Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,248 posts

For anyone looking for how to upload an AUDIO file to FOTMD's Audio section, please see the simple instructions here in this other discussion:

https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/site-questions-how-do-i/32804/how-to-add-an-audio-mp3-or-soundcloud-clip-to-fotmd

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,248 posts

Yes, that is indeed a Youtube setting in your YT preferences... I have no idea where to find it now but I remember setting my prefs for that in my Youtube settings.

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,720 posts

Peter, if it's possible to stop that, it would be a YouTube setting.  I'll poke around there and see if I can find anything. 

Does Vimeo do the same thing?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Peter Searle
Peter Searle
@peter-searle
6 years ago
1 posts

I add a video to FOTMD having saved it as a YouTube video.  At the end of playing the video YouTube then displays a selection of recommended further videos.  Is there any way to stop this and just end cleanly at the end of my video?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

Erin Hussey:

If I could, i would run the conversions on the IPad (vs my aging Macbook) but discovered Ipad cannot currently open the wma file when I tried sending that attached to email or via Drive...does Audacity function for this?....or, any chance you know of app or download that could support managing these conversions or edits within IPad format? Thanks again, E

Erin, I am not sure about apps or downloads or even iPads, but there are plenty of free audio conversion websites where you upload an audio file and specify what format you want the file in.  IF you just Google something like "online audio converter" you will get several options.  One I have used is available here , which allows you to specify the format you want the file converted to and also the quality (which equates to size) of that file.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
8 years ago
27 posts

Erin, I record my videos with a little canon vixia camcorder and load them to my computer using the "Image Browser" software that I think came with the camera. Then I use a free app called "Any Video Converter" to edit out all the bad takes etc. and to convert from MP4 to MP3.  MP4 is usually too big for this site. Then I load the MP3 on to Youtube and voila from Youtube I can share it here on FOTMD.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,248 posts

Patty's right about that, Erin-  you can set your video to private, semi-private, or public on Youtube, but you won't be able to have it selectively view-able to only certain people here on FOTMD-  it has to be set to public if you add it here on FOTMD.  I'm talking about if you want it to be in our site's general Video section.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 03/12/16 10:43:01AM
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 years ago
231 posts

I'm not sure about Vimeo as I've not personally uploaded videos to that site. For Youtube you would have to make the video public in order to share it. There is an option for private but I don't think that will work for linking your video on this site for every one to be able to see it.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,248 posts

Adding audio/music files to FOTMD Music section:  

1) upload either an MP3 (and if it's too large a message will say so)

OR  2) Add it as a Soundcloud clip. (you have a Soundcloud account where you've already uploaded your audio clips) -Soundcloud is like Youtube but for audio clips.

Adding a video to FOTMD video section:

1) Follow the instructions to add a YOUTUBE video that you've already uploaded onto your Youtube account.

2) OR... Follow the instructions to add a VIMEO video that you've already uploaded onto your Vimeo account.

Note- you can upload an MP3 directly from your computer to the Music section.  You cannot upload a video directly from your computer to the video section.

--
Site Owner

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
8 years ago
239 posts

Audio files: Convert them to .mp3 as the files are much smaller and more compatible with just about every application. There are a number of free packages that will do this. I use Audacity, it's fairly user friendly and means you can edit your recordings to improve the quality as well as save them in different formats. Sort of photoshop for music!

Video files: Upload to Youtube or Vimeo and then link to them from here.

Robin

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 years ago
231 posts

Try uploading to Youtube or Vimeo. You can then reference the link when you do Add video on this site.

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
8 years ago
77 posts

Erin, I record my tunes on my Mac using Garage Band. I think it saves as a MP4 which I don't think is compatible here. I use a free app to convert it to a MP3.