500 posts

Did anyone get a new dulcimer for Christmas? happys

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts
Robin Thompson:

@susie I came-by the instrument used yet it has been used very little.  I've not contacted the builder, Paul Conrad, to ask him just what variety of instrument he called it.  It has a very deep voice with which I am smitten.  

I bet you are! My baritone, which is tuned AEA, has that beautiful lower voice too. Enjoy your new friend!
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,422 posts

@susie I came-by the instrument used yet it has been used very little.  I've not contacted the builder, Paul Conrad, to ask him just what variety of instrument he called it.  It has a very deep voice with which I am smitten.  

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts
That's a beauty Robin! Is it a standard tuned dulcimer or a baritone or bass? It looks like it has a big voice. Thanks for sharing.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,422 posts

Thanks, @don-grundy!  

Indeed, it is, @dusty-turtle.  I have been fiddling with the bridge to get the intonation set and am not there yet, yet I really love its deep voice.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,726 posts

Is that the dulcimer with the deep voice that you used on your recent audio recording, @Robin-Thompson? It sounds wonderful!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
It’s a beauty! Celebrate!
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,422 posts

A new-to-me Timbre Hill mountain dulcimer.  :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  313KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Robin Thompson:

Enjoy that beautiful Appalachian dulcimer, Susie!  

Thanks, I am!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,422 posts

Enjoy that beautiful Appalachian dulcimer, Susie!  

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Don Grundy: Beautiful! Concert please!

Thanks! I did a short concert for my husband this morning. nod

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
Beautiful! Concert please!
Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Dusty Turtle:

That's a beauty, @Susie!  Congratulations.

Thanks Dusty, I appreciate it. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,726 posts

That's a beauty, @Susie!  Congratulations.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Just received this yesterday. A Folkcraft Custom Baritone Dulcimer in Cherry, with a galax back. East Indian Rosewood fingerboard and accents. The cherry adds a little sparkle and volume to the overall lower tones. A beautiful instrument in tone and looks. Love it!

IMG_20191105_103956121.jpg

FolkcraftBaritone 1.jpg

FolkcraftBaritone 5.jpg

updated by @susie: 11/06/19 07:30:21AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Robin Thompson:

If I had a new/new-to-me dulcimer I'd post!  

Me too. I thought I'd see some activity by starting this thread. I guess there aren't nearly as many purchases being made of dulcimers here as there is on my other music sites. It's always fun to see the new stuff, but maybe dulcimer players are more conservative. Well, the thread is here, maybe someone will get something new some day. shrugger

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,422 posts

If I had a new/new-to-me dulcimer I'd post!  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,252 posts

I should mention that our members who are dulcimer makers/luthiers often utilize our Dulcimer Making Group to post about their latest creations that they themselves constructed.  :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Ken Hulme:

Most of us just post a separate thread when we acquire or make a new instrument, rather than having a single thread of new dulcimers. 

But here's my newest build.  This Holly Leaf is shape based on one of two Civil War or earlier instruments known to have been made in this recognizable pattern -- one in North Carolina and a similar but different holly leaf shape made in Virginia by a different builder.  Great minds think alike and all that.

Mine is not an exact replica of the one which was built in Burnsville, NC.  Rather,  I 'softened' the original rigid straight lines by curving the shoulders and tail.   Walnut and Maple.  Rosewood tuning pegs.  Staple frets for the melody string only.  Width 7.5", Length 34.5".  Side height 1.5".  Fretboard 1" high x 1.125" wide.

Strung.JPG  

Yes, I have seen a few NDD threads, but not many. I thought a thread like this might get more people to post. Just a thought. We will see.

That's a really cool dulcimer, thanks for the details on it. How does it sound?

updated by @susie: 10/16/19 09:43:53AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Don Grundy: Do you have a new dulcimer?

No, not today. winker

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,123 posts

Most of us just post a separate thread when we acquire or make a new instrument, rather than having a single thread of new dulcimers. 

But here's my newest build.  This Holly Leaf is shape based on one of two Civil War or earlier instruments known to have been made in this recognizable pattern -- one in North Carolina and a similar but different holly leaf shape made in Virginia by a different builder.  Great minds think alike and all that.

Mine is not an exact replica of the one which was built in Burnsville, NC.  Rather,  I 'softened' the original rigid straight lines by curving the shoulders and tail.   Walnut and Maple.  Rosewood tuning pegs.  Staple frets for the melody string only.  Width 7.5", Length 34.5".  Side height 1.5".  Fretboard 1" high x 1.125" wide.

Strung.JPG  

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/16/19 07:04:38AM
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
Do you have a new dulcimer?
Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

I belong to several music forums. It is quite common for folks to share their new instrument acquisitions with pictures and details. It's interesting to see what folks are getting and hear their stories.

As dulcimer players, I know we quite often acquire new or new-to-us dulcimers. 

What are your thoughts on sharing your NDD's right here? Who wants to start?

updated by @susie: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM