Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Yeah the Murphy book is a winner as well, Robin! 
I have a vague memory- I forget who is was here, a member, who bought the actual old Will Singleton dulcimer pictured in the Murphy book. Anyone?..

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Robin Thompson:

I also recommend The Appalachian Dulcimer Book (Folksay Press) by Michael Murphy.  Used copies may not be hard to come by fairly inexpensively.   

Ordered it. Lots of used ones available.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

I also recommend The Appalachian Dulcimer Book (Folksay Press) by Michael Murphy.  Used copies may not be hard to come by fairly inexpensively.   

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Ordered thanks.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

I second getting Jean Ritchie's Dulcimer People!  There's lots to be learned there which can't be gleaned from searching online, I think.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

I highly recommend getting a copy of Jean Ritchie's paperback book Dulcimer People, used or new.
It's hugely helpful for learning about post-revival dulcimer makers and their instruments. Vintage dulcimers pop up so frequently on used auction sites, and they can run the gamut of value, quality, and expense. Jean's book can really help in making informed decisions before one clicks the Buy button. It's fascinating reading! ...and amazingly, a few of the people in it are also members of FOTMD so it's nice to read a little about these talented people.

--
Site Owner

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Strumelia:

If it were made from a Capritaurus kit, that would explain the label not including a signature or date. Maybe there was a special label included with kits. It would also explain the plywood back and inexpensive tuners.

Browsing old dulcimers on Ebay can be fun and addictive, but it's often frustrating and is never without risk, especially if one is unfamiliar with mountain dulcimer history and makers. With older instruments of any kind there are often more questions than answers, and on Ebay you only get what info the seller has to offer, and they sometimes know little about dulcimers as well.

Thanks, it is the same on any sale site however. I did manage to snag the vintage McSpadden in pristine condition because the seller said it was unknown maker. Interesting that he didn't look at the Label inside, but I think they sold it because the tuners would not hold. A quick fix and now an excellent instrument for under 100.00. But then I did a lot of research about the old horseshoe mark used, and the old name etc. Hope I am not asking too many questions.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

ahhhhhhhh, well now, if it's a kit, anything can go....especially if it's an unexperienced wood worker.  If your money is involved in buying a dulcimer from ebay, look for EVERYTHING you can see.  and then trust your gut feeling.  If it turns out to be something that doesn't play very good, then use it as a loaner to someone that wants to try it for a while.   If it turns out that you can make it play IN TUNE, more better.  It's all a learning game and exciting to say the least.  aloha, irene

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

If it were made from a Capritaurus kit, that would explain the label not including a signature or date. Maybe there was a special label included with kits. It would also explain the plywood back and inexpensive tuners.

Browsing old dulcimers on Ebay can be fun and addictive, but it's often frustrating and is never without risk, especially if one is unfamiliar with mountain dulcimer history and makers. With older instruments of any kind there are often more questions than answers, and on Ebay you only get what info the seller has to offer, and they sometimes know little about dulcimers as well.

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Howard Rugg is a member here. I would contact him directly.  He kept very meticulous records.

I don't think you can draw conclusions about vintage Capritaurus instruments based on his newer work, though.

One thing to keep in mind is that Capritaurus used to sell kits, so it's possible someone else made a dulcimer from a Caprituarus kit.  Again, Howard would be able to explain the differences and maybe even identify an kit Capritaurus from a photo.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I was looking into his older Capritaurus' and there was a signature on the card. Serial Number etc. Looking at the Folkcraft a "business card" similar to what is pasted on the bottom is attached to the instrument at the neck normally for sale. I checked with Howard's site, and as far as I can tell, they did not use ply on the back, but solids for the Series. This would be the fourth or fifth, I lost count, of "vintage" instruments that were not made by the stated manufacturer if it is what I suspect. This instrument is on Ebay for 199.00. Suddenly there are several more listed on the web, no evidence of manufacturers name and one "new" Capritaurus from a reseller, again no id in evidence. Why I am becoming interested is 1. I don't want to buy a knockoff, nor would I want anyone else to buy one. 2. My brother told me the Chinese have caught on to cheap quick instruments and are making copies, especially since the country keeps getting locked down, and suddenly there is a dirth of dulcimers hds, mds. etc and other folk instruments for sale. I managed to get a great bargain on my vintage McSpadden, and a good buy on my new Gibson. So I am trying to learn to recognize copies of the MD. I can do that for the HDs but copies are few and far between due to the complexity. There is a big copy market on guitars, with knock offs coming in from China.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

Well, I don't know the full history of CapriTaurus, but I do know that Howard kept very good records on the production of FolkRoots dulcimers, so I would think he would have done that with CapriTaurus as well. There is nothing showing a serial number or date of manufacture. You could go to Howard's current website: https://dulcimuse.com/capritaurusdulcimers/ordering.html  and find his email address or phone number and ask him.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

If one looks for flaws, one can find them always.   I sapose whatever we focus on, we will find and see.   I see a beautiful older instrument that I bet sounds really good and learning to play it with others and share your talents with others will be the joy of this instrument.   Someday this stupid covid stuffs will be in the past and festivals and gatherings will be soooooooooo much more fun.   This instrument will have joy to in being played by you and a good one to take to the up coming music gatherings. I sure do hope to meet you at one of these!!   aloha, irene

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Another pic.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

This is being sold as a vintage capritaurus. The dulcimer has a ply back which actually looks rough. I think this is simply a business card pasted inside. The Ruggs, I thought,  were making a high line in the Capritaurus and this instrument does not appear to be one. The varnish is irregular and pooled in the head, as well as in crevices. There also seems to be "varnish" splatter on the tuners. I may be wrong what do you think?