Does anyone recognize this dulcimer?

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Currently still investigating, working with the seller, to try to figure out what he really has or if he even has it. Still have reached no conclusion. May be a simple mistake on his part. Asking for more pics, and will continue to speak with him. He is finally coming out of his shell. Don't want to not help a vet, if he needs the help, but obviously don't want to buy a copy. Thanks everyone.

Update, the has gone missing. How strange. Oh well.

updated by @nathina: 12/02/20 11:20:54PM
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Some interesting information on HA Fleming. If correct he died in 1981. So I came across a sale on an HA Fleming according to the owner dated (H. A. Fleming 08-18-90). It is a beautiful instrument that is pictured, but although he said he would show the signature and build inside the instrument. He hasn't. It definitely looks like a Fleming, but unless he came back from the grave, or someone is building under his name it is interesting. It is a 5 string, currently rigged for 3, and I think two hitch pins have been pulled. Now unless I am missing a tuning knob, there are 4 shown in one pic and 5 in another. The back does not come up high enough to cover a tuner. Would have loved to see pics of the sides and the foot.

updated by @nathina: 12/01/20 10:01:42PM
Jim Hedman
Jim Hedman
@jim-hedman
6 years ago
25 posts

Egad! Thanks for the quick come-back!  Your peg-box detail showed me something about my dulcimer that I did not know until just now. Your peg-box is obviously three-piece:  Although the joining is as good as it gets, the grain is a dead giveaway (not implying that it is obnoxious or anything of the sort).  I looked very closely at mine again and sho'-nuff it's three-piece too, except in my example the grain pattern and colors make it almost indiscernible - I don't know if that was deliberate or luck of the draw.

I'm curious, if you would further indulge me, about the nut end of the peg-box:  Does it open under the nut into the body?

Comparing our examples with Jennifer's, I see that ours have a flat land between the distal end of the peg-box cavity and the scroll-head, while Jennifer's scroll-head drops straightaway into the peg-box cavity.  I don't know if that represents a design change (Jennifer's is the most recent build) or just some experimental variation that Bill indulged in. As for design appeal, I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder.  Regarding a practical purpose for eliminating that land, the only thing that comes to mind would be to shorten the overall length a bit.

On the tuners, from your latest photos it looks like I found a durn good match for you. A little polish on what you have and one would be hard pressed to tell the difference, old from new (if the dimensions match, that is).  If you elect to replace the broken tuner be sure to leave that extension in the small hole opposite the mounting hole. Not that you necessarily need it - do it just to keep things "as was" as possible (I think it's intended to reduce lateral stain on the peg shaft).  As for any adverse affect on collector value, if you keep the broken key, the instrument can be returned to where it was when it became yours. I have this ongoing project dulcimer (a Carstanjen courting dulcimer) that was unplayable as found and after crafting new nuts and replacing the fixed bridges to floating bridges now sounds pretty cool except for a body rattle problem caused, I'm sure, by unbound braces. Anyway, so far, everything I've done can be undone should some future owner want it that way - but from there it would become a wall-hanger only and/or an audio torture device.  I'll be talking about this project soon in a dedicated post cuz I do need some advice on where to go from from where I'm at.

Moving on, as a three-course four-string with melody doublet, you could convert by cutting new string notches in the center of the bridge and the nut, but personally I'd hate to see you do that and rather have you opt to leave it as a four course, with or without the doublet.  Of course, with the set-up you now have you can do a D-A-dd three-course with a somewhat awkward string spacing yet optionally swap to D-A-d-d four-course by simply loosening the inner string of the doublet, moving it over to the high drone slot, then re-tuning - no string removal required.

From your photos I see you may already be afflicted with the dreaded DAD syndrome.  There's something to be said for someone who already owns a three-course trying a four-course.  A four course is somewhat harder to master (and at first can be confusing), but it does have a different voice and to me anyway variety is a fun plus, if not the spice of life.

Well, I see I've droned on much longer than I intended to.  So I'll close now with a thanks for the follow request - I'm flattered.

updated by @jim-hedman: 04/06/18 03:23:03AM
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
6 years ago
24 posts

Here you go, Jim! Yep, I totally understood about the name and initials! 

IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG  •  72KB

IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG  •  2.6MB

IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG  •  774KB

IMG_1440.JPG
IMG_1440.JPG  •  2.2MB

Jim Hedman
Jim Hedman
@jim-hedman
6 years ago
25 posts

Linda, now what made you think I was in any way eager? giggle2

No problem with the photos, five minutes with a photo editor and they look just fine. I'd sure appreciate detailed oblique shots of the key box and bridge area though.

You may have misunderstood prior commentary about Fleming's cursive signature.  Both Jennifer and I said the first letters were hard to decipher.  Jennifer thought "HB" for her example, while I assumed "Wm" (based upon an assumed abbreviation for William).  I'm pretty sure Jennifer would confirm "HA" is possible (and hopefully she will respond). As for me I already conceded that the first letter has always looked more like an "H" than a distorted "W" and that the second letter is lost the the cursive "F" which starts the last name - so "HA" is far and away more probable than my original long standing speculation.  As the grave stones confirm "William" was Fleming's second middle name and he went by the nickname "Bill" (which was what he used in our introduction) thereby filling in all the missing pieces of the puzzle.  Using a second name as a call name is not especially rare, especially among Scandinavians. My full name is Arthur James Hedman and I've gone by James (or Jim) since birth.  My grandfather "Pete", a Swedish immigrant,  was Edward Peter Hedman.  A little twist with Bill Fleming is that "William" was an "extra" second name and he apparently did not reference it in his signature - which probably explains why all my previous searches for a Bill Fleming were in vain. So much for the confusion about the signature except maybe the underlying date, which in all three cases is of the form "mm-dd-yy" - dashes not slashes, and with the year abbreviated to last two digits.

Another expository indicator provided by the photos is the spacing of the melody strings on all three dulcimers. They're closer together than any other doublet that I've seen on a dulcimer.  A tad closer than even a 12-string guitar... more like what you'd find on a mandolin.

I really like the figuring on the book matched bottom of your dulcimer. The nut looks to be a replacement. I can see that the nut is displaced to the right, probably because it is not glued and the missing "high drone" is causing it to pull that way.  It also looks like the nut profile does not quite match the nut slot, but maybe it's just an artifact of the shadow cast by the nut being displaced.  I don't know that Bill used anything other than hardwood for nut or bridge/saddle.  At least I have no recollection of that being an option on my custom build. I have a nice piece of vintage black walnut with your name on it if you'd like a replica of the one on my dulcimer.  I extend this offer to Jennifer too, if she wants a replica floating bridge/saddle.

About that broken tuning key for the "high drone", you might want to consider moving the inner melody string to the now empty nut and bridge slots, giving you the four-string (no doublet) configuration that Jennifer used in her beautiful rendition of The Ash Grove . In other words change from the original "D-A-d-dd" to "D-A-d-d".  Another alternative would to replace that broken key with one like the following:

======

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Dulcimer_Tuners/Grover_Champion_Dulcimer_Uke_Friction_Pegs.html

======

A little pricey perhaps, but there's a good chance that the your original keys are Grovers and these appear (except for the patina) to be a very close match.  The specs, including a diagram, are on the web page cited. I know you only need one, but I don't know if the vendor would sell you a single key (you could always call and ask). Or maybe there is a kind builder/repairman reading this that could help you out.

As for what you paid for your Fleming, all I can say is wow!   What a find!  If you should decide to sell it, let me know, PLEASE!

updated by @jim-hedman: 04/05/18 07:08:32PM
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
6 years ago
24 posts

Jim, I'm sending you these now because you are so eager! But they are pretty dark, so if you want me to try again later today I can. Mine clearly says H.A. Fleming 7-17-71 inside-- nothing William about it! But you did some good sleuthing to solve that mystery! Hope these help sate your curiosity!

IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG  •  68KB

IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG  •  555KB

IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG  •  577KB

IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG  •  701KB

Jim Hedman
Jim Hedman
@jim-hedman
6 years ago
25 posts

Jennifer and Linda, I've done some more research and am convinced beyond doubt we all have Bill Fleming Dulcimers.

