Robert N. Lackey, rest in peace

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 months ago
1,729 posts

Thanks for sharing that article, Ken.  What a great way to honor Rob's life! 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
2,255 posts

Thanks Ken for pointing us to that article about the jam honoring Rob.  @jim-fawcett , i like what you had to say in the article. I also liked the description of Rob as so much more than a musician, but also as a 'community builder'.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
85 posts

He was my good friend for many years. I was sadden to hear of his passing, Took the wind out of my sails so to speak. This Feb. 23rd. at the Gardner Winter Music Festival they will be having a memorial for him. I was asked to speak on how Wartz came about. Rob, Kevin Messenger, and myself were the "Three Amigo's" that got it started. But Rob was the backbone and driving force of the group. So caring and a great teacher. He will be missed by all. Rest in peace my friend. 

--
Site Moderator
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 months ago
231 posts

I will miss him. He did a soundtrack for Carrie and me as a spoof of Where O Where Are You Tonight. He did a bit of a rework on Where O Where Has My Little Dog Gone for me as well. He taught us so much. He organized the Wartz gatherings every Spring and Fall. I've got video of him at the Wartz gatherings on my page. Carrie used to say he would make a washboard sound good. He was that good of a musician. He could take any dulcimer and make it sound great. I just found out about this from Jim yesterday. It made me cry. I will be keeping his family and friends in prayer. I surely will miss him. I'm so glad I have two of his cds. I can still hear him play. 

https://spicermullikin.com/robert-neil-lackey/?fbclid=IwAR37K4AGHLNxW4nEqm1lxTcoiKd7Z_6M3ymarh7o6_Gmaos5LWHjlzQMfWc

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
4 months ago
28 posts

I am very much saddened by this news. Rest In Peace Rob.

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
4 months ago
68 posts

This makes me so sad…….

He was what makes the dulcimer community so wonderful!  Prayers for his family and friends 🙏

Wally Venable
Wally Venable
@wally-venable
4 months ago
64 posts

Norma and I attended a good many sessions by or with Bob in the Morgantown-Fairmont-Fort New Salem, WV over the past eight or ten years. He was always good company.

We now remember not seeing him at dulcimer events over the past year or so.

We will miss him.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
2,255 posts

This is such sad news. Rob was a great friend to all members of FOTMD, and he liked to greet new members personally when they joined, with a welcoming comment on their page. He did this as a labor of love for many years.

Rob was a great teacher and encourager in music and song. He loved history and tradition and was a treasure trove of knowledge. We are indeed blessed that Rob posted 57 videos here in our videos section. I encourage everyone to listen to some of his songs and tunes .

I know he will be deeply missed by so many of us. Rest in peace Rob.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 months ago
1,729 posts

Very sad news.  Thanks for letting us know, Ken.  I just posted on the funeral home website and I encourage others to do so.  I only knew Rob from FOTMD and YouTube, but I will miss our interactions greatly.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
2,126 posts

Soooo sorry to hear this.  !sadsmile

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
1,429 posts

I offer my sympathies to Rob's family and friends.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 months ago
1,090 posts

Here is a link to the obituary for Rob Lackey. https://spicermullikin.com/robert-neil-lackey/ It is in the chat area, but I know some folks don't use that. Rob was one of our greeters here. He was a wonderful dulcimer player besides being an accomplished guitarist. He was very active in the mountain dulcimer and folk music communities around Fairmount, WV. He will be missed by family and friends.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."