Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
12 years ago
399 posts

Anybody know who won this? Looks like an Edsel to me, in which case somebody got a nice piece of dulcimer history, even with its "issues".Smile.gif

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

Geekling, Grin.gif

I wasn't clear about how I used to hold a mountain dulcimer upright to bow it. When I did this, the instrument was nowhere near the floor-- the lower bout was held/balanced between my knees.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

Hey, friends, this same instrument is attracting attention on another FOTMD thread, too.

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/forum/topics/funny-ebay-listing

It's a cool piece of folk art. The fretboard does appear to have a radius to it. I suppose someone could've bowed it, holding it upright the way I hold my bowed dulcimers; I used to bow a mountain dulcimer this way. From the looks of it, though, I'd just call it a mountain dulcimer.

RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
12 years ago
41 posts

lol

Mandy said:

Love the looks of it, but my goodness that poor stump has been impaled by a TON of booze. Grin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Love the looks of it, but my goodness that poor stump has been impaled by a TON of booze. Grin.gif

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Sorry I can't offer any help, but I would like to add that that is a unique piece. I like it. It has very nice lines and appears to be in pretty good repair. I wouldn't change the soundholes. I have one with none. Sounds very sweet.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
12 years ago
86 posts

Raven it appears to have a radiused fretboard, and the bridge seems arched as well. I think you might be right about it beung a bowed dulcimer. You might want to see what Robim Thompson thinks she plays a bowed dulci.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

Another example of someone building a dulcimer without a lot of clues. The staggered string pins are interesting. The peg in the tail block may be just to keep the end off the ground when you stand it in the corner. Another builder who does not understand the function of sound hole size to body size! Nice elliptical shape though,,,

folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

Well I have seen dulcimers built as canes or walking sticks. Perhaps this is someone's version of a dulcimer cane??? Just a guess.

RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
12 years ago
41 posts

has a woman's head carved on the top like a old pirates ship.....anyone understand what that stump is on the bottom?.... is this a dulcimer for bowing?....said to be vintage ...strings are spaced wide......also now I'm addicted to the looks of some thanks FOTMD

updated by @ravenmadd-garcia: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM