wow...it's party time again... REVISITED :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Ken, I gotta say, i always like it when you say "my Lady Sally". Sounds like you surely must be her knight in shining armor!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 years ago
2,126 posts

Well, my Lady Sally is a former Brit from Brighton, so Marmite is her "go to" spread, with Bovril a close second. Much harder to find Vegemite around these parts - you Aussies seem to want to keep it all to yourselves!

Pavlova with ginger and kiwi sound fabulous. I'd use the pink Chinese pickled ginger, if it was me....

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,729 posts

Well I was not online yesterday and missed all the fun. I hope there's some Pavlova left over!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Both Pavlova and fairy bread sound yummy!
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Whoops !!! Should read "containing pieces of chopped stem Ginger and Pinapple"

JH

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Ken is right Robin, it is to be loved , tho' not particularly 'healthy', 68.gif more along the lines of decadent, but one of my favourites never-the-less 15.gif ! For some years now one of our family treats is a varient on the theme, three layers of meringue, separated by and topped with whipped cream containing chopped stem ginger, decorated with sliced Kiwi; and served with pouring cream ! Yes, a killer of a dessert, but worth a try once in a blue moon ! (I like to save some for 'the next day', when the meringue has gone a bit soggy!)

John

Incidentally, its named in honour of the ballerina ! 26.gif

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 years ago
2,126 posts

Robin -- You'll love Pavlova - it's a fruit topped baked meringue filled with real whipped cream and topped with various fruits or berries.

Fairy Bread is white bread spread with sweet butter and topped with copious amounts of colored sprinkles.

Helen, I'll bring Marmite Soldiers and ANZAC Biscuits!!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Geekling said:

Well said, JH! And I would also say, congratulations to all the other 4999 members for putting the friend in Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer !

I second that for sure, Geekling!Wouldn't be much of a place without all the friends here.

And thank you everyone for your very nice words. They mean a lot to me.

--
Site Owner

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
10 years ago
231 posts

Congratulations FOTMD and Congratulations Lisa!!! This is a great site and 4,999 other people believe that as well!!! Thanks for all you doSmile.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Helen, though I know not what Pavlova nor fairy bread is, I'll have some of each! :)
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

5,000!!!! Hard to believe it! Great job Lisa, et al, for this wonderful web community.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts

Trouble is, I'm very fast on your toes, errr, feet, too! :D

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Okay, Carrie, put on your steel- toed shoes and let's go! :)

Carrie Barnes said:

Dosey Doe69.gif there Robin, LOL! And Congrats FOTMD and Hallie!36.gif What a great milestone!113.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Hey, I grew up going to a "no dancing" church so can't dance worth a darn. It's a special occasion, though-- anybody want to be my partner? :DYay, FOTMD!
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
10 years ago
85 posts

5000 members, who'd thunk it. What you've done her Lisa is amazing. Congrats to Hallie and to you Lisa...Well done.

--
Site Moderator
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Congrats to Hallie, to all those who I am sure will make her joining of this site a worthwhile experience, but most of all to Strumelia, for making it all possible ! 41.gif 41.gif 41.gif

JohnH

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
10 years ago
182 posts

We gots dancin' hillbillies! Congrats to Lisa and FOTMD! Grin.gif

Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
10 years ago
14 posts

Wowsers! Congratulations Lisa and all the folks that make this site so helpful and friendly. You're an inspiration!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

...and CONGRATULATIONS to Hallie for being FOTMD's 5000th member !!!!

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

--
Site Owner

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Awwwwww, c'mon! you two next potential new members that are playing the waiting game to see who'll chicken out first. Make a move, we'll still love and welcome you even if you are member 4999 ! The suspense ain't good for my ole ticker !!!

JohnH

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
10 years ago
85 posts

Got he party hats, ready...Wooo-Hooo!

--
Site Moderator
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Probably today! Can't wait to see that number!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Gonna happen soon! :)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Only two members to go to hit 5000....

--
Site Owner

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
10 years ago
231 posts

That gelatin ended up in that blue and yellow can along with some solid stuff as yet to be identified.And you pick on me for not liking Spam?Grin.gif

John Henry said:

That brings back memories Maryann ! In 1940's wartime UK meat was rationed, but not offal !,which was also cheap compared to 'proper meat'. My mother who had been a country girl in her youth, was a devotee of things such as tripe, chittlings, ect, and I well recollect the smell of pigs head (for brawn) and pigs trotters being cooked ,with the result,as you say, vast amounts of gelatine !!! I hate Pork pie for precisely that, ie, always a thickness of the stuff between the pie crust and the meat.

