeping it simple- go with our original name and designated day in March. Don't worry about what others may/may not be doing.
I agree with Robin's thoughts about it being a simple celebration that anyone can be part of from their own home in whatever way they can or would like to. Complicating things or broadening the scope only makes people not want to do anything themselves.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

@steve-c Folks can do whatever they like.  Personally, I'm all for keeping a focus on a single day and leaving things as they are.  We are not an "official" group of any kind-- I think of it as whoever posts to celebrate on 26 March 2022 as an equal participant in the day.  For my part, I hope to keep up with responding to the posts of all who respond on IADD which I see here and which come down my Facebook feed.  For what it's worth, I saw no names with which I was familiar on the FB group you found.  

EDIT: I just looked at that International Mountain Dulcimer Players Day group on FB again.  It seems members were not posting their own music to celebrate the day but sharing the music of others.  At least that's what it looked like may have been the focus.          

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/01/22 07:57:01AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

FOTMD member @david-bennett is the one who maintains that heritage dulcimer material, and he provides links to the relevant pages in the Mountain Dulcimer History and Traditions Group.  I would encourage everyone to join that group and give that compelling stuff a read, not only in March but all year long.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Got it.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Steve- I'm sorry but i had to delete a couple of your posts that were copied from another site. The formatting of the text, ads, headlines, and pictures was so gigantic that it screwed up the page here on fotmd. Plus run-on lines. It made everything here impossible to read and would also generate Google errors concerning posts with huge items or text that doesn't fit on a page. Try to not copy/paste chunks of content directly from other sites, thanks!  hi

--
Site Owner

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Lots of Jean Ritchie and Ed Thomas history in March…

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Today in Mountain Dulcimer History for March:

https://heritagedulcimers.wordpress.com/today-in-mountain-dulcimer-history/timdh-march/

updated by @steve-c: 02/28/22 08:09:42PM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

@robin-thompson, Maybe if we have a couple of groups designating March for Dulcimer events we should make it International Appalachian Dulcimer Month?  

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

@steve-c, I looked and found International Mountain Dulcimer Players Day.  The page went up a year ago and the group has 90 members.  I appreciate your posting about it here and agree with you that it doesn't change anything with us.  For my part, I'm glad we have no Facebook page (nor website)-- we're all just friends spreading the word to all who'd like to participate in a grassroots celebration of the Appalachian dulcimer.    

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I have found a Facebook page entitled international Mountain Dulcimer Players Day, March 9th.   I am not on Facebook so I don’t know if it is active or not…I don’t think it affects us, but wanted you all to know.

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

If you are on messenger you could send a flyer for IADD to your dulcimer friends….just saying…🥴

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Neat, Dusty!  Count me as in line to order a sticker.  Or two.   

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/28/22 07:10:48AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

OK, here's the latest version using @leo-kretzner's photo.  I had some square stickers made of something else a while back, and I as soon as I can get a discounted rate, I'll have some of these printed up.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

That's a wonderful photo of Jean Ritchie with Bess Cronin, Val @macaodha !  I've tried to find out whether it is under copyright yet no luck.  The idea of Jean introducing the Appalachian dulcimer to Ireland is such a lovely thought-- the first (or one of the earliest) steps in the instrument being introduced internationally.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

We should be careful about using photographs taken by other people. For example, many of the nicer photos of Jean Ritchie were taken by her photographer husband George Pickow, and of course the family owns the rights to them.

--
Site Owner

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I love my John Stockard!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Yes, Leo, the other photo is one of my own.  It's a John Stockard baritone.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
35 posts

Dusty, I don't recognize the dulcimer in your 'another potential sticker' mock-up. That photo is from elsewhere, isn't it? Very distinctive sound holes and nice details - who made that one? 

For what it's worth, the heart motif is SO much associated with dulcimers and the older dulcimers especially, a photo that includes hearts in the design would seem very appropriate. 

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
2 years ago
33 posts

I have a beautiful photo of Jean playing dulcimer in the kitchen of Bess Cronin, having difficulty posting this picture. 1952 possibly the first time a mountain dulcimer was ever seen or heard in Ireland. 

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
35 posts

The dulcimer is by James Tranthum of Canton, NC. Photo taken in the mid-80s.

I've got a number of photos of dulcimers with this sort of 'heart-modified f-hole,' each by different makers, but the smaller hearts on the fretboard mark that dulcimer as J Tranthum's. While MD sound hole design is delightfully all over the map, this is perhaps a popular sub-type. See also Force and d'Ossche, for example. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Here's another potential sticker.  Still playing around with the possibilities.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Leo, I stole the image from among your soundhole photos,  It was made by James A. Tranthum.

