800!?!!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,724 posts
I would be much more likely to enjoy your "faux haggis" than anything resembling the "vrai haggis." In general I've inherited the American distaste for internal organs, but using ground lamb or veal would be tasty. The nutmeg surprises me, though. That would not have been one of the spices I would have thought of. Ken Hulme said:
DT - My "faux Haggis" is pretty darn tasty. Haggis is basically a sausage or stuffing made from minced organ meats, oatmeal and onion that are cooked in a sheep's stomach. It's more or less illegal to buy/sell sheep stomach in American where the FDA rules.

The faux version I make is basically a poached meatloaf. I combine say 2 lbs of ground lamb, or mix of lamb/veal with a large diced onion, and a cup of uncooked steel cut oatmeal. Season with white pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, and add an egg for binding. I form that into a log about 3-4" in diameter and 8 or 9" long, and roll it up in a piece of cheesecloth like a giant sausage. Put the log in a metal bread loaf pan on your stove top, and add a cup or more of chicken broth to come half way up the side. Bring to a boil and simmer about an hour until you get an internal temp of 150F. Turn off the heat and let it least at least 10 minutes before unwrapping and slicing.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
DT - My "faux Haggis" is pretty darn tasty. Haggis is basically a sausage or stuffing made from minced organ meats, oatmeal and onion that are cooked in a sheep's stomach. It's more or less illegal to buy/sell sheep stomach in American where the FDA rules.The faux version I make is basically a poached meatloaf. I combine say 2 lbs of ground lamb, or mix of lamb/veal with a large diced onion, and a cup of uncooked steel cut oatmeal. Season with white pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, and add an egg for binding. I form that into a log about 3-4" in diameter and 8 or 9" long, and roll it up in a piece of cheesecloth like a giant sausage. Put the log in a metal bread loaf pan on your stove top, and add a cup or more of chicken broth to come half way up the side. Bring to a boil and simmer about an hour until you get an internal temp of 150F. Turn off the heat and let it least at least 10 minutes before unwrapping and slicing.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,724 posts
Yes, folkfan, once (only once, unfortunately) my mother-in-law made the dessert tamales. They were indeed really good. More regularly she makes two versions of fried plantains, one sweet and one savory. folkfan said:
DT, Does your mother-in-law ever make Tamales Dulce (Sweet Tamales) . I had a co-worker whose mom made the most mouth watering dessert type of Tamales at Christmas time. TO DIE FOR

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
DT, Does your mother-in-law ever make Tamales Dulce (Sweet Tamales) . I had a co-worker whose mom made the most mouth watering dessert type of Tamales at Christmas time. TO DIE FOR Dusty Turtle said:
No offense to my Scottish brethren, but gopher might be an improvement upon traditional goat haggis, though I should admit that I've never tasted the stuff.
A new family tradition for us is to make Honduran tamales every New Year. We all gather around the dining room table and begin assembling the tamales. My mother-in-law (yes, the one from Honduras) makes the masa, and we make our tamales with any combination of seasoned chicken, seasoned pork, carrots, potatoes, olives, onions, beans, even dates and peanuts. Although considered a heretic, I began making some vegetarian versions and some with crab meat, cheese, and green onions.And we wrap the tamales not in corn husks but in banana leaves, which are much easier to manipulate and allow for much larger tamales.Somehow I became the salsa maker, and I usually makes three or four types each year. The best versions, in my opinion, are the tomatillo salsa and the chipotle/corn salsa, in which the heat of the peppers is balanced by the sweetness of the corn. Still, my wife always prefers a standard fresh salsa with tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, the latter of which is a key ingrendient in all the salsas.The wonderful thing about this tamale tradition is that eating them is only half the fun. The other half is gathering everyone around the table while we assemble them, each one of us bragging that ours will be the best and finding subtle ways to add a signature to the way the tamale is wrapped so we can tell the difference. And tying the wrapped tamales up is the only stage that wee little hands can't do, so even the kids can make tamales that taste just as delicioso as the rest of 'em.All this writing has got me hungry. We may not wait for New Years. Maybe we'll do some tamale making this weekend in honor of our 800th member.D.T. Ken Hulme said:
Yeah Mennonite tamales would be like the rest of their food - filling but bland! Actually in Alabama/Mississippi, the tamale was introduced over 70 years ago by migrant works and adopted into the local comfort food canon. Not quite Mexican, but very good.

