marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Gorilla Super Glue is what I had around the house, so that's what I used & clamp it.

The leather works just like if you were to wrap a piece of elec. tape around your thumb but the leather is more of a padding for the thumb with no stickiness.

Check out ken's post below, he gives a number of ideas you could try. I like my thumb to still be like a thumb so, I like the softness of leather vs. something hard in using my thumb to slide. I tried a thumb pick also, didn't like/didn't work

thumb leather.jpg
thumb leather.jpg  •  103KB

dulcinina
@dulcinina
7 years ago
87 posts

Marge, what kind of glue are you using on the leather?  Post a picture of your leather thumb slide if you can.  I tried a thumb pick for a slide but wasn't satisfied.  So far, my old finger works the best. dulcinina

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

ken,

After playing around with different ways to fasten the leather for my thumb, I have ended up glueing it & that keeps it more an even thickness all around. I'm working on my 3rd attempt of this design & even with it not yet right, it is working fine. I can use my thumb to slide or cord or hit middle or bass strings without feeling like I am filing my nail off. Works a lot like the elec. tape I would use but more pading & not sticky.

Working great, thanks

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

ken,

(Think outside the box!)

I can do that, I have tried the thimble or plastic tubing before but don't like the stiffness since I also use my thumb for middle & bass strings but I do like the idea of leather.  I can Wrap a strip of smooth thin leather around my thumb like the tape but it's not sticky, I just need to come up with the best way to fasten it. I tried it out this evening & it protects the thumb but leaves me able to cord or hit the middle or bass string. Works like my thumb but it's protected.

thanks so much

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Marge -- try a large, deep thimble -- plastic or leather. Or a short section of thin plastic tubing  I make archer's Thumb Rings out of wood (they are also made in horn and bone) for shooting a bow Asian style, and there are a wide variety of thumb rings which might be adaptable.  Think of your thumb tip as a flattened cone from the tip to the first knuckle.  Now look for thumb sized cones...   Maybe bakery piping bag tips?  A short piece of copper tubing?  Think outside the box!

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Well the thumb pick really didn't work for how I wanted, so till I get something like an acrylic nail I will stick with elec. tape.

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
I was wearing a notch in my thumb nail before I added the acrylic. I'm now able to play much more cleanly and with greater speed those pieces that require a lot of thumb sliding.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,248 posts

When i used to play chord/melody style (about 100 years ago it seems, lol) I built up a really hard and durable callus on the side of my thumb right next to the nail.  It protected everything, even the edge of my nail.  Once in a while the outer layer would shed off naturally, but the layers under it quickly rebuilt to take its place.  

It's funny how my left hand calluses evolve and change over time depending on what instrument I'm currently playing a lot, and in what style.  Since i now play dulcimer type instruments with a noter, I don't get calluses from dulcimer playing.  But I get banjo-playing calluses on the tips of my fingers, especially my left middle finger and my left index. 

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

(fretting hand and not your strumming/picking hand, correct?)

yes

I have been using my thumb since I started but just lately I have started wondering if I could hurt the nail or edge, so thought of the thumb pick or yes even a fake nail. But not sure how it would work when I use my thumb to fret on middle strings. 

Thanks 

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
I just had an acrylic nail done on my left thumb a couple of weeks ago just for this purpose. Mark Gilston recommended it. It took some getting used to, and I had to file it much shorter than the nail tech did, but I am finding it extremely helpful!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Marg, it appears you are talking about your fretting hand and not your strumming/picking hand, correct?

I have not used a thumb pick for that purpose, but when I slide with my thumb I tend to bend my thumb over a little and use the edge of my nail. It takes the pressure off the skin and slides a lot easier.  I learned that trick from Linda Brockinton at my first ever dulcimer festival (Redwood Dulcimer Day) about 6 years ago.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
7 years ago
134 posts

I have tried a thumb pick, but prefer the tactile sensitivity of my thumb on the strings.  A callus has built up and somewhat protects the skin....not a preference of all but it works best for me. :)

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Has anyone used a thumb pick just for sliding their thumb & not tearing up the edge of their thumb?

updated by @marg: 06/21/17 12:55:36PM