Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
2,257 posts

Glad to hear your eye surgery is behind you, Ken!  coool
Those are two really wonderful dulcimers you have there. 🙌🏼

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
jazzc
@jazzc
one month ago
14 posts

Ken Hulme:

Hi @jazzc...  Had cataract surgery yesterday so i couldn't take any pix until today... Here are my two favorite Traditional dulcemores:   
Uncle Ed Thomas replica Kentucky Hourglass by John Knopf on the bottom. Traditionally painted flat black. 
Above is my Virginia style Hogfiddle by Bobby Ratliff
Both have the high-silvery sound of traditional dulcemores rather than the more mellow sound of modern dulcimers

Very cool!  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
2,126 posts

Thanx John,  Fixed it.  y new eye isn't quite up to par yet... another few days before the swelling goes down.  

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
one month ago
390 posts

It's t'other way around, Ken!  VA at the top, KY at the bottom.  That Ed Thomas sure is a beauty!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
2,126 posts

Hi @jazzc...  Had cataract surgery yesterday so i couldn't take any pix until today... Here are my two favorite Traditional dulcemores:   
Uncle Ed Thomas replica Kentucky Hourglass by John Knopf on the bottom. Traditionally painted flat black. 
Above is my Virginia style Hogfiddle by Bobby Ratliff
Both have the high-silvery sound of traditional dulcemores rather than the more mellow sound of modern dulcimers

Favs2.jpg
Favs2.jpg  •  62KB

updated by @ken-hulme: 03/29/24 10:07:20AM
jazzc
@jazzc
one month ago
14 posts

Ken Hulme:

Either my Uncle Ed Thomas traditional dulcemore replica by John Knopf; or my  traditional Virginia style Hogfiddle by Bobby Ratliff,  Both with staple frets under the melody string and plain (no 6+) diatonic fret layout.  

Cool.  Have you ever posted pics of them?  I'd love to see them!

jazzc
@jazzc
one month ago
14 posts

Susie:

If I had to pick just one, it would be my Folkcraft Custom with a butternut top and walnut back and sides. It has the fret layout I love, a 27" vsl, and a Fishman Prefix Pro Blend pickup with a built in preamp. It has other custom features like the dolphin sound holes and a maple dolphin inlay at the 5th fret and a galax back.  It's everything I would ever want and has a beautiful tone.

1000001419.jpg

What a beauty!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
2,126 posts

Either my Uncle Ed Thomas traditional dulcemore replica by John Knopf; or my  traditional Virginia style Hogfiddle by Bobby Ratliff,  Both with staple frets under the melody string and plain (no 6+) diatonic fret layout.  

Susie
Susie
@susie
one month ago
500 posts

If I had to pick just one, it would be my Folkcraft Custom with a butternut top and walnut back and sides. It has the fret layout I love, a 27" vsl, and a Fishman Prefix Pro Blend pickup with a built in preamp. It has other custom features like the dolphin sound holes and a maple dolphin inlay at the 5th fret and a galax back.  It's everything I would ever want and has a beautiful tone.

1000001419.jpg

updated by @susie: 03/26/24 06:26:57PM
Pete Babechuk
Pete Babechuk
@pete-babechuk
one month ago
3 posts

Silverstrings:

I already own my dream dulcimer which is a Blue Lion Acoustic Jam dulcimer. Like Robin’s dulcimer, it is made with a western red cedar soundboard and walnut back and sides. The VSL is 26.25.” I play mostly fingerpicking chord style. The Blue Lion dulcimer is great for that. I guess having some beautiful inlay work would make it even more dreamy. Since acquiring the Blue Lion AJ dulcimer, my playing has greatly improved.

I looked up the dulcimer you have. Beautiful instrument. So glad to hear your playing improved so much since you acquired it.

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
one month ago
54 posts

I already own my dream dulcimer which is a Blue Lion Acoustic Jam dulcimer. Like Robin’s dulcimer, it is made with a western red cedar soundboard and walnut back and sides. The VSL is 26.25.” I play mostly fingerpicking chord style. The Blue Lion dulcimer is great for that. I guess having some beautiful inlay work would make it even more dreamy. Since acquiring the Blue Lion AJ dulcimer, my playing has greatly improved.

updated by @silverstrings: 03/25/24 10:34:01PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
1,434 posts

I'm fortunate to own a dream dulcimer, a Blue Lion Jean Ritchie model instrument.  Top is Western Red Cedar, sides & back are Walnut.  I can't tell you the VSL off the top of my head-- I only play with a noter so VSL isn't much of a factor.  

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
one month ago
235 posts

Tough question. If I could have just one, today, I think it would be a 1917 RT model, a replication of an older Thomas made for Bailis Ritchie in all walnut built by Dan Cox. Maybe tomorrow it would be something else.

jazzc
@jazzc
one month ago
14 posts

Homer Ross:

What type of music do you play now and/or wish to learn in the future?

I like slower, thoughtful music, am better at strumming than picking, but am trying to learn finger picking.  I know it's about the sound, but I LOVE lighter wood; I play ukulele and have 2 maple and spruce top ukes.  Dusty's dulcimer is calling to me, but I'm afraid of the long vsl, as I love my ginger; it made me fall in love with the dulcimer again after a several year hiatus.

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
one month ago
251 posts

That's a fun question. I've always wanted a Homer Ledford dulcibro. The craftsmanship is gorgeous, I love the metal sound, and it's a piece of dulcimer history. Unfortunately, but justifiably, they are quite expensive so that one might be a while for me lol.

Homer Ross
Homer Ross
@homer-ross
one month ago
15 posts

What type of music do you play now and/or wish to learn in the future?

jazzc
@jazzc
one month ago
14 posts

If you could have your dream dulcimer, or have it already, what would it be?  Woods? VSL? Maker?

I'm thinking of getting a new dulcimer and wish to explore options.  Thanks!  Jazz