DT - you've never had Santa Ynez Gopher & Goat Haggis???
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,724 posts
No offense to my Scottish brethren, but gopher might be an improvement upon traditional goat haggis, though I should admit that I've never tasted the stuff.A new family tradition for us is to make Honduran tamales every New Year. We all gather around the dining room table and begin assembling the tamales. My mother-in-law (yes, the one from Honduras) makes the masa, and we make our tamales with any combination of seasoned chicken, seasoned pork, carrots, potatoes, olives, onions, beans, even dates and peanuts. Although considered a heretic, I began making some vegetarian versions and some with crab meat, cheese, and green onions.And we wrap the tamales not in corn husks but in banana leaves, which are much easier to manipulate and allow for much larger tamales.Somehow I became the salsa maker, and I usually makes three or four types each year. The best versions, in my opinion, are the tomatillo salsa and the chipotle/corn salsa, in which the heat of the peppers is balanced by the sweetness of the corn. Still, my wife always prefers a standard fresh salsa with tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, the latter of which is a key ingrendient in all the salsas.The wonderful thing about this tamale tradition is that eating them is only half the fun. The other half is gathering everyone around the table while we assemble them, each one of us bragging that ours will be the best and finding subtle ways to add a signature to the way the tamale is wrapped so we can tell the difference. And tying the wrapped tamales up is the only stage that wee little hands can't do, so even the kids can make tamales that taste just as delicioso as the rest of 'em.All this writing has got me hungry. We may not wait for New Years. Maybe we'll do some tamale making this weekend in honor of our 800th member.D.T. Ken Hulme said:
Yeah Mennonite tamales would be like the rest of their food - filling but bland! Actually in Alabama/Mississippi, the tamale was introduced over 70 years ago by migrant works and adopted into the local comfort food canon. Not quite Mexican, but very good.

DT - you've never had Santa Ynez Gopher & Goat Haggis???

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
Yeah Mennonite tamales would be like the rest of their food - filling but bland! Actually in Alabama/Mississippi, the tamale was introduced over 70 years ago by migrant works and adopted into the local comfort food canon. Not quite Mexican, but very good.DT - you've never had Santa Ynez Gopher & Goat Haggis???
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,724 posts
I would never have associated the followers of Menno Simons with tamales. Baked goods? Yes. Tamales? No. Next thing you know we'll have Chumash Indians here in California selling haggis and shortbread. Travis Rodgers said:
There are some Menonite? women here who have a stand out most Saturdays selling home-made baked goods and delicious home-made Tamales. My Mom goes by almost every week for her lunch.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
The Latin Market here, on Saturdays only, serves shredded chicken enchiladas with mole poblano, topped with some shredded lettuce. $8 for a heaping plate full of home made goodness.
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I mix a chocolate mole sauce into cooked and shredded chicken breast and rolling in flour tortillas. Then bake covered with enchilada sauce and a bit of cheese. My version of chicken enchiladas.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
FF - that's an interesting simple Mole Poblano recipe. The ingredient list does not include chocolate, but the directions do. I like sunflower seeds in mine rather than almonds, but every chef has his/er variations. One I know puts a couple of Mexican ginger snap cookies in hers. Certainly doable as a parve sauce. Pasillas are very mild dried chiles sometimes called chiles negro or mullato. Anchos are another good mild dried chile.There are six basic moles, of which mole poblano is one. Some culinarians believe in a seventh "lost" mole... I heard Dan Brown's next book will be Search for the Lost Mole!!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,724 posts
Wow! 800 members is impressive, especially since the site is not even a year old. I had no idea. When I found you all I thought I was joining a group of folks who had been interacting for years.Thanks to Strumelia, of course, for making all this possible, but also to everyone here who makes FOTMD such a warm and welcoming place to learn about dulcimers, turkey poblano, and a range of oddities of all sorts. Strumelia said:
Travis Rodgers said:
Man it's hard to believe how this group has grown. I remember when Strumelia announced that she was starting it. It seems like just a couple months ago.

