Dulcimer Display Stands - What do you use?

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
9 years ago
67 posts

I've ordered all of my stands from the DivergentLutherie shop on Etsy.  They're made for student dulcimers, but if you contact him and send the measurements that he requests he can make a custom one for you.  Of course, now that I have four stands I'm thinking about wall hangers, just to free up the floor space.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

I made a double dulcimer stand for the two dulcimers I play all the time. it's out of the way of the grand kids, right by my computer table...

--
Site Moderator
Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Jan, that's a scary thought. kittywink

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

Sheryl, that Boston Terrier "guard dog" is very necessary, since there are other dogs around as well as a wildcat that terrorizes everyone and everything!  One of these days Dana will look up at one of the highest dulcimers on the wall and see that cat's head sticking out of a soundhole!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Ken Hulme:
Aboard my home-boat I hang my dulcimers on the cabin side above the high water mark -- it keeps the catfish from playing Moody River....

Ken, I like to hang mine from our Crape Myrtle trees. The Carolina wrens and chickadees love those little soundholes. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Jan, yep, that's the photo I remember seeing. Thanks for your input. Love the Boston Terrier at bottom right, gaurding the dulcimer. 

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Has anyone thought to make pvc dulimer stands, I am going to work this out maybe. Just a thought.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

[quote="Sheryl St. Clare"]
I really like the old doorknob idea that someone posted photos of on FOTMD, and I am on the lookout for some at the Raleigh Flea Market.

I believe this was a reference to one of the walls at Dana McCall's home that uses antique glass doorknobs to hang part of her collection.  Since the room's decor incorporates other antiques, this is a great way to show these instruments.

http://fotmd.com/dana-r-mccall/gallery/3974/dulcimer-wall

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,111 posts

Aboard my home-boat I hang my dulcimers on the cabin side above the high water mark -- it keeps the catfish from playing Moody River....

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,073 posts

I'll second or third (whatever) the recommendation of the stands from the Dulcimer Bag Lady. It is the sturdiest dulcimer stand I have ever seen. My understanding is that they are still being made by Doug's son and are available. If you have a large do, it is not a good idea to store your dulcimer where the dog's tail can hit the stand. I have repaired several dulcimers which were knocked off stands by a dog's tail. Dulcimers on stands also should be kept out the reach of small children. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

D, if you decide to go with a stand, you might think about teaching your lab to play "Police Dog Blues" purely for the entertainment of your other pets. 

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
9 years ago
84 posts

Doug Felts terrific stands are still in production at Dulcimer Bag Lady website. I have two and prefer them to any other stand I have tried.

Should you want to hang instruments they ought to be on an inside wall - very important since an outer wall can transmit temperatures. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

D, Here is  what I have done, but you can see a number of examples on FOTMD of what others have done. I really like the old doorknob idea that someone posted photos of on FOTMD, and I am on the lookout for some at the Raleigh Flea Market. The key is to hang where it is convenient for you to grab, play, and return to the hoook, like a kitchen herb garden right outside your kitchen door. Once I hang Birdie up, I walk away with no worries of an 85 lb. family member hitting her to center field.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
9 years ago
139 posts

oh my GOSH Sheryl, you make an excellent point! That tail is like a billy club! She has indeed hit the dulcimer and played a bit of a song and the other animals are forever squinting their eyes when they see it coming in. I hadn't thought of that!

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

D, You mentioned you have a lab. I have one too, with a tail like a Louisville Slugger. I considered a stand, but decided for the safety of my instruments,to go vertical instead, and hang them from hooks. Sheryl

Wout Blommers
Wout Blommers
@wout-blommers
9 years ago
97 posts

If you don't want a stand made of wood...

http://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Gear-Tubular-Guitar-Stand/dp/B0018TIADQ

For a hour glass type you have to bend the metal here and there, but it is easy to transport and it is cheap. K&M produce a nice add on tray to put down capo and picks etc. http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Music-stands/Accessories/12218-Tray-black which is much more expensive than the stand.

updated by @wout-blommers: 08/01/15 03:50:05AM
marg
@marg
9 years ago
615 posts

I made a u bar (padded)  to hold the head of the dulcimer, the bottom sits on a small ledge, you can see the strap I have going around the instrument to secure it. Sort-a like a coat rack, it's different from most dulcimer stands but works very well and there are many painting hanging in my house so it seems fitting for an easel to hold the dulcimer. 

I think when you are trying to decide what will work, best to just try some out and think of how you want you area. Will it just hold it as in storage or will it also hold your music for practice. Do you want to take with you or leave in it's spot. Maybe google it for some ideas. 

marg
@marg
9 years ago
615 posts

The dulciborn i keep in it's case, usually laying across a chair so I can get to it easy unless it needs to be picked up. I also have a child's uke and a uke/banjo that is leaning up againts the wall by the art easel/music - dulcimer stand

marg
@marg
9 years ago
615 posts

I have an old wooden art easel that holds both my dulcimers, both bags, a drum, hat and not sure what else. I also have a shelf on the front of it to hold my music. Maybe you can see in the photo, problem I just picked up another dulcimer today and was wondering how it would fit or would it?

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

I also have a wooden instrument stand (for dulcimer) made by Lee, the Bag Lady's husband, Doug Felts, who died not too long ago...so I'm not sure if anyone is making them to his specifications at this time.

The one I use the most, however is a dual stand that holds both your music and (when you get up for a break) your instrument in vertical position.  I usually don't use the part for the music, however.  I don't know why these people don't use the same sturdy design on their stands without the music rack, which are much less expensive.  And I can't seem to locate the info on them, either!  I bought one that they were selling on eBay a while back.

I also have instruments stands by Hamilton and by Hercules and I've been happy with them.  With metal stands, however, it seems that the more sturdy they are, the heavier they are!

If you can, try the stands out first before you buy, since measurements don't always give you a true picture of how that stand is going to work with your dulcimer.

Hope this helps!       ***ps  Can you edit your title to say "dulcimer display stands" instead of just "stands", since most people think of music stands.  There are also instrument stands to use while playing the dulcimer, that hold it for you so you can stand up and play.  You don't mean those, either.   This may weed out comments on music stands, at least.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

updated by @jan-potts: 08/01/15 02:01:24AM
Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
9 years ago
45 posts

I have stands from the Dulcimer Bag Lady. Simple sturdy style. I'm happy iwht them.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
9 years ago
139 posts

I sure would love to have a way to stand up my dulcimer in the den but I'm not seeing what kind to get. There's a wooden one that looks nice but the reviews aren't too keen. Several guitar style stands, well, I'm just not too sure which to get. What do yall use and what would you recommend? Thank you!

updated by @d-chitwood: 08/01/15 07:42:06AM