Looking for a pick

marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

hewalker,

Thank you, sounds like you have a great fellow to invent what you need if can't be found & welcome. Is the photo of your dulcimers, I just got another one & now thinking of how to reorganize them - not a bad problem ;-)

HEWalker
HEWalker
@hewalker
7 years ago
27 posts

My husband designed and makes my picks-they rest comfortably as a standard pick but swivel out of the way to allow fingerpicking without any skipped beat!

marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

Strumelia,   (accidentally deleted-)

No worries, just assume I did something.

Thanks for all you do

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,255 posts

Marg, your thread was accidentally deleted- very sorry!  I've retrieved it and reposted it for you- please continue your thread there as you intended.  Sorry for the inconvenience!   

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

Has anyone used a thumb pick for using & sliding their thumb so they don't tear it up?

(Hope this is ok here, just tried posting under a new post 'Thumb Pick' but it vanish)

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
7 years ago
155 posts

I've had some sucess using the plastic lids from microwave soups, chili and stews.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
234 posts

Gail,

I found one that is by Herdim which looks like the one I use. It is the small sharp teardrop pick. Yellow is light, red is medium and blue is stiff. I may have found a source though it looks like it is limited in quantity. Song of the Wood in Black Mountain, NC used to carry them but they no longer stock them.

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
7 years ago
70 posts

I use a pick that looks like the yellow one and really like it for playing some things.  It is a Herdim teardrop.  All I can find on line says it's the small size.  I am ordering some through Amazon to see if they are the same size as the ones I am using.  The Folkcraft dulcimer site also has them. 

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
234 posts

Credit card plastic is a mite too stiff and plastic container lids a bit too limber. I am continuing to look.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,126 posts

I made a pick like the elongated Schilling, cut from an old credit card.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
7 years ago
252 posts
I cut my own out of plastic lids and containers. Robert.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,126 posts

Search on"Jean Schilling vintage guitar picks", you'll find them sold here and there at pick collecting sites, on Ebay, etc.

D'Andrea -- dandreausa.com -- made those teardrop Jean Schilling picks and one shaped like a dulcimer; but no longer apparently.

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
7 years ago
143 posts

Try Herdim picks...Folkcraft sells a small (?) one shaped like yours (I believe they used to sell larger ones of the same style). Good luck!

Steven

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
234 posts

I use an elongated teardop shaped pick. Several internet searches have not revealed anything like I prefer.

A picture is attached. The tourtise shell appearing one came with my first dulcimer and has Jean Schilling's signature on it. Any help would be appreciated as to source to procure something like those in the picture.

Dulcimer picks.JPG.jpg