JohnH

Steph! A tempting thought, but I would not want to be responsible for putting you back in a hospital bed 68.gif

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Memory in the heart is good Strumelia, for me more than most perhaps, I received his book of tab just about the time he left us, while I was in hospital for a heart procedure. One of the reasons I conjured up a tune for him ! And yes, he would be happy, beaming whilst he tossed that 'Deputy Mo silver bullet' from hand to hand !

John

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

That brings back memories Maryann ! In 1940's wartime UK meat was rationed, but not offal !,which was also cheap compared to 'proper meat'. My mother who had been a country girl in her youth, was a devotee of things such as tripe, chittlings, ect, and I well recollect the smell of pigs head (for brawn) and pigs trotters being cooked ,with the result,as you say, vast amounts of gelatine !!! I hate Pork pie for precisely that, ie, always a thickness of the stuff between the pie crust and the meat.

JohnH

Steph! A tempting thought, but I would not want to be responsible for putting you back in a hospital bed 68.gif

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

I'm sure that whether Rod is an actual angel looking down, or simply a memory in our hearts, either way he is right here with us and beaming happily.

--
Site Owner

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
10 years ago
59 posts

And this thread reminds me of Rod. We only ever met online but I miss him.

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
10 years ago
59 posts

That doesn't look any worse than head cheese ... Grin.gif

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,729 posts

Sorry, it's "green eggs and ham" not "green eggs and spam." Dr. Seuss would never advocate canned meat.

Robin Thompson said:

Patty, you can always have diced Sp*m in an omelette-- lots of eggs with little of the canned meat product. :) I'd eat it to get one of John's VA style dulcimers!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

30.gif

Robin Thompson said:

Cider and cheese, please, John!

That picture Lisa posted is some marvel of engineering in the world of hair styling. :)

John Henry said:

Robin ! I note your 'green eggs' ( every day I learn anew ! Yesterday it was 'Cornish Chicken'! In Texas ???) I will bring what I did for an earlier 'do', Zummerset Cyder and b*** 'ole (Cheddar Cheese), gurt lush that be!

John

I could bring S..m, a first time for everything ?

30.gif b*** = B.U.N.G. ??? 106.gif Bung hole,(a filler?) common expression where I grew up

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts

Cider and cheese, please, John!

That picture Lisa posted is some marvel of engineering in the world of hair styling. :)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Patty, you can always have diced Sp*m in an omelette-- lots of eggs with little of the canned meat product. :) I'd eat it to get one of John's VA style dulcimers!The big doings at FOTMD this year will be for the 5- year anniversary of the site! Though I can't promise pony rides for all the kids, it will be a special occasion. :)

Patty from Virginia said:

Robin, I want one of those too. May be willing to eat a disgusting canned meat (supposedly) product to get oneGrin.gif Is there going to be a special event when 5,000 members are reached?Smile.gif

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Mary just wandered in, took one look at the screen, and said "we had one of those machines in the shop" I tell you, Father William ain't got nothing on us two, lol!

JohnH

Strumelia said:

I'm having my hair done specially, by 'Mr.Vincent'...

wregqwegqwegewqgewge.jpg?width=500

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Robin ! I note your 'green eggs' ( every day I learn anew ! Yesterday it was 'Cornish Chicken'! In Texas ???) I will bring what I did for an earlier 'do', Zummerset Cyder and bung 'ole (Cheddar Cheese), gurt lush that be!

John

I could bring S..m, a first time for everything ?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

I'm having my hair done specially, by 'Mr.Vincent'...

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Patty from Virginia said:

Is there going to be a special event when 5,000 members are reached?

Patty I'm afraid this is it!

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

+1 !

Robin Thompson said:

John,
I'd rather have one of your builds to play at the party than an original Thomas! One of your sweet Virginia beauties. . .

