Dave Lynch Harpmaker passing

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 months ago
399 posts

I just saw this post and was so sorry to hear that Dave had died, although I'm glad he's no longer in pain.  I had a lot of respect for him, both as a luthier and being the all-around nice guy that he was.  I own several of his instruments and was fortunate to be able to visit his workshop in Indiana.  His instruments will be lovingly passed on for generations to come.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
last year
231 posts

So sorry to hear of Dave's passing. He was a great guy and a wonderful builder. He built a couple of dulcimers for me that demonstrated beautiful craftsmanship and wonderful sound. My sincere sympathies to his family and loved ones.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,720 posts

So sorry to hear of David's passing.  He was a fine luthier, and his student model dulcimer helped hundreds of people learn the dulcimer without breaking the bank.  I still have one as does one of my students.

Sincere condolences to you and your family, @folkfan.  It's nice to hear from you but I wish it were for a different reason.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,248 posts

Robin and KenL both said it so well.

I hope David is at peace, and that he will be remembered in the beautiful sound of hundreds of people playing his dulcimers for years to come. My wishes for comfort go out to his loved ones.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
1,073 posts

Folkfan, you have my deepest sympathy. Dave was a friend to so many dulcimer players. His student dulcimer got so many folks started on our beloved instrument. His "travel" dulcimer was a unique innovation. He will be missed by so many people. I consider myself fortunate to have known him in this life.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@folkfan Keigh, my heart is with you and your dear ones.  Dave was, truly, a good guy!  I was fortunate to have had our paths cross a couple times.  Your brother's beautiful instruments sing now for so many and will sing for years to come!  Rest in peace, Harpmaker.    

folkfan
@folkfan
last year
357 posts

I wanted to let Dave's friends here at FOTMD know that Dave passed away at our sister, Barbara's home.  He had been suffering from stage 4 lung cancer.  Now he is no longer in pain.  Keigh/folkfan