Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,252 posts

Folkfan, maybe if we make skirts out of shelf liner... lol!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
folkfan
@folkfan
10 years ago
357 posts

My possum board has shelf liner glued to the back of it. The lifts that hold the dulcimer up off the board are shaped like shallow L's and the part that touches the dulcimer back are felt lined. No scratches, no slides, no sticking to the board. And I can angle my legs comfortably. Plus in case of extreme need, one of my possum boards has strap buttons. How's that for covering all bases.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
10 years ago
231 posts

I second that Jan! Dusty, that's funny. I'll have to remember that oneGrin.gif

I too have had the marks on the back of my dulcimer. I clean it up and then used Johnson Paste Wax. I know some of the old dulcimers had feet on them for playing on a table. I'm just wondering if that will make a come back and the use of a possum board to solve the sliding problems. As Frank said you would need to keep the possum board from sliding. I should use a strap because I do have the buttons. Now that warmer weather is here bare skin seems to keep my dulcimer from sliding around.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 years ago
399 posts

Dusty, thank you for the best chuckle I've had all day. So far.Smile.gif

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,727 posts

If I were a dulcimer, I would say, "Strap me down and tickle my strings!"

Seriously, I had so much trouble getting my dulcimer to stay in one place until I installed a strap. I know it's not for everyone, but with a strap you don't have to worry about sitting at the exact same height to create a flat lap or anything like that. You can adjust the dulcimer anyway you like it, even tilting it up ever so slightly to allow the back to vibrate more (thus obviating the need for a false back or possum board). And tilting the dulcimer also solved the tennis elbow (strummer's elbow?) I was developing early on.

By the way, how do you make a possum bored? Just read him War and Peace !24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,252 posts

The shelf liner stuff only damages the finish of instruments if you leave it attached or stuck on the instrument or store it in your case with the instrument or lean the instrument on the shelf liner on a stand. It's never a problem if you only lay it on your lap while playing. Always store the shelf liner separately from the instrument.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
10 years ago
32 posts

I second trying DR. Duck Ax Wax. To keep the dulcimer from sliding you could use a possum board (a board that lifts the dulcimer off your lap and gives a increase in volume) and put the shelf liner on the possum board.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 years ago
399 posts

Other options include putting something under your left foot (or both feet) to keep your lap level (there are lots of suggestions on this site, everything from Thistledew Acres folding footrest to footrests made from recycled plastic bags full of bags. My dulcimer doesn't slide off my lap because it's usually pushed up against the knee brace velcroed onto my left leg. I would think that any strip of material velcroed above your knee would accomplish the same thing...if you need something for the dulcimer to "push against" as you play, just fold over the top edge of the material like a cuff and your "dulcimer dam" will now be twice as high. Something adjustable like a belt or short strap might also work. you could put the strap/belt through a tube of material that would be soft and not harm your instrument and you could have different colors of tubes for whatever you were wearing. I'm thinking about something like a tube made from an old pair of jeans or a hand towel, etc. Be creative! I have never used either a strap or the shelf liner squares and haven't found them necessary so far. There may, however, be something out there that works like the shelf liner but doesn't affect the finish on your instrument...I'll let others address that. And, by the way , folks may have better luck with removing the marks with a product like Dr. Duck's Ax Wax which is good for cleaning and lubricating instruments and can be purchased online from music supply stores.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
10 years ago
73 posts

if your satisfied with how the back looks now...apply a little paste wax perhaps. strap buttons are very easy to

install. I prefer one at the tail piecewith a rawhide loop that slips over the scroll.

kiwi clear paste wax shoe polish is a really high quality product. I wouldn't leave home without it