Great Lyric/Chord Find

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
5 years ago
197 posts

Using the earliest Wayback Machine capture , however, produced this great resource &, yes, @ruth-lawrence , I was able to click & find "Cats in the Cradle. "  I know Dusty's site (still online at this writing) let you find the song.  Don't know if his link is a more recent posting from the same people after the Berkeley.edu site was dropped, but there's never enough ways to find a song when you really want it & this did indeed give a lot of 60s & 70s songs.

john p
john p
@john-p
11 years ago
173 posts

Bet you don't get many French subscribers to the 'Show Us Your Pets' thread either Smile.gif

john

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,726 posts

This kind of inter-linguistic confusion can be offensive and comical, too. Years ago while i was living in France the family I was staying with welcomed another American for a dinner. She had just spent a few days in Paris on her first trip to France. They asked her how she liked Paris, and she responded that Paris was the city of joy--"Paris est la ville de joie"--and she wanted to say that she was ajoyous girlas well, so she said, "Et je suis une fille de joie." Horror fell on the faces of the French family. You see, "fille de joie" may literally mean girl of joy, but it the common name for, well, shall we say . . . una puta.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,123 posts

No offense meant or taken. Just a gentle reminder that we are an international community here and not everyone is cognizant of Anglo-American-Canadian slang, abbreviations, and such, which can be mis-taken.

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
11 years ago
25 posts

I do not speak or come in contact with Spanish in this island nation where the word is common as a diminutive for computer that I believe is in homage to Mircea Puta the mathematician.

No offense was or is intended and it just goes to show how careful everyone must be especially if like me you have lead a sheltered life.

I have heard of the Roman Goddess and a Town in Baku, a retaurant in Gothenburg,a New York record company, even a moth found here in western europe but until I googled for the Spanish definition I was blissfully ignorant.

Silly really as our daughter lives in Northern Italy where the language is somewhat similar and my grandson is a follower of Anime and has had a schoolboy giggle at the yellow-green Keronian painter Putata!

I now know why!

P.S. I thank you for inadvertently pointing me towards an education in expletives I will never again speak of that carnivorous shoaling fish that lives in Brazilian rivers by name!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,123 posts

Well, folks I posted that link nearly two years ago. Time change, so do websites. I'm sorry but I don't know where it's gone.

BTW Dave, 'puta' in Spanish is very offensive.Not really a good abbreviation of 'computer'. In Turkish it's the name of a type of Ottoman Empire archer's bow.

Dave Ismay
Dave Ismay
@dave-ismay
11 years ago
25 posts

Seems like us folks here can not access this or is it just my puta?

I can find two pages of google links but they all lead nowhere and show as 'Not found on this server'

Drat !

Ruth Lawrence
Ruth Lawrence
@ruth-lawrence
11 years ago
41 posts

Thanks for that link! I was looking for Cats in the Cradle and that is in the list.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,726 posts

I don't know if this is the same collection, but here are 200 songs: http://singalongwith.us/ .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ruth Lawrence
Ruth Lawrence
@ruth-lawrence
11 years ago
41 posts

Alas this site seems to not exist anymore. Does anyone know whether there's a mirror site or new URL? Via the way back machine I can see the main page with all the song titles, but alas, the links don't work.

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts

Great Find Ken. Oh gee wiz's I hate to say how many of them I know from when they where on the charts. Man when did I get old.24.gif

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
12 years ago
399 posts

Thanks for sharing this! I remember about 70 per cent of them, I'd guess....great to have the words to all those verses! I will definitely use this wonderful resource.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Richard Venneman
Richard Venneman
@richard-venneman
13 years ago
3 posts

A great site. I am just learning Band-in-a-box and this is a great reference for building a song.

Gwyn Calvetti
Gwyn Calvetti
@gwyn-calvetti
13 years ago
12 posts

That's a pretty cool resource...now if I can get the skills to put it to good use. Thanks for sharing it!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,123 posts
At first glance there are only about 20 songs on that list that I don't know! And I can play probably 85% of those I do know. Some I've just not tried to pick out yet...
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
13 years ago
420 posts

WOOOOO WHOOOO

Way to go Ken!

Great find

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,123 posts

Fort those who love the music of the 60s and 70s and beyond, here's a great lyric and guitar chord collection I discovered while searching for lyrics to Dancing Bear by the Mommas & Pappas:

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/~aparsons/guitar/guitar2.html

updated by @ken-hulme: 08/01/23 02:44:12AM