First I checked the source Linda referenced and came up with this:

=====

Directory of Contemporary American Musical Instrument Makers
Copyright 1981
Pages 44-45

H.A. Fleming
Rt. 2, Gatlinburg, Tenn. 37738
PT  1967  Active  1 emp.  MTO
Historical Brochure 12/74
•Appalachian  dulcimer Over 50 to
date  †•Steel-string guitar  1-10
date  †•Mandolin  1-10 to date  †

=====

So here's a Fleming based in Gatlinburg, quite possibly active in 1981.  But the guy I met in 1970 called himself "Bill" I thought - or was I suffering bad memory after 48 years?  Since "Bill" was no spring chicken when I met him, on a whim I did a grave site search on Fleming with Gatlingburg as the location.  In pretty short order I had my man.  See the photo below, it explains everything!

You were both right, the signature on all three of our dulcimers is H.A. Fleming.  And I was right after all - he did  go by "Bill".  His full name was Harold Anthony William Fleming.  Like me, his nickname was not based on his first name - whoda thunk he'd base it upon a third given name?

The grave site search link is:  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/45622428/harold-anthony_william-fleming  You'll see my findings are pretty much "set in stone".

Linda, I'm just dying to see photos of your Fleming.

Jennifer, that rendition of The Ash Grove is breathtaking!  You coaxed a sweet rendition otta that old box. {p.s. on second look that back does appear to be book-match after all.}

Jim

Fleming Tombstones .jpg

updated by @jim-hedman: 04/04/18 04:12:26PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,253 posts

I moved this thread to our forum on specific luthiers' instruments, questions, and instrument issues.  smile

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jim Hedman
Jim Hedman
@jim-hedman
6 years ago
25 posts

Jennifer, had I not known the maker's name I would have had a hard time deciphering the signature scrawl up to the "L" in Fleming. I just assumed an abbreviation "Wm" for William but looking at it again I can see the first letter could taken as an "H", but bear in mind the grain of the wood might contort the signing to some extent.

Maybe I was not clear about that "open square".  The fingerboard is fashioned from a single piece of wood with a sound hollow routed out from the bottom.  The inverse square cornered "U" profile of the fingerboard continues right into the peg box - thus if you look into the peg box towards the nut there should be an opening under the nut.  He may have omitted that feature on some of his dulcimers but I would think not as I recall him discussing it with some pride.  Of the eight dulcimers I own, only one other has an open ended peg box, which coincidentally (?) is my only other violin-sided 5-string dulcimer.

I agree with your statement about your dulcimer's f-holes being exactly like mine.  Small point maybe, but there's a certain distinctive elegance about his pattern that immediately grabbed me when I saw your first photo, telling me "hey, another Fleming!"  Everything else you have shown or said amplifies that first impression - well, except for the open peg box (but the jury is still out on that).  The signature is the final nail it would seem.

As mentioned in my prior post I have made efforts to garner more information on Bill Fleming, including searches on this site, Everything Dulcimer, checking Dulcimer Players New archives etc. but had not posted a query such as yours. Thus, I am grateful you did post. At least I know Bill was still building in 1972.

As for the buzzing I'd need more information.  I know Bill was into floating bridges and his were made of hardwood and triangular in cross section (see my side view photo).  My action is on the high side and I intend to make a duplicate bridge with a lower profile (rather than mess with the original which I want to keep intact).  I'd guess your bone (or plastic) bridge is a replacement and may have an overly low profile which could, as Ken Hulme suggests set the action too low. Use a nickle as a gauge at seventh fret; it should pass under without putting pressure on the string.  If it buzzes on open strings there are other possibilities, like improperly cut string slots in the bridge (or less likely the nut) or a broken glue bond in a brace or lining inside the body of the dulcimer.  If you get buzzing only when depressing a string or strings a certain frets the problem is a fret that is too high or too low or (less likely) a warped fingerboard.  Most of these issues can be addressed by someone versed in dulcimer "set-up".  Warps and un-bonded bracing  (or lining) requires someone skilled in repair.

As for tuning a four course, five string set up like ours start with D-A-d-dd.  I use D'Addario 5-string banjo stiring sets (23bw-16-12-10,10 gauge, where bw=bronze wound and gauge = x/1,000") you may wish to replace the 12 gauge with another 10 gauge but the slightly heavier gauge does not seem to affect much and makes an alternate D-A-A-dd tuning possible that can be fun to experiment with.  Or the 16 gauge A can be dropped one step to a G (i.e. D-G-d-dd) which yields a "New Ionian" (aka Reverse Ionian) in G. I guess some may use a "1-3-5" tunings which are also reachable with that string set, though perhaps not optimal.  For example D-F#-A-dd which is 1-3-5 in D or D-G-b-dd which I guess you could call a New Ionian 1-3-5 in G. But again, start with D-A-d-dd as this is the closest thing there is to a standard tuning for your 5-string layout, which makes finding chords and tabs a heck of a lot easier.

Got a little long winded here.winky   Hope it helps.

UPDATE: This post has been revised to correct and or clarify information pertaining to tunings.

updated by @jim-hedman: 03/28/18 11:13:24PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,124 posts

It may not be the frets causing the buzzing; could be a combination of the wrong string size(s) and an action set too low.

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
6 years ago
36 posts
Thank you, Jim, for that information! They sure look like they were built by the same guy. Mine does have a signature and date in pencil inside. It's very faint at this point in time. It looks to be initials, but it looks like H. B. Fleming... it's hard to tell. The date is 7-8-72. The sides are abutted at the waist as you describe, and the overlap looks to be 3/32. I do not, however, see any open square inside the scroll piece as you describe. The f holes look exactly like yours. Maybe he just changed his style a little?

I really need to get this instrument to someone who can dress or replace the frets...or figure out how to do it myself! I never play it because it buzzes so badly. It has such incredible volume and tone.

Tell me how you have yours tuned? When I first got mine, I called Mike Clemmer for advice on how to tune it, but I can't remember now what he said, lol.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your information with me! The history of my instruments is important to me. Do you know if Bill Fleming is still alive?

Jennifer
Jim Hedman
Jim Hedman
@jim-hedman
6 years ago
25 posts

Jennifer, this appears to have been made by Bill Fleming who had a shop in Gatlinburg, TN.  I visited his shop in 1970 and had one custom built from a list of several options which included body style (hour-glass and "fiddle-backed" for sure - can't remember if he offered tear-drop or not), tuning keys could be set up as friction keys (like yours), violin pegs or "traditional" hand turned pegs - in hickory as I recall.  He had several options to chose from for sound holes, with upper and lower bouts mix or match.  There was quite a variety of woods to choose from too.

I opted for a fiddle-back (aka fiddle-sided) in walnut with the "traditional" hand turned pegs. It has f-holes in the lower bout and dogwood flowers in the upper bout (his favorite was the dogwood but he usually recommended against it because of the delicate carving - I went with it anyway).  The back is book-matched but not the top (it appears your top is book-matched but not the bottom).

A couple things to look for to confirm the maker:  The top and bottom should be "fiddle-edged", i.e. overlapping the sides by about 3/32".  The ends of the side pieces making up the waist of the body should abut the sides rather than the other way around.  The simple, yet elegant, scroll head is one-piece and not carved through the bottom.  Inside the scroll head should be an open square where it attaches to the body - sort of a hidden sound hole. I believe all of Bill's dulcimers had floating bridges (I think they were generally of the hardwood used in the instrument so your bone bridge may be a replacement).  Lastly look through the near lower bout sound hole with a pen light - you should see a signature and a date in pencil.

I've searched for information on Bill Fleming from time to time but until I came across you post I've come up empty.  Bill Fleming was a contemporary of Bill Davis and there may have been some cross influence one way or the other.  Their "fiddle-backs" are similar but with distinctive differences.  For example, Davis scribed his name on the back of his dulcimers, the overlap on his "fiddle-edges" was greater (about 5/32"), the key pegs were of a slightly different style and the scroll head was flat sided with carving.  Also, the waist side pieces cover the ends of the side pieces (opposite of Fleming's set up).

I'll take some pictures so you can compare the two, but there's little doubt in my mind that you have a Bill Fleming Dulcimer.

UPDATE:  The signature on my dulcimer appears to read "Wm Fleming", i.e. he abbreviated his first name William.  Under the signature is the date "11-5-1970". I've attached some snapshots for the sake of comparison with what you have.

