sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Ken Hulme:
You can set those string spacings any way you want, by adding new string slots.  The melody string couplet should be about 1/8" apart.  The non-middle string is an easy fix with a fine saw like a jewelers' saw or even a V section needle file.  The grooves don't have to be deep, but they should be deeper towards the respective end of the instrument.

well I guess I could do all that but honestly if I spent the money for a new instrument then I don't want to have to fix mistakes. plus now I already bought my "new" old one and I don't think at the moment I need both. In fact the skinnier neck would now mess me up so I'm happy learning on the Walnut Valley one.

but thanks for the suggestions

Maria

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

You can set those string spacings any way you want, by adding new string slots.  The melody string couplet should be about 1/8" apart.  The non-middle string is an easy fix with a fine saw like a jewelers' saw or even a V section needle file.  The grooves don't have to be deep, but they should be deeper towards the respective end of the instrument.

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Dusty Turtle:
I think it's safe to say that at best, the Roosebeck dulcimers are inconsistent, which would make sense since their construction seems to move from one country to another, presumably wherever labor is cheaper.  Some folks have gotten lucky with nice instruments and others have what we call dulcimer-shaped-objects, more appropriate for hanging on the wall than for making music. Sleepingangel, don't beat yourself up over this. I was pretty lucky in finding a good instrument for my first dulcimer, but it can be hard to know what to do. I really wish McSpadden and Folkcraft would make an entry-level instrument, but since their base models start at over $400, beginners look elsewhere. Many of us suggest the student model dulcimers that some luthiers such as David "Harpmaker" Lynch sell for about $125. But without that advice, many people look to the less expensive instruments out there, which is hit-or-miss.   What do you meant that the "spacing of the strings is wrong?"  Are they too far apart?  Too close together?  Either way, a new bridge and nut should fix the problem.  A more important question is whether the frets are spaced correctly. You can test that with an electric tuner.  Tune your open strings and then check each note as you move up the fretboard. If the intonation is off, you can definitively tell the seller that the instrument is defective.

Thanks Dusty...

I already did send them the picture I will post here so you will see what I mean and no matter where you fit it (meaning their are extra grooves in the nut) the spacing is not correct. the two dd strings are too close together and the a string is not in the middle it's closer to the bass d string. 
I sent them this picture and one of a mcspadden that I got off the internet to show that. I will have to wait now and see what they come back with and then if they give me more trouble I will do the "intonation" check.  Even If I lose money I'm getting rid of it and sticking with my old new Walnut Valley..Thanks again

Maria

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

I think it's safe to say that at best, the Roosebeck dulcimers are inconsistent, which would make sense since their construction seems to move from one country to another, presumably wherever labor is cheaper.  Some folks have gotten lucky with nice instruments and others have what we call dulcimer-shaped-objects, more appropriate for hanging on the wall than for making music.

Sleepingangel, don't beat yourself up over this. I was pretty lucky in finding a good instrument for my first dulcimer, but it can be hard to know what to do. I really wish McSpadden and Folkcraft would make an entry-level instrument, but since their base models start at over $400, beginners look elsewhere. Many of us suggest the student model dulcimers that some luthiers such as David "Harpmaker" Lynch sell for about $125. But without that advice, many people look to the less expensive instruments out there, which is hit-or-miss.  

What do you meant that the "spacing of the strings is wrong?"  Are they too far apart?  Too close together?  Either way, a new bridge and nut should fix the problem.  A more important question is whether the frets are spaced correctly. You can test that with an electric tuner.  Tune your open strings and then check each note as you move up the fretboard. If the intonation is off, you can definitively tell the seller that the instrument is defective.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Ok so I've now realized that the Roosebeck has issues......(c'mon where are the "I told you so's" lol) 

I didn't know it as I am new to the dulcimer but basically it was made incorrectly. The spacing of the strings is wrong and can't be rectified.

ALso I can't use my new Ewing Capo with it because it buzzes. 

I bought a used Walnut Valley for $150 in mint condition and it's NIGHT and Day. I made another post in another forum here on this site asking about the tuning pegs if anyone would help me out I'd appreciate it.

The spacing is the way it's supposed to be and the capo works!!

NOW I HAVE TO FIGHT WITH the company that sold me the Roosebeck because they are calling my return buyers remorse and I don't agree that I just changed my mind. There's a reason. They want to charge me a 30 percent restocking fee and have me pay for return shipping. 

