Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,720 posts
I had a feeling Butch would take care of you. He's good people.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
jp
@jp
5 years ago
42 posts

A PROCLOMATION!

From this day forward Butch Ross shall be known as Saint Butch Ross.

That is all.

Thank you Dusty for the lead.

jp
@jp
5 years ago
42 posts

Strumelia:

You could also try contacting Butch and asking him if you could buy only his tab for Blackbird from him directly at some cost he determines. No harm in asking!

thanks lass i did that last night.  we will see what happens. whistle

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,246 posts

You could also try contacting Butch and asking him if you could buy only his tab for Blackbird from him directly at some cost he determines. No harm in asking!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
5 years ago
141 posts

Here's a link to Butch's available CDs and Tab Books.  "Beatletudes" is located about 3/4 of the way down the page.   The book is available in both ukelele tabs and dulcimer tabs, so if you plan to order a copy make sure you read the description and order the correct edition.  The cost is listed as $20.00.

http://www.butchross.com/stuff.html

updated by @greg-gunner: 02/10/19 03:26:37AM
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
5 years ago
207 posts

It is in there.................The Book is called Beatletudes by Butch Ross................Prussia Valley has it & you can get it direct from BR on his website.

updated by @salt-springs: 02/10/19 01:52:42AM
jp
@jp
5 years ago
42 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Hey I just remembered that Butch Ross also has a book of Beatles tunes.  Since I know he has played "Blackbird" on the MD, I bet that tune is there.

yes

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,720 posts

Hey I just remembered that Butch Ross also has a book of Beatles tunes.  Since I know he has played "Blackbird" on the MD, I bet that tune is there.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,720 posts

JP, if you contacted someone privately, that would be OK.  But if we make those kinds of connections on the public discussions at FOTMD, even if the actual exchange happens elsewhere, the site is still legally implicated.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
jp
@jp
5 years ago
42 posts

Dusty Turtle:

It is also legal to tab out for your own purposes a copyrighted song.  And you can even share it with a friend.  That's all legal. 

Yep that is pretty much what i was talking/asking about in my original post.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,720 posts

jp: hmmmm so those of you who are gigging musicians only play 'Public Domain" tunes?

Soooo all the cover bands we go see at the local pubs are in violation of the copyright laws?

so if i learn this song on my own and tab it out am i in violation of CR law.... how about if i gave a

copy to a friend....

JP, performing and distribution are two different things.  You can perform a cover at a formal venue because in all likelihood that venue has paid an annual fee to ASCAP. And even if they didn't, the legal burden is on the venue and not the performer to ensure they are in compliance with copyright tunes.

You can play at home and for your friends and family any copryighted music you want.  That is legal.  It is also legal to tab out for your own purposes a copyrighted song.  And you can even share it with a friend.  That's all legal.

But you cannot distribute that material without paying for a license to do so.  And the Napster court case affirmed that online sharing constitutes illegal distribution.  Because FOTMD is free and open to the public, we cannot exchange copyrighted materials. 

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/10/19 12:03:00AM
jp
@jp
5 years ago
42 posts

hmmmm so those of you who are gigging musicians only play 'Public Domain" tunes? Soooo all the cover bands we go see at the local pubs are in violation of the copyright laws?

so if i learn this song on my own and tab it out am i in violation of CR law.... how about if i gave a copy to a friend?

Don't get me wrong i am for copyright laws....i have several tunes on my CD that where not public domain and i either wrote the composer personally or went through Harry Fox and paid for them.

i have the neil hellman book and no, Blackbird is not in there.  as i said i am willing to pay but i would rather not because it will not be using it for performance or recording.

there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

PS... none of my statements are directed at FOTMD

updated by @jp: 02/09/19 11:51:30PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,720 posts

Most of the stuff on those guitar tab sites is illegal. Plain and simple.  There are also tons of YouTube videos of people playing covers of copyrighted tunes.  That's all illegal, too.

Neal Hellman published a book of Beatles tunes arranged for the MD, but I don't think "Blackbird" is in there.  The only dulcimer player I can think of who has played the tune is Butch Ross.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,073 posts

Guitar Tab Universe uses an "after the fact" type of copyright situation. The site places the responsibility of the copyright owner to notify it that a particular piece of music is posted unlawfully. Once the notice and supporting evidence is supplied, the offending piece is removed. Most dulcimer sites prefer to proactive and ask that copyright material not be posted with out documented permission.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,415 posts

@jp Perhaps those posted free tabs are not legal? 

Copyright law is complicated.  FOTMD makes every effort to demonstrate good faith with regard to protecting composers and holders of copyright, entities entitled to compensation for their work. 

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/09/19 06:48:13PM
jp
@jp
5 years ago
42 posts

yes i understand copyright... however i wonder why MD is so clogged up with CR issues

and i can go on to sites like Guitar Tab Universe and have it in seconds for free ....for the guitar of course..

i wonder why that is... i am willing to pay of course.... but i wonder why that is.....

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,246 posts

That's a copyrighted tune, so if you find Tab for it, it likely won't be free. Just saying.  :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
jp
@jp
5 years ago
42 posts

i am looking for some tab for the Beatles Blackbird, preferably Free.

thank you