Sears and Roebuck dulcimers

Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
@susie I think it actually sounds pretty good, now that I've got it staying in tune, even strung with some old guitar strings I had laying around. Once I can play "Freight Train" all the way through I'll post an audio. Might get new strings on first.
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Rain Dog: Here's a picture of the dulcimer from Sears I received for Christmas in 1979. I've kept it in the original shipping box, so I'm including a shot of the label. The label inside the dulcimer says Global Instrument Company LTD.

That is really cool. I didn't realize that Sears was still selling instruments as late as 1979. It looks to be well taken care of. What a special instrument. How does it sound?

Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
@gstringer Someone has a global Instrument Facebook page, but I don't remember seeing any dulcimers, just guitars.
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

I’ve seen a lot of “Global Music Instruments “ guitars on eBay. 

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

How terrific! I wonder if Global was the distributor to Sears. 

Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
@robin-thompson. Yeah, we where pretty anal as kids. Actually I knew it was the safest way to store it.
updated by @rain-dog: 01/14/20 05:03:39PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

@rain-dog It's cool you have the box and everything!  

Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
Here's a picture of the dulcimer from Sears I received for Christmas in 1979. I've kept it in the original shipping box, so I'm including a shot of the label. The label inside the dulcimer says Global Instrument Company LTD.
updated by @rain-dog: 01/14/20 04:44:36PM
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts

Thanks for the info. It’s amazing it sounds relatively melodic for 29.95!

marg
@marg
5 years ago
616 posts

Found this site: shows the sears page - back click a few pages shows another sears page of instruments

https://www.flickr.com/photos/humbugs_and_oddities/5064034869/in/photostream/

Sears Dulcimer  #1   These dulcimers were made in Korea.

I saw a uke under  Sears Harmony

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,083 posts

Not being a good archivist, I did not write down the years of these three pages from the Sears catalog. The other attachment is a similar dulcimers marketed by Fretted Industries. Note that the Fretted Industries dulcimers have a rectangular end to their scrolls.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Scan 6.jpeg
Scan 6.jpeg  •  530KB

Scan 7.jpeg
Scan 7.jpeg  •  9.5MB

Scan 8.jpeg
Scan 8.jpeg  •  7.8MB

Scan 5.jpeg
Scan 5.jpeg  •  9.9MB

updated by @ken-longfield: 11/11/19 10:43:11AM
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts
This is my 'presumed' Sears.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,123 posts

Oscar Schmidt was a separate label, dulcimers made by the same company that made thousands of autoharps.

marg
@marg
5 years ago
616 posts

I have a (maybe) Hondo dulcimer sold by Sears for Christmas, has 'clover' sound holes. It needed some work but with the help of some great members years ago, I learned a lot about this dulcimer.

Every instrument is different, each one has their own personality .

Enjoy yours

updated by @marg: 11/09/19 10:43:24AM
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts

The plot thickens. They look somewhat similar. The sound holes on mine seem a bit rounder hearts. The hook looks to be a better wood on the Oscar Schmidt.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 years ago
388 posts

I think some of these dulcimers were branded Oscar Schmidt, weren't they?

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts

Good to know, thanks! 

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
5 years ago
420 posts

The Sears & Roebuck dulcimers were made in Korea by Hondo, at least in the same factory (with the same specs) as the Hondo dulcimers.  Not the first ones imported from the East but pretty good ones.

Regal also made a lot of guitars for Sears to be sold under their Silvertone label.

updated by @rob-n-lackey: 10/23/19 08:11:59PM
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts

And yes, the original peg hole was moved. Not sure why anyone would do that. Looked like a perfectly good hole! Maybe for alternate tuning?

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts

Sears carried Harmony-made instruments before they bought the company. They re-branded these instruments (still made by Harmony) Supertone, then branded as Silvertone. I’m curious about the dulcimers offered in the Sears catalog. Apparently they sold for $29.99! Can’t find any info on the inter webs.

cbrown
@cbrown
5 years ago
12 posts

Curious: do you mean Roosebeck? They've been discussed on FOTMD before.

Or do you mean dulcimers you could buy from an actual Sears & Roebuck catalogue?

Whatever it is, it looks like someone manked around with the location of one of the tuning pegs --- I think that's an extra hole I see there!  Also of note is the shepherd's crook scroll.  I've seen a couple makers use that pattern, and seems designed for use with a dulcimer wall hanger.

updated by @cbrown: 10/23/19 07:56:32PM
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts

Hi. Does anyone have any info on the Harmony or Sears dulcimers, or can point me in the right direction? I have googled just about every search term I can think of related, with very little info returned. I believe that’s what this is, but not sure. Thanks, you knowledgeable people!

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  218KB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  1MB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  890KB

updated by @gstringer: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM