Ho Ho Ho and here I go again- buying another dulcimer!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,253 posts

Yikes, I remember when PopTarts were invented! I was 10, and it was 1964. Everyone thought they were so exciting and new. Before that there was only toast. My brothers and I wanted them for breakfast desperately, but a box only lasted for a few minutes around our place. I have not eaten a Poptart since 1969.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

We had pop tarts for breakfast, hot pockets for lunch

Tonight we'll be scrounging a crumb or a scrap

It's Christmas, you know, but I have a hunch

Mama's still strumming the dulcimer on her lap

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Haha! I'm partial to the "Pop tarts for Christmas dinner" one. LOLGrin.gif I mean who has time for turkey's when I NEED to be strumming my new dulcimer? I'll just cook most of it the night before, or we'll just have a later dinner. You may be on to something though in suggesting I write my own song for it. Hmmmmm..... got me thinkin' now.

Dusty Turtle said:

Mandy, I think the Folkcraft deserves that you write an originalsong. So get out your writing pad. Here are some suggested titles:

"My Dulcimer Kicks your iPad's Butt!"

"Two Dulcimers, One Husband" [Or "Mandy's Trinity"

"Cut Down the Christmas Tree, I Need Wood for a Dulcimer" [Or "Cedar ain't just for smellin'"]

"No Christmas Dinner, Mama's Still Playin' Her Dulcimer" [Also known by the refrain: "Pop tarts for Christmas"

"The Second Best Husband in the World" [Hey, what do you want? I'm married, too!]

Congrats on the impending arrival.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

Mandy, I think the Folkcraft deserves that you write an originalsong. So get out your writing pad. Here are some suggested titles:

"My Dulcimer Kicks your iPad's Butt!"

"Two Dulcimers, One Husband" [Or "Mandy's Trinity"]

"Cut Down the Christmas Tree, I Need Wood for a Dulcimer" [Or "Cedar ain't just for smellin'"]

"No Christmas Dinner, Mama's Still Playin' Her Dulcimer" [Also known by the refrain: "Pop tarts for Christmas"]

"The Second Best Husband in the World" [Hey, what do you want? I'm married, too!]

Congrats on the new addition to your instrument family.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Sam you are such a sweetie!9.gif I'm trying to decide right now between I'll Fly Away (i've been really doing that a ton and just can't get enough of it) and Wildwood Flower (i usually play that as my first song when i get something new). I may change my mind and play something completely different too, but I'd like to play one of my favs.

Sam said:

Screw 'er down to DAC and play Shady Grove. Jean Ritchie would be proud to have such an ambassador as you, just as I am.

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

I've been pickin' my banjo a lot lately too. We have a gig on the 20th and I'm trying to cram in a ton of Christmas songs. Luckily I already knew a couple that we could add. Grin.gif Carol of the Bells on banjo, please record it if you can I'd love to hear it.

John Voorhees said:

Congrats on your new toy for Christmas. The next dulcimwer that I get I will have to make, right now I have laid my dulcimer aside and picked up my banjo again, practice Christmas music, mainly Carol of the Bells. Cheers john

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Hey Bill - do you have any audio recordings of how it sounds? I'd sure love to hear it.

Bill Davenport said:

Oh you'll love it Mandy. I have one. I picked mine out at The Ohio Valley Gathering when Richard was there. Sound is awsome.
Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

I know it may seem weird but anytime anyone asks me to text them I laugh, or when they tell me they'll text me. I've yet to send my first text and wouldn't know how to. I was upset the other day when I heard they were giving away concert tickets to an artist I like on the radio. I listened in and waited for the right time, but when they said it was time they said text some word to some number or some number to some word. So apparently you can't even call in anymore to win stuff. Frown.gif So though it may appear that I like these kinds of things (since I do videos) I really don't. They are just a necessary tool to share my true love of hearing, playing, and tinkering with music.

Carrie Barnes said:

Mandy, major Congrats on the Folkcraft! Ipad -vs- dulcimer, not even a thought there, LOL! Merry Christmas to you and yours, and a Prosperous New Year as well!Grin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Yes they do! Awesome that you have a system now. We just use a band mates for all our stuff. Now you can get some great recordingsGrin.gif . Would love to hear some. All that sound mixing is an art in and of itself though. I don't have the tech skills for such.

Susie said:

Congrats on your Folkcraft.....you'll love it. Don't our hubbies deserve a big kiss this time of year? My husband wanted to get me an amp and the whole setup. I said I'd rather not spend the money on me....he insisted. So, I now have a new amp in my music room. I didn't even have to wait for Santa. Have a very merry Christmas.

Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
12 years ago
62 posts

Cedar and walnut sounds very nice :) Nothing like a new dulci under the tree!

:)MZC

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Screw 'er down to DAC and play Shady Grove. Jean Ritchie would be proud to have such an ambassador as you, just as I am.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,253 posts

Congrats Mandy- I know you will be putting that new dulcimer through its paces!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

I'm grinning from ear to ear! Thanks everyone. You all are such a great group of folks. I've enjoyed this past year of being on FOTMD. Now I just have to figure out how the heck to not just die of anticipation. It seems like every time I know I'm getting something this awesome for Christmas I go NUTS. I usually have dreams about it, and just obsess or something. It's crazy. Instruments are my "crack" I guess. Haha. If I don't play at least one every single day I'm in a bad mood. No exaggeration there either.

Thanks for putting up with me. Haha. Grin.gif

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

Congrats on your Folkcraft.....you'll love it. Don't our hubbies deserve a big kiss this time of year? My husband wanted to get me an amp and the whole setup. I said I'd rather not spend the money on me....he insisted. So, I now have a new amp in my music room. I didn't even have to wait for Santa. Have a very merry Christmas.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

No tune suggestions (just play what makes you HAPPY), but congrats on the new Folkcraft!

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Almost exactly a year ago I found this website. I found out that I was getting a duclimer for Christmas (I had been asking for one) and could not wait to get it. I was so excited I was going crazy.

Since then I've had a wonderful time playing my dulcimer. I play some other instruments, so I knew that it was entry level when I got it. Now I've learned from my sweet papa bear husband that he's getting me a new one this year!!!!

Total shock to me since I wasn't asking for one. But he realized that I really enjoyed playing and he also plays instruments and knew that it would be a great present to get an upgraded one. So he wanted my opinion on what to get since he doesn't really know anything about them. I don't know much, but I think I chose a great one for the alloted budget.

SO HERE WE GO AGAIN!! I'm totally excited again and in awe of how blessed I truly am. So for 2 years in a row now at Christmas I'm going to be ripping open the paper on a brand spanking new dulcimer!

My new baby is a Folkcraft cedar/walnut beauty and I'll be drooling over the pictures until Christmas morning. Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif

My fingers are tingling with anticipation, my heart is bursting with joy, and I can't believe I'll be playing a Christmas tune on Christmas day with a new instrument!

Oh and he was asking me if I'd rather have an iPad or a new dulcimer, like that's even a legitimate question. Thank goodness he asked first is all I can say cause there's no way I'd ever choose anything other than a new instrument of any kind. LOL

So now I just have to figure out what song will be my first song on it. I've gotten into the habit of really trying to pick a first song on a new instrument. Not sure why, kinda sentimental for me I guess. Any suggestions are welcome, Christmas tune or not.

updated by @mandy: 08/03/23 03:37:05PM