Even if I do I'm still going to sell it back because after playing this 30 year old dulcimer for 4 days I realize I will NEVER play the other one. so I may have to bite the bullet and lose the money.

My dear departed mom used to say "education is expensive"

Take care

Maria

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Terry Wilson:
Maria, it's obvious you've performed more than once.  I enjoyed your video. I've often wondered about the Rooseback  dulcimers.  Please post a video after you've had it awhile.  Never held or seen one in person,  but always thought they looked really nice .  But reviews are not positive for the most part.  Of course, because of our nature, folks would rather post bad than good. I know you will enjoy your journey.  Terry 

Thanks Terry, Yes, I've gigged a lot in the past. Had to slow it down to take care of my elderly parents. Sadly my mom passed away on Valentines Day this year.  I will definitely post a video. In fact I wrote a song on it the day after I got it!! 

Take care

Maria

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
9 years ago
297 posts

Maria, it's obvious you've performed more than once.  I enjoyed your video.

I've often wondered about the Rooseback

dulcimers.  Please post a video after you've had it awhile.  Never held or seen one in person,  but always thought they looked really nice .  But reviews are not positive for the most part.  Of course, because of our nature, folks would rather post bad than good.

I know you will enjoy your journey. 

Terry 

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Thanks so much. So far so good!!

Maria

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
9 years ago
64 posts

Hope it's works for you Maria.  That video sure looked professional. 

Sam
Sam
@sam
9 years ago
169 posts

Over the years I've seen this discussion come up a couple of times. The views are always split. In each instance, as this one, I seek out some videos before posting. I followed your link this time ... thanks that made it easy. The dulcimer in the video link sounded pretty darn good to me. As in other videos, it played well. I truly hope that yours is even exceptional. Though I haven't seen these dulcimers other than photos and videos, they appear to be put together pretty good. Hope you have years of happy strumming with your new instrument. 

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Jan Potts:
Sounds like a nice dulcimer, Maria!  And the main thing is that it pleases you!  Happy strumming!  

THanks Jan, Yes, I'm becoming obsessed with the dulcimer lol....I'm so happy to have found something that is taking my mind off not playing guitar and is quickly becoming very rewarding!!

Maria

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

Sounds like a nice dulcimer, Maria!  And the main thing is that it pleases you!  Happy strumming!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Hey Everyone, 
I got my Roosebeck Cutaway on Thursday afternoon. I have to agree with John Stephens. I was SHOCKED at how well it is made. My dad is 90 and has made me beautiful wooden items and he looked at it and said it looked "hand rubbed" I've had some instruments that were made overseas that had visible glue and just shotty workmanship...but honestly this thing is rock solid and very pretty. Also the tuners are very beefy and I've been playing it for probably a total of 10 hours and it's already staying in tune. I bought two sets of D'adarrio strings to change when these get worn. I hear that once you change the strings it will sound even better. ALso the frets are not sharp (i've owned guitars and mandolins where you rub your hand across the neck and it gets stuck on the frets ) but this is NOT the case with this instrument. Now as far as the sound. I think it's pretty loud when you want it to be. I personally think I would eventually like a "deeper" sounding dulcimer or even the dulciborn as I like that sound a bit more...but I'm actually getting used to it and finding ways to play it that emphasize the low d string!

Just thought I would let you know.

Take care

Maria

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,253 posts

Thanks Patty, that was an old post, so I deleted it just now.  oma

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Strumelia, looks like you linked to the old FOTMD Ning site. 

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
9 years ago
98 posts

Hmmmmm Maybe I should have found this post before I ordered my Roosebeck. Well I hope when I get it that I'm as happy as John Stephen's was with his first dulcimer. I had some credits on Amazon and it's what I could afford right now. (especially that I haven't ever played one before) I will let you all know.

I know the seller on Amazon does have a return policy and I think after watching a gazillion videos I will know right away if it's garbage. I hope I get a good one! To be honest I have some pretty high end guitars (Taylor, Martin) and then some inexpensive ones whichwere fine to learn on and aspire to nicer ones. Hopefully the Roosebeck cut away will do the same!! (I figured since I'm a guitar player maybe I would experiment with holding it both ways!) There is one Video on Youtube and I tell you I think it sounds pretty good!!

Take care

Maria

Roose beck Cut A way

cut a way played like a guitar

updated by @sleepingangel: 11/11/15 02:19:11AM
Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
9 years ago
155 posts

Mike, don't waste your time with Roosebecks. They are foreign made and of questionable quality.