Composition in G minor

Canadian Dulcimer Boy
Canadian Dulcimer Boy
@canadian-dulcimer-boy
2 years ago
14 posts

Ah yes, I actually have an app that does this. Great idea fro doing the play along thing.

In the end I just did the transposing thing and made a recording of the pc.

Strumelia:

If you download the youtube video as an audio file, then get Amazing Slowdowner program, you can open the audio file in AS and change the pitch of the tune without changing the speed. Change it to the key/pitch you want, then save that new audio file. Then you can play along in the exact key you want. (AS can also be used for changing speed btw)
I have always found Amazing SlowDowner to be extremely useful.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,252 posts

If you download the youtube video as an audio file, then get Amazing Slowdowner program, you can open the audio file in AS and change the pitch of the tune without changing the speed. Change it to the key/pitch you want, then save that new audio file. Then you can play along in the exact key you want. (AS can also be used for changing speed btw)
I have always found Amazing SlowDowner to be extremely useful.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Canadian Dulcimer Boy
Canadian Dulcimer Boy
@canadian-dulcimer-boy
2 years ago
14 posts

So I’m almost done my arrangement transposed from Gm to Dm. In the end, this really seems the best option. Just means I can’t play along with youtube videos or cd recordings…but I’ll make my own. Almost done, stay tuned. And thanks for your interest in my post. 

jost:

Do you have a sheet? I think a G minor tuning might work for Noter/Drone playing and would like to try this. Since you clearly want to play with chords this is propably not of much help to you though.
And thanks for the youtube recommendation: It's a lovely tune.

jost
@jost
2 years ago
76 posts

Do you have a sheet? I think a G minor tuning might work for Noter/Drone playing and would like to try this. Since you clearly want to play with chords this is propably not of much help to you though.
And thanks for the youtube recommendation: It's a lovely tune.

Canadian Dulcimer Boy
Canadian Dulcimer Boy
@canadian-dulcimer-boy
2 years ago
14 posts

Thanks for the suggestion. Could be done but I want the minor chord to play open. Plus, there’s a certain sound quality when one tunes down to CGc and capo the first fret. I’ve noticed this on song arrangements by Jessica Comeau. So this is what I will stick with…for now.

I’ll hopefully post up a video soon of the piece

Dusty Turtle:

I would transpose to Bm. Then your chords would be Bm, D, and A.  You'd be all set in either DAd or DAA.  No need for a capo.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,727 posts

I would transpose to Bm. Then your chords would be Bm, D, and A.  You'd be all set in either DAd or DAA.  No need for a capo.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Canadian Dulcimer Boy
Canadian Dulcimer Boy
@canadian-dulcimer-boy
2 years ago
14 posts

I was thinking that but seems like too much of a hassle. Tonight I ended up transposing to D minor. Tuned to Cgc with capo on the first fret. Chord progression now is Dm, Fmaj & Cmaj. Able to play all the notes without adding temp frets. But thanks o plenty for your suggestion.

Btw, the musical pc is Cantiga #302 from the 13th century. Look it up on Youtube, its a beautiful medieval song. 

Skip:

You will probably need a chromatic or use temporary frets [paper clips about .040 or tooth picks may work] ,  tmp frets 0+, 4+, no capo [DAd. Can capo at 3 [DAd] by adding a temp fret at 7+ also.

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

You will probably need a chromatic or use temporary frets [paper clips about .040 or tooth picks may work],  tmp frets 0+, 4+, no capo [DAd. Can capo at 3 [DAd] by adding a temp fret at 7+ also.

Canadian Dulcimer Boy
Canadian Dulcimer Boy
@canadian-dulcimer-boy
2 years ago
14 posts

Hi all,

I have a pc I want to arrange for mountain dulcimer. It's traditionally played in G minor. Altogether 3 chords, G Minor, Bb major and F major. I'm wondering what's the best approach to playing this. I usually toggle between a Dad tuning or a Cgc. If you were to tackle this, would you simply transpose it to a key favouring popular dulcimer tunings or would you keep the chords the same and capo in some way?

To be honest, I'd really prefer the G minor to be an open strum. 

updated by @canadian-dulcimer-boy: 04/07/22 01:46:39PM