Looking forward to hearing from you and anyone who has some information on Bill Fleming.

updated by @jim-hedman: 03/26/18 07:44:59PM
JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
How wonderful! I'm so glad you got a good one. Replacing the tuning peg shouldn't be too hard...but who needs more than 4 strings, anyway? Lol! Glad I was able to help. Enjoy!
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

This Fleming dulcimer is wonderful! It is missing one mechanical tuning peg--the outer part you turn--but sounds beautiful as a four-string! Definitely glad I got it and thank you for the recommendation that gave me the little push, Jennifer! And guess what--no buzzing! Once I got the bridge set correctly (and the strings, which, holy smokes, I'm not sure what  previous owner was thinking. . .!!!) intonation is excellent and tone is warm even with mostly old strings! Sigh. So lovely!

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

That Fleming ad was from a different Fleming, though (who is also listed in the Directory of Contemporary etc.)!

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

Will do!

marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts
Linda,
I was hoping to find an image of your dulcimer on line but instead found an old add for a Fleming, very old.
I can't seem to attached from my phone but it was a 2011 add for $500. For a 1959 Fleming. Let us know how it turns out
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

I'll let you know! Thanks for all of your help!

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
If you get it, I'd love to hear how it all turns out!
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

How lovely! And good to know that using a capo can make it playable, in the event that mine suffers from the same ailment as yours. I have plenty of dulcimers that need special accommodations to be played :), so perhaps this will be one more of those-- I will ask about the fret buzzing, but I don't think it will be productive since this person doesn't know dulcimers (that's the story, anyway!!).

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Linda, I have a recording here of me playing the fiddleside. The song is "the ash grove". It will give you an idea of the sound. Used a capo, so was able to bypass the buzzing frets, lol.
JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Oh, wow! That's the same builder of mine! It's very well made, mine just has been played so much the frets are worn. Maybe ask about fret buzzing.
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

HA Fleming is in the 

Directory of Contemporary American Musical Instrument Makers

but that doesn't guarantee playability ! ;)

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

The maker is HA Fleming, but I can't hear or play it before buying. It looks great. . .

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Linda, $100 is a fantastic price if it is playable. I bought mine from someone out of state, so wasn't able to try it out first. Will you be able to hear it played/try it before you buy it? Do you know who made it?
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

Jennifer, Thank you for your prompt reply! If this is not too presumptuous to ask, would you say 100.00 was a fair price? That's the cost of the one I'm looking at, but can't play.

updated by @linda2: 07/11/17 10:00:08AM
marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

george,

(ones he personally built were signed by him carving/engraving his name on the back side of the dulcimer,)

Sam Carrell also, I just picked up a Carrell fiddleside dulcimer. He also signs his name on the back

jenniferc, 

I hope you enjoy your fiddleside dulcimer, I have my Sam Carrell '84 fiddleside tuned DAA (only using 4 strings, not the 5th string) and the tone is also so beautiful. 

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Hi Linda,

This particular dulcimer turned out needing the frets redressed, or possibly replaced, which I haven't had done yet. It was made in 1973 of mahogany. It has a beautiful tone with incredible sustain. Eventually, I'll get the frets fixed so it doesn't buzz so badly. It has a 29 inch VSL (vibrating string length), which makes it rather difficult to chord if you have small hands.

Happy dulcimer shopping!
Jennifer
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

How did this dulcimer turn out? I'm thinking of buying one like it. Thanks.

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Thanks, George. Maybe I should send the pictures along to Mr Clemmer and see if he recognizes it, lol.

My sister is going to go pick her up today from the gentleman selling it, and ship it to me. My fingers are very itchy! Lol.
Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

I have never seen a Bill Davis with the upper f holes, and only a couple that were done with heart holes, mine also has just the upper round ones, I'm attaching a couple of pictures of the signature, and the headstock so you can see the Davis looks quite a bit different. My understanding is, and I very well could be wrong on this, is that Davis was the "original" builder of the fiddle side design. 

Looking at the photos you posted, I would still lean towards it being a Clemmer.

IMG_2072.jpg
IMG_2072.jpg  •  135KB

IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg  •  605KB

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
George....28? You've got it bad! I just have the sniffles, you've got double pneumonia, lol.

