It's like finding a 1965 brand new Mustang

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
7 years ago
113 posts

D. Chitwood:

So this koa folkroots. I have given it a name. Jimmy Earl, ala James Earl Jones, "Luke I am your Father". The deep, rich voice this dulcimer has blows me away BUT...that longer vsl, I just can't do it. It will go the way of my last two mcspaddens and I will be sticking to the shorter 25-26" vsl. But seriously folks...how did Howard get such a boomy voice outta these things. Nothing comes close. 

That's a funny name! I prefer the 25" - 26" scale for whatever style I play.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Dana, the longer VSL should not be a problem if you play in a drone style. Consider using this dulcimer (and others with VSLs too long for comfortable chording) specifically for tunes played on the melody string with the drones . . . uh . . . droning.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

So this koa folkroots. I have given it a name. Jimmy Earl, ala James Earl Jones, "Luke I am your Father". The deep, rich voice this dulcimer has blows me away BUT...that longer vsl, I just can't do it. It will go the way of my last two mcspaddens and I will be sticking to the shorter 25-26" vsl. But seriously folks...how did Howard get such a boomy voice outta these things. Nothing comes close. 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

I also have been finding dulcimers and fixing them up and loaning them out so I can get a dulcimer club going here.  SUCH a beautiful dulcimer.  cone on, give us a tune!!  aloha, irene

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Haha, Steven, it's like the Incredible Mr. Limpet had a dulcimer baby. Laugh

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
8 years ago
143 posts

Nice find, Dana! Funny, I thought I heard some dulcimer playing in the distance...dulcimer

Steven 

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Haha, Brian, I actually played Nut Factory Shuffle yesterday and it was so loud, I'm pretty certain the birds flew off the trees. He gets such good volume with that deep body!

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Haha, wouldn't that be the bees' knees! The problem is though....I got this dulcimer to give to a young friend who visits once a year from the UK. She sat and played my dulcimers for two weeks last year (having never played before) and I wanted to surprise her with her very own, in a hard case for the travel back. 

I wasn't expecting this one to be...Koa. And so amazing, haha! Folk Roots have the richest, buttery smooth and yet loud voice of all my dulcimers so I might need to keep looking for Lianne. :)

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
8 years ago
94 posts

Very nice Dana! Now let's hear a tune.  ;)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

Wow!  Lucky you. What a great find!  Capritaurus and FolkRoots dulcimers pop up every so often, especially here in California, but I've never seen one made of koa.  I know Neal Hellman and Michael Rugg used to work the Ren Fairs on a regular basis.  They would play all day hoping to entice people to buy a dulcimer. Neal repeatedly mentions how good his playing got when you played all day.  Kind of makes sense, huh? Maybe that's the secret.  I just need to find a job that pays me to play the dulcimer.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Noah Aikens
Noah Aikens
@noah-aikens
8 years ago
33 posts

just beautiful.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

How exciting! Thank you for finding that out. I found Howard's response on E.D. and I'm very excited to know this!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

WOW!  That is great.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,073 posts

Well, I was wrong about the back and sides. Howard tells us that it is koa. What a great find.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 12/07/16 09:10:03PM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

I'm looking forward to hearing from Howard in this. I also posted in Everything Dulcimer and sent an email. I changed out the strings just now, played a tune and woke up every single solitary person taking an afternoon nap between here and the Mississippi. This thing has a VOICE, Lord help mercy! I love it, ha!!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,073 posts

Howard can give you the full details on your instrument, but since the label says "Rugg & Jackel" that would mean it was made during or after 1976. Before then it would have been "Rugg, Rugg and Jackel." The D200 is the model number with the "S" signifying a spruce top. The back and sides appear to be mahogany. I can't tell if they were still using a laminated wood at this point. I'm sure if Howard see this, he will offer the definitive answer. Hope this helps.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

So I bought a brand new (yet old) FolkRoots dulcimer from a fellow in CA. He bought it at a renaissance fair..he thinks back in the 80s. The gal he bought it for never played it. So basically it's brand spankin new. I got it today and it's gorgeous. The case is mint and it looks like Howard just handed it over this morning.

With that said, I want to learn a bit more. The inside label says Rugg & Jackel Folk Roots dulcimers  D200 S 170 Nothing is kerfed on the inside. The top is light and the back darker and the fretboard looks to be walnut or mahogany with the little pick marks both woods have. Any info would be appreciated!

FolkRoots.jpg
FolkRoots.jpg  •  41KB

FR back.jpg
FR back.jpg  •  41KB

updated by @d-chitwood: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM