Remembering "Deputy Mo" / The Friendly Beasts

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,071 posts

I thought of Rod when I did The Friendly Beasts for our Tuesday evening Zoom group video. Even after 11 years I have fond memories of all the conversations I had with Rod.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
231 posts

So fondly remember Rod. May we never forget those dulcimer friends who have gone on before.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,247 posts

Well said KenH.  To all our fondly remembered friends! 🎄🛷🕯

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,113 posts

beer   To Rod... and our other Absent Friends.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Remembering our dear friend Rod.  

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
3 years ago
258 posts

Fond memories of the Deputy, I received my copy of his small booklet of tunes while recovering from my first heart procedure, it helped !

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

@slate-creek-dulcimers Santa Claus put some stuff in the mail early this year.  :)

Mill Branch Dulcimores
Mill Branch Dulcimores
@mill-branch-dulcimores
4 years ago
22 posts
My first dulcimer friend. Mysteriously I received his book and accompanying CD in the mail today. If it was from someone here you don't know what it means to me. ❤️
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

Oh, my, has it been ten years since Rod died?  I remember getting home from a family gathering and seeing the sad news.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,071 posts

Rod was a generous and caring person. He was always so helpful. I've missed him over the years. I can't believe it has been ten years.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,247 posts

On Christmas day 2020 it will be ten years since Rod passed away. Just wanted to post a fond remembrance of "Deputy Mo" again. He contributed so much friendship and encouragement to members here on FOTMD. Rest in peace and in music, Rod.

--
Site Owner

Mr. Phil Mcdaniel
Mr. Phil Mcdaniel
@mr-phil
11 years ago
0 posts

Sounds like I would have really liked Dep. MO. Sorry to realize he's no longer with us. Has anyone filled his shoes??

22.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
11 years ago
1,415 posts
I remember coming home on that evening of Christmas '10 and seeing Sharon J's posting the sad news of Rod's passing.I treasure the book of sacred harp tunes and the accompanying recording Rod made.Thanks, Deputy Mo, for the friendly spirit you brought to FOTMD! When we get together to play tunes, I'm counting on you to supply the Mountain Dew. Strumelia can bring one of her famous Jell-O molds. :)
James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
11 years ago
87 posts

I came across Rod on PalTalk, and he was a good person. It was always a pleasure hearing his playing, as well as him talking about his assorted dulcimers and sharing what they were tuned to etc. I still can not believe it's been 3 years.

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
11 years ago
258 posts

Thanks for that Lisa ! As for the angels, well, he always seemed to have plenty of instruments out on loan ............. !!! Dusty, I agree with you about Paltalk, he as good as held my hand when I first went on .

John

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,719 posts

I can't believe it's been three years. Wow. Rod was the first one to welcome me to FOTMD. He was a generous and kind soul. One reason I don't join the dulcimer club on Paltalk much anymore is because his absence there--even after three years--is so palpable it makes me sad.

I like that image of him teaching angels to play the dulcimer.

493_forums.gif

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
11 years ago
2,247 posts

FOTMD member John Henry in the UK recently posted a video of his beautiful version of The Friendly Beasts, one of my favorite Christmas Carols.

John Henry then mentioned that he was encouraged years ago here on fotmd by our then-moderator Rod Westerfield affectionately known to us all as "Deputy Mo". John Henry writes:

I had more or less abandoned noter play until I found my way here, used a peculiar form of chordal play instead, but thanks to our friend 'Deputy Mo', who offered encouragement not only in my use of the noter, but also in the way I approached this infernal machine...I gained a little confidence, and now you have me , warts and all. All I ever try to do is (i) illustrate that expression can be coaxed from a tune when using a noter, and (ii) share what I do in the hope that it may help others....

John (it was Rod who drew my attention to the use of this tune as a Christmas Carol ??? )

Rod loved this site dearly- tirelessly helping and encouraging everyone, particularly beginner players. He was a good friend and a great help in all ways. His posts and explanations are still helping people here. Sadly, Rod passed away unexpectedly on Christmas day in 2010, but his contributions, posts, and FOTMD page are still here on fotmd: https://fotmd.com/rod-westerfield

I remember Rod particularly at Christmas time here on the site, and John Henry's video and comments made me recall how Rod and I agreed that The Friendly Beasts was one of our favorite carols.

So I thought it would be nice to pull Rod's recording of The Friendly Beasts from his profile page playlist and post it here below. I've attached the MP3 clip at the bottom of this post. We can raise a little toast to 'Deputy Mo' this holiday season, and know that he continues to help and encourage players, both here on FOTMD and up on high...I like to think of him teaching the angels how to play the mountain dulcimer...

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/10/20 07:17:18PM