the "Millennia Whoop" saturating current popular music

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Yup, Dusty, that's the one, So HAppy Together! I guess limited tunes are nothing new - but I do long for a good tune now and then...

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

How could I not respond that you are referring to a song by whom?  The Turtles!  So Happy Together?

Annie, you are certainly correct, but I would suggest that songs with no range are nothing new.  Remember the song "Da Doo Ron Ron?" It was a top ten hit in the early 60s by the Crystals and again in 1977 by Shaun Cassidy. The melody (both A and B parts) only has 3 notes!  Do Re and Mi!  You can play the whole melody using only three frets on a single string on your dulcimer.  And the chorus doesn't even make any sense!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

And another thing: most pop songs these days seem to use the whoops instead of a tune. IMHO the range of notes used is often too narrow.i.e. moving up or down 1 note or 2, rather than all over the place in a melodic way. Does anybody remember the song that had in the chorus "I can't see me lovin' nobody but you, for all my life."? Now that was a tune! 

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Ha!  I knew there was a good reason I was up in the middle of the night!

Great seeing Bubbles again!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Two lovely backup singers!  Delightful... and yet... terrifying.  You may become famous for this one.  Watch out.  hi5

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,083 posts

Loved it Dusty.

Ken

"The dulcimer whoops a sweet song."

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

HA!  ~greatest video everrrrr, Dusty~  :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

And now presenting . . . for the first time anywhere (except when they made the recording) . . . Dusty and the Millennial Whoopers!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 09/18/16 01:10:20PM
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Lisa Golladay:

This could be our opportunity to break new ground in the folk tradition.  In Scarlet Town where I was born (wah-oh wah-oh) there was a fair maid dwellin' (wah-oh wah-oh wah-oh)...

Oh my, Lisa. You know I have to post a video of that, don't you!

All those hours in the car listening to Katy Perry make you just the man to do it!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Lisa Golladay:

This could be our opportunity to break new ground in the folk tradition.  In Scarlet Town where I was born (wah-oh wah-oh) there was a fair maid dwellin' (wah-oh wah-oh wah-oh)...

Oh my, Lisa. You know I have to post a video of that, don't you!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 09/16/16 03:39:02PM
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Dusty, you are a wonderful Dad.  I could only handle a 1:4 ratio of Millennial Whoop to Other without going crazy.  Although I do enjoy whooping along sometimes. 

Slate has a fun article about this: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/08/29/the_millennial_whoop_the_simple_wa_oh_ing_melodic_sequence_showing_up_all.html

Andy Samberg's parody video on that page is great fun, although some might be offended by the language (which is kinda the point).  Millennials mocking their own ;)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Well I don't find the repetitive whoop as annoying as the synthesized vocals.  There's no good reason to put a voice through a synthesizer unless a) you want to sound like a robot, or b) you are tying to hide the faults in the voice.

And we shouldn't pretend that the music we love is less repetitive than today's commercial pop. Every song in the 50s had that same I - vi - IV - V chord progression (Earth Angel, Blue Moon, Goodnight Sweetheart, Heart and Soul, Put Your Head on My Shoulder, etc.).

And 90 percent of the folk tunes that we love are so repetitive that Butch Ross teaches a workshop entitled "If You Like One Folk Song You'll Like the Other One" in which he teaches the patterns in music that appear in nearly every tune.

But none of that refutes the fact that the whoop is pretty darn annoying.

I have an 11-year-old.  When we drive in the car, the music we listen to follows this pattern:  

1) millenial whoop song

2) old cajun fiddle tune

3) millenial whoop song

4) clawhammer banjo tune

5) millenial whoop song

6) acoustic blues tune

7) millenial whoop song

8) appalachian fiddle tune

The upside? Maybe she'll remember the Balfa Brothers or Son House or Jean Ritchie.  The downside? I can (sometimes) recognize the differences between Ariana Grande, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 09/16/16 03:41:28PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Well pretty much the only time I actually hear current 'pop' music is when it's inflicted on me against my will-  while pumping gas, in an airport, waiting at the car dealership or doctor's office, in a restaurant.  So most of the time I don't have to hear any 'whoops'.  bigsmile

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,425 posts

You've got me afraid to watch, Strumelia!  Haha!  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

This is so weird- YES I hear it everywhere now!  Should never have watched this video...now it'll bug me to no end...lol

http://qz.com/767812/millennial-whoop/

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/13/19 05:09:18PM