12 years ago
169 posts

For it is written:

He who knows not, knows not

He who knows not that he knows not ...

... is a not knows .......

Grin.gif

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
12 years ago
399 posts

I'd rather be a "beginner" than an "ender" any day!

Grin.gif

I, also, think of myself as a "learner". And I'm always learning about new things that I hadn't, yet, discovered that I didn't know. Ya know?! Smile.gif

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ed Day
Ed Day
@ed-day
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks Strumelia, Ive been wondering how I was going to tell when I was no longer a beginner. Now I dont have to worry about it any more, I will always be a beginner. Now its just a matter of to what degree.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,246 posts

I think that we are beginners as long as the amount of what there is yet to learn is larger than what we already know...and that's certainly true for me! And maybe we are all simply 'learners'. May we never stop learning until we die...

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

We all were beginners once upon a time...

Ed Day
Ed Day
@ed-day
12 years ago
13 posts

Hi Van

Thanks for the input I'm a beginingplayer and having a great time trying to learn to play. The dogs howl, the cats run and hide and friends dont come by much any more, but I'm having a great time.

I couldnt agree with you more about the people at McSpadden, I've called them a couple of times and they were very helpful. I just wish that they had a dealer in my area.

Ed Day
Ed Day
@ed-day
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks Ken, Boy am I getting an education.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

Ed - neither friction nor geared tuners should "be an issue". Those are not wooden tuning pegs, which occasionally can be an issue if you aren't used to them; they are top of the line metal pegs nearly as quick and accurate as geared tuners.

Ed Day
Ed Day
@ed-day
12 years ago
13 posts

Hi Geekling. Thanks for the info and advice. The seller is asking $200.00 for the Dulcimer with hard case and original sales document. The tuners are an issue and I couldnt tell for sure in there picture if they were friction or geared but with the info that you have given me I'm sure they are friction. They say it is signed and dated 1991.

Thanks again everyone

Ed

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Age isn't a prob. they usually mellow out and just sound better with age.

Ed Day
Ed Day
@ed-day
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks everyone for the input andas I expected, everyone seems to like thier McSpadden Dulcimers and the service.

and Barbara the one I was looking at wasn't on e-bay, but thanks for the info and the link.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,246 posts

My very first dulcimer was a walnut hourglass McSpadden. My daughter has it now. It has the most beautiful resonant voice one can imagine, and is so smoooooth to play. An excellent choice!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
john p
john p
@john-p
12 years ago
173 posts

And their after sales service is as good as you'll find anywhere.

[edit] not surprising really ... they more or less define the highest standards for volume manufacturers

john p

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

You usually cant go wrong with a McSpadden. Everyone I have heard that has one loves them.

Ed Day
Ed Day
@ed-day
12 years ago
13 posts

Can anyone give me any info on this dulcimer, good, bad, or otherwise?? I am new to the dulcimer world and could be classified as a pre beginner Thanks

updated by @ed-day: 02/25/19 08:35:19AM