I changed the coloring and some other details, but it was pretty red in your original.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
35 posts

Very keen eye, Robin! It does look like a dulcimer I've photographed, but I don't own the instrument. Fine with me for it to be used. Let me look and see what info, if any, I've got on that photo - in particular, who made the dulcimer! 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Yeah, we should probably get @leo-kretzner's permission before we start circulating that pic.  I'm trying to come up with something that can easily be made into a sticker or slapped onto a website.

I like it!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Yeah, we should probably get @leo-kretzner's permission before we start circulating that pic.  I'm trying to come up with something that can easily be made into a sticker or slapped onto a website.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Is that image meant to be shared, @dusty-turtle?  (I think I recognize that instrument as being one owned by @leo-kretzner .  I've admired it before.) 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

It's good to know word is getting out there!   Here's another simple image some folks might like.

IADD bleeding heart more square with hashtags.jpg

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
marg
@marg
2 years ago
615 posts

I saw this, posted by Dulcimer Society of Dayton  on FB, this morning. Word is getting out.

dulcimer day.png
dulcimer day.png  •  1.3MB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

The word is spreading about IADD-- yay!  

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Well I'm a child of the 70s, so this is the ad I imagine:

Imperial Whiskey IADD.jpg

love it!  I have an original copy of that ad. I think share every ad you can.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

I held my monthly online dulcimer club today and told everyone about IADD.  About 20 people attended and they're all excited.  We meet next on the last Saturday in March, so we'll be celebrating together.  I'll try to get a screen shot and post it here.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Well I'm a child of the 70s, so this is the ad I imagine:

Imperial Whiskey IADD.jpg

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Here, maybe try this version, I upped the contrast a bit with the white text. Here's a jpg and a pdf of same thing.

Should look fine printed out either in color or in greyscale...

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 02/26/22 10:47:07PM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I hope this poster is better...fingers crossed.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Perhaps others will make videos to share with their friends to encourage participation in the day?  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Yes, the link works now, Robin.  I deleted my post since it wasn't needed anymore.

Thanks for doing all you do! bighug

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

I made a very informal video to share on YT and FB.  And included hashtags in the description, too.  I don't participate a lot in various dulcimer groups on FB so will, likely, just share the video on YT and from my personal FB page.  If y'all see anything amiss (other than the poor lighting and lack of fluidity in my speaking and Mark playing guitar downstairs), feel free to let me know and I can edit a bit. nod     

https://youtu.be/9IeJbS_tb48

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/26/22 12:02:41PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Thanks, @dusty-turtle!  That helps a lot.  

I plan to make a little video for YouTube to share to my Facebook in which I will hold up the little sign I wrote on the inside of a piece of a cereal box and invite folks to participate.  On YT, I will add a hashtag (or two-- one spelling out #internationalappalachiandulcimerday and one using #IADD .  And will do likewise on FB and encourage others to use the hashtag(s), too.  If I do it correctly, great.  If I don't, well, no harm done.     

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/26/22 07:51:08AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

The hashtag will only accomplish anything if your comments are public and if others start using it.  By all means, @robin-thompson, go for it, and encourage others to do so.  So at the end of your short explanation (which you italicize below) perhaps you could ask that people use the hashtag when they share their stories, videos, etc.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/10/22 01:17:54AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

I look forward to what Bubbles has to say about hashtags, Dusty.  I've used them for worldwide Play Music on the Porch Day but that's about it.  If the two of you talk and think it's a good idea to use a hashtag for International Appalachian Dulcimer Day, we can give it a go. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

That's a nice description, Robin.  It captures the spirit of the day perfectly.

And I'm not the right person to ask about hashtags.  I can check with my teenage daughter, though.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Strumelia: Dusty, you are a mover and a shaker!  dancecool

Well, my belly shakes when I move like that dancing smiley!blinders

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

On Facebook, I added this bit of text to accompany the picture of my little homemade sign: 

A day to celebrate the Appalachian Dulcimer-- both its origins and its spread around the world! You choose how to mark the day and, please, feel free to share how you celebrate the day. Play music, write a poem, share a story related to the instrument, create an artwork-- the sky's the limit!

I'm wondering about us starting a hashtag?  I don't actually know how they work so if y'all think it's a good idea, I'll add a hashtag.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Dusty, you are a mover and a shaker!  dancecool

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

In the positive thread, FOTMD members came to a consensus that there ought to be a day dedicated to the celebration of our favorite instrument, and we arrived at the last Saturday in March as International Appalachian Dulcimer Day.

Let's use this space to share resources, outreach ideas, and photos, video, and text descriptions of celebrations of this new and special day.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/04/23 04:24:59AM

/ 2