In fact, FOTMD's first year anniversary is coming up soon....on July 29th!! That's the day it was launched and the day it got its very first member...Pristine2/Richard. The following day it got 7 more members, the day after that 8 more..... It does seem like just yesterday though! 8.gif

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
That's an idea. Sort of a variation of a chicken poblano. I've had to give up on the stews and soups or any recipe with meat based borths, but this recipe: http://recipeland.com/recipe/v/Classic-Mole-Poblano-Sauce-45959 Sounds like it would be doable with a vegetable broth or a parve (meatless) chicken flavored stock. With all the spices to enhance the flavor I don't think the actual chicken stock flavor would be that noticeable. Ken Hulme said:
I sereve my leftover turkey with Mole Poblano, a fabulous mixture of 20-30 ingredients including several kinds of chiles and chocolate.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
I sereve my leftover turkey with Mole Poblano, a fabulous mixture of 20-30 ingredients including several kinds of chiles and chocolate.
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Thinking in terms of leftovers in stew, I think turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing make a nice grilled sandwich, but I wouldn't want to use them all in a stew. Ken Hulme said:
Whatchagot Stew can be a culinary masterpiece Smile.gif or an utter disasterFrown.gif
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
Whatchagot Stew can be a culinary masterpiece Smile.gif or an utter disasterFrown.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
Now to figure out what to do with the leftovers...

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Hic Hic, sorry Rod Rod Westerfield said:
oh I specialize in dulcimer related obsessive-compulsive disorder, but probably not the help ya might want... remember you can never have enough dulcimers.. take 1 or 2 and call me in the morning..Smile.gif

boy this food is good pass those burgers this way please... John get out of that white dew Grin.gif
9.gif 9.gif 9.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
Travis Rodgers said:
Man it's hard to believe how this group has grown. I remember when Strumelia announced that she was starting it. It seems like just a couple months ago.
In fact, FOTMD's first year anniversary is coming up soon....on July 29th!! That's the day it was launched and the day it got its very first member...Pristine2/Richard. The following day it got 7 more members, the day after that 8 more..... It does seem like just yesterday though!

--
Site Owner

Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
14 years ago
109 posts
oh I specialize in dulcimer related obsessive-compulsive disorder, but probably not the help ya might want... remember you can never have enough dulcimers.. take 1 or 2 and call me in the morning..Smile.gif boy this food is good pass those burgers this way please... John get out of that white dew Grin.gif
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,421 posts
Strumelia and Rod,You both have my undying gratitude.And if Mo's psychotherapy sessions run under a hundred bucks, sign me up for them, too. Grin.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
Hey, Let's dance! Woo-HOOOO!!!And hey thanks Rod. A round of applause to my right hand man and personal FOTMD psychotherapist 'Deputy Mo' too!

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
Oh they call it that good ole mountain de-ew!And them that refuse it are few!So shut up yer mug.And fill up my jug.With some good ole mountain dew!Second verse... same as the first!!!!Grin.gif
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
14 years ago
109 posts
PARTY PARTY PARTY... now pass that food Grin.gif but on the serious side... a round of applause and congrats to our fearless leader Strumelia.. glad ya took the step and started FOTMD.. look at the family you have grown. And we will only continue to grow.. now wheres my mtn dew..Smile.gif
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,421 posts
Thank goodness we've hit 800! I'm starving!Robinwho's at the front of the line for the food
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Congrats!!! Don't you ever sleep?JohnH36.gif 113.gif 41.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
YAY!!!! Hard to believe!