Thanks for the info on the Davis kits. Do you know for certain he did a style with the f holes at both the top and bottom? The only ones I have seen had round holes at the top, f holes at the bottom.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,124 posts

Good to know about the Bill Davis fiddle shapes and kits;  I stand corrected!

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

As was mentioned about Bill davis, it does look like his style, and he did sell kits, the ones he personally built were signed by him carving/engraving his name on the back side of the dulcimer, kits were not signed. I was fortunate enough to find a Bill Davis sometime back, signed that way but also carvet with the name of the person he built it for.

Otherwise I would also lean towards Mike Clemmer.

Either way a sweet one, I love the five strings, and as far DADisease, I am now up to 28, the dulcimers live in the house, if I add any more I'll be sleeping outside.

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Thank you, John. I think I'll be happy with it either way!

Lol, I've been happy with one dulcimer for 4 years, now I'm afraid I've been afflicted with the dreaded DAD!

I guess it was bound to happen eventually.
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
7 years ago
389 posts

It looks like cherry in these photos, but it could be walnut with reddish lighting when the photos were taken.

Cherry looks deep orange or orange-red, and sometimes has small black "pitch pockets" here and there in the wood.

Walnut usually shows more grain, and can be medium- to chocolate-brown in color.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,084 posts

Jennifer, while I can not be certain, from the photos it does look like cherry. That would be my guess.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Thank you, Ken! All these little tidbits of information are sure interesting.

What type of wood do you suppose this is? Cherry?
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,084 posts

On Saturday at the Pocono Dulcimer Club Winterfest I encountered a similar dulcimer. The shape is the same. The peg head shape is slightly different. The pegs on the one I saw are wood, not mechanical friction tuners as in the photo here. The lower sound holes are identical, but the upper sound holes on the one I saw are round. Another difference is that the one I examined was made of wormy chestnut. There was no label inside. Bill Davis did sell kits but I do not know whether any of them were this style. This shape is also the shape used to make the "Masterpiece" dulcimer in Chet Hines book How to Make and Play the Dulcimore.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Thank you, John. I've arranged to purchase it. Perhaps there will be a label he overlooked. It looks beautiful to me. Hopefully, the sound will be good!
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
7 years ago
389 posts

Bill Davis made kits for this style.  I know, because I helped a lady repair hers.  The head on his was different though-- it had chip carving on the sides of the scroll, and the end was larger.  Too bad there's no label in it.  Chet Hines wrote a book on how to build a "masterpiece dulcimore" like this.

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
More pictures!
FOTE922.JPG.jpg
FOTE922.JPG.jpg  •  87KB

FOT5A5.JPG.jpg
FOT5A5.JPG.jpg  •  160KB

FOT5A5.JPG.jpg
FOT5A5.JPG.jpg  •  160KB

FOTBB6B.JPG.jpg
FOTBB6B.JPG.jpg  •  174KB

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
Thanks so much! I've been wanting a clemmer since I first started playing! And was really hoping this was one!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,124 posts

That's no kit, believe me!  No one I've heard of in 40 years has ever made a kit for the fiddle shape; it's not a simple build.   It's not "vintage", that's for sure, but it might be a dozen years old.  There should be a maker's label visible through (usually) the lower, far side sound hole.  Mike Clemmer is the primary builder of that style, although a few others offer it.  If the seller is only asking $100, snap it up -- tonight!

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
I just want to stay away from kit built dulcimers.
JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
He's only asking a hundred.
JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts
That's what I was thinking, but wouldn't there be some distinguishing marks?
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
7 years ago
389 posts

Jennifer, she's a beaut!  Looks like a Mike Clemmer ("Wood 'N' Strings", Townsend, TN) from here.  If so, snap it up!

Bill Davis from Gatlinburg, TN and Jean Schilling from Cosby, TN popularized that particular style, with its violin shape, its 5 strings and its large size.

JenniferC
JenniferC
@jenniferc
7 years ago
36 posts

Hi all! This is my first post here, but I've been lurking awhile. I came across a used dulcimer for sale and wondering if anyone might recognize its builder? The seller could only tell me "it's vintage", but the price is great and I'm considering getting it. Only the one picture so far, but waiting on more. Thanks for any help!

updated by @jenniferc: 01/17/17 12:45:11PM