Table for Mt. Dulcimer

Melvoid
Melvoid
@melvoid
2 years ago
18 posts

Sounds like a good, inexpensive alternative.

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Strumelia:

A strap is what I use. Sure there is a tiny bit of getting used to it and 'fitting' the proper length, but it's soooo much easier than hauling around folding tables or footstools. I use loops and big buttons to make the strap adjustable depending on if I'm wearing heavy or light clothes.

I agree. An adjustable strap is pretty easy to get used to. I've even found as I have progressed, I've changed the positioning of the dulcimer by adjusting the strap (and my legs). So, the flexibility is an advantage. Experimenting with a strap is a cheap investment and might be a pleasant surprise for her.

updated by @susie: 06/12/22 08:24:26AM
Melvoid
Melvoid
@melvoid
2 years ago
18 posts

Definitely going to look into that. Thanks

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

A strap is what I use. Sure there is a tiny bit of getting used to it and 'fitting' the proper length, but it's soooo much easier than hauling around folding tables or footstools. I use loops and big buttons to make the strap adjustable depending on if I'm wearing heavy or light clothes.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Melvoid
Melvoid
@melvoid
2 years ago
18 posts

Dusty,

Thanks for the thoughts. We did discuss a strap. I've not tried that myself 'cuz my lap works fine without, but I think it might be worth looking into.

Thanks again.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

Melvoid: I just thought "How do I get this dulcimer to stay level?" seemed like a good question :-)

It's a great question, @melvoid, as you can see from the thoughtful responses.  I only moved it because the "Site Questions" Forum is for questions about how to use this site, and this discussion will be more easily found in the future if we group it with questions about dulcimers.

When I first started playing the dulcimer I only played on my office chair since I could vary the height considerably, lowering it enough to get a nice flat lap. I also used to lower the arms to kind of lock the dulcimer in place.  But I realized that I needed a solution that would enable me to play elsewhere, so I put strap buttons on and immediately found I had more control over the dulcimer and did not rely on a flat lap as much.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,126 posts

I use a foldable waiter's tray table.  They come in various heights, available on line or at a local restaurant supply house for about the same $25.  

Serving-Items-Miscellaneous-Waiter-Tray-Stand-Wooden.jpg

Some folks use a 3 sided "granny walker".  

Wally Venable
Wally Venable
@wally-venable
2 years ago
64 posts

I have short lower legs (28 inch inseam), although I'm about 5' 6" in overall height. Chairs from the 1930-1950 period fit me fine, bur chairs have grown about 2" since about 1960.

I use a block of foam (firm urethane?) which is about 2" thick and about 10 by 12 inches on top as a foot rest. It is half of a piece of shipping foam from a computer or something. I ran a piece of paracord through a hole across one end. It's light, doesn't shed or need cleaning, and the cord makes it easy to carry.

The foot block sure beats carrying an old wooden folding chair.

Melvoid
Melvoid
@melvoid
2 years ago
18 posts

No problem with the move.

I just thought "How do I get this dulcimer to stay level?" seemed like a good quesion :-)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

A cheap suggestion would be an ironing board.  They can be adjusted to any height.

By the way, I moved this discussion to the "General Mountain Dulcimer" category since the "How Do I" Forum is specific to questions about how this site functions.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 06/07/22 02:50:53PM
Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

I just thought if the tv tray worked it could also be turned into a table/music stand by adding the top [if needed] and a slanted vertical music /tablet holder.

Melvoid
Melvoid
@melvoid
2 years ago
18 posts

Great. Thanks!

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
2 years ago
54 posts

I have a foot stool that I use to level my dulcimer. I ordered it through this website: https://www.dulcimerbaglady.com/footstool.htm. It works great when a chair is too tall for me. 

Melvoid
Melvoid
@melvoid
2 years ago
18 posts

Might be worth looking into. It just occurred to me that maybe some sort of foot stand/block might work. Like a classical guitarist uses, but for both feet? Or a lower chair?

I'm so confused.

Thanks for the reply!

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

A tv tray may work. There are some with  L shaped legs that are height adjustable. A short board would add extra length if needed.

Melvoid
Melvoid
@melvoid
2 years ago
18 posts

Hi,

I have a student who isn't terribly tall. When sitting on a chair, her legs aren't level so she has trouble holding the dulcimer on her lap. She has better luck at her dining room table, but it's a bit high. Does anyone know of an adjustable/portable table that would hold a dulcimer? Wide enough so it doesn't jump when fretting or pressing on one end.

I've suggested a strap, so she might try that, but she really likes a table we have at the store where I teach and seems to play pretty well with that setup (although it's not wide enough).

We thought about something custom, but that might be a bit pricey...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

ms