--
Site Owner

Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
14 years ago
31 posts
Travis Rodgers said:
I was reading a couple articles about favorite pizza toppings around the world, and found that Shrimp and Pineapple is the favorite topping in Australia. I tried it, and it's actually pretty good, so I'll bring that.
Our daughter, Gabriela, likes shrimp and bacon pizza.If you bring another, make it tomato, green pepper, and onion, please.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
Todd Willsey said:
That will be the hook at the end of the song. Sort of like how sale prices always sound better at $7.99 instead of $8.00. Now I have a direction to go with it, thanks. Maybe set it to the tune of "Wabash Cannonball".
Todd, it might wind up being a big FOTMD hit song. How about setting it to the tune of Petticoat Junction ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7_-N_zTJnk And then, if that's not good enough....how about the late Dennis Hopper guest starring on Petticoat Junction as a young beat poet? LOL!

--
Site Owner

Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
14 years ago
28 posts
Todd Willsey said:
That will be the hook at the end of the song. Sort of like how sale prices always sound better at $7.99 instead of $8.00. Now I have a direction to go with it, thanks. Maybe set it to the tune of "Wabash Cannonball".
NOOOoooooo! NOT Wabash Cannonball! Beyuck gack cough, shudders.Better Wreck of the Old 97. Or . . . in this case The Wreck of Old 799 .Michael
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
Todd, Ol' #799 sounds better, like a steam engine or something. 800 sounds too space-age or like some ad- "the New Ginzu800 vegetable paring knife"! Be glad you are the more dignified and venerable #799.

--
Site Owner

Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
14 years ago
28 posts
Todd Willsey said:
What's the count at? I just joined.
Todd W,Welcome. You are member number 799.Party time just around the corner.Michaelmy band: www.goodfornuthin.com
Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
14 years ago
31 posts
Shall we reprisethe stinky cheese?We need the roomsto contain the fumes.Who're the snackerswho'll bring the crackers?(Some home-baked breadmay do instead.)
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
Randall - just don't boil it so long and hot that it turns to sulphurous gray muck!! Cook it just long enough to go limp...
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
We have 795 members so far today, and we are only short about $10 from reaching our $500 site rent goal for the coming year. Looks like we will make our rent goal before hitting 800 members!

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
795 members so far....

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I bring butterscotch shortbread.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
Hmmm....I should bring some salad too. I took this photo this morning in my garden:

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
Red Algae frybread? Okaaaaaay. I'm gonna call my friend Andrew Zimmern. Like Mikey of the commercials, he'll eat anything!
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Laver!!! (Porphyra Umbillicalis)JohnH
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
'Fried lather'....?

--
Site Owner

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Ken, eggs would be great, they are good just broken over the fried laver at the last minuteI You do all LIKE laver bread don't you? Its a bit slimey I know, but as my Mother used to say "stop moaning, it's good for you!"JohnH Flint Hill said:
We'll bring eggs. And goose quill noters as party favors. We've only got three geese. I'll tell 'em they better get to work.
Flint Hill
Flint Hill
@flint-hill
14 years ago
62 posts
We'll bring eggs. And goose quill noters as party favors. We've only got three geese. I'll tell 'em they better get to work.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,421 posts
Thanks, Rod, I'll take 'em!I see Strumelia's skillets will be in use-- those 'Dutch Babies' look good!-- so can't borrow them.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,252 posts
792 members right now.... I think I'll make some 'Dutch Babies' in my cast iron skillets, made with batter and fresh fruit. Here are some I made last year:

--
Site Owner

Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
14 years ago
109 posts
Robin Thompson said:
I make a decent whole wheat crust pizza in a cast iron skillet. Trouble is, only got one skillet. So, I'm thinking I'll need to borrow 199 skillets. Grin.gif
Robin I know there are at least 6 if not more iron skillets in our garage.. you're more than welcome to borrow them.. that just leaves about 193 more to get...Smile.gif
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,421 posts
I make a decent whole wheat crust pizza in a cast iron skillet. Trouble is, only got one skillet. So, I'm thinking I'll need to borrow 199 skillets. Grin.gif
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
Coming up on 800 members of FOTMD pretty darn quick!

I'm bringing Grilled White Balsamic Marinated Flank Steak with Sauteed Wild Mushrooms (shiitake, mitake, crimini, & morels). I figure with 800 members, we'll need at least 400 pounds.

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/16/19 09:45:20PM