--
Site Owner

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
10 years ago
231 posts

Robin, I want one of those too. May be willing to eat a disgusting canned meat (supposedly) product to get oneGrin.gif Is there going to be a special event when 5,000 members are reached?Smile.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
John,I'd rather have one of your builds to play at the party than an original Thomas! One of your sweet Virginia beauties. . .
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Dang it, Dusty, that's not the point, I wanted to see if I could hit the 5000 ! Just think of the excitment in trying to get it 'just right' (a bit like trying to get a very cheap, original 'Thomas', on Ebay !!!)

best wishes

John

(what is it they about 'Great mind's .................?)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
I'll bring green eggs and ham to the party! :)
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,729 posts

John, we must have been posting at the exact same time! You need not join again. You are a super member and already count as 4 or 5 regular members.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,729 posts

We are now six new members away from 5000! Who woudda thunk it? Perhaps we'll hit our milestone on St. Patrick's Day. Look! There's a leprechaun practicing the jig he's going to dance to welcome our 500th member!

52_forums.png?width=100

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Just 6away from 5000 ! Can I join again............?

JohnH

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

I agree whole heartedly Robin, and add the thought that by and large, the members here are 'Top Drawer'41.gif ! The site is almost 100% consistent in its welcoming and encouraging nature, andits apparently endless flow of both information and constructive comment !

JohnH

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
In my eyes, FOTMD sparked a real revival in noter and drone style dulcimer play. Though it's true the style never died- out, this site has given great exposure to the use of noter play. For that, I will always be grateful to you, Strumelia, and to the many on this site who serve (sometimes unknowingly) as my teachers.

Strumelia said:

Thank you all for the very sweet comments of appreciation. It's quite nice. Smile.gif

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Thank you all for the very sweet comments of appreciation. It's quite nice.

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Benjamin, I like that you took it off the wall and played it. I bet he was impressed!

--
Site Owner

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
10 years ago
64 posts

Speaking of hanging on the wall, I know one at an establishment that I frequent from time to time that has one hanging on the wall. The guy is a guitar player and I think someone gave it to him. For a long time I would go to pay my tab and just strum across the strings with it on the wall. Then a few visits ago, I got brave, took it down from the wall and played it. He didn't mind. It's an eatery, so there is some grime that has settled onto the dulcimer, but it still sounds nice...needs to be cleaned up and played.Smile.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Perfect! Did you make the aspic then let it grow its own icing? I simply MUST have your recipe! ;)

Rob, fill- in the blank: Strumelia's MacArthur Park Mold looks good enough to _______. :)

Strumelia said:

Thanks Robin! I'm calling my new original aspic recipe "MacArthur Park Mold" . lololol....

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Rob, it only melts if you leave it out in the rain.

--
Site Owner

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

LOL, Lisa, does it melt in the dark? Or is it just the sweet green "icing?"

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Thanks Robin! I'm calling my new original aspic recipe "MacArthur Park Mold". lololol....

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
Strumelia, there aren't enough superlatives to describe the new aspic recipe you're working on! Don't change a thing! It looks positively, well, I'm speechless. . . LOL!

7 mountain dulcimers on the premises now. 1 dulcimer is on "permanent" loan to my nephew (his to keep as long as he wants it) and 1 other is on loan to my cousin. So, I own 9.PS- RIP, Rod Westerfield. He was Lisa's right hand man here at FOTMD and was welcoming to all.<3
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

I'm perfecting a brand new aspic recipe for the 5000 member party... mmmmm....

--
Site Owner

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Well, Lisa, I was counting a little on the high side, but I'll bet it's not too far off.

Yes, you sweet, demure, modest little things with your one or two are offset by some of us with a bunch (for now.) LOL

Rob

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

John Henry, yes I assume your 'mountain dew' guard status is secure- I think it's a lifetime assignment. Just don't fall off your bicycle:

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Wow, I can't really believe the average is 10 mtn dulcimers per member. It's probably just the most verbose members who have tons of dulcimers. Quiet modest folk like me have only one or two.

--
Site Owner

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Even tho' I've sold one, I know have at least 20 still. If the average is 10 then that's 50,000 dulcimers floating around out there. And how many more are in closets or hanging on walls that need to be played and have the sweet sound flowing out from them.

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Ben ! I did'nt think of including HD's (ain't got enough fingers and toes !!!)

John

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
10 years ago
64 posts

No idea, but I own 9 mountain dulcimers, plus 1 hammered dulcimer.Grin.gif

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Just a very idle thought, which has bugged me on more than one occasion ! How many dulcimers does 5000 members constitute ? I have in excess of ten 9.gif so does my son, Geoff Black, John Shaw and Robin Clark! 50 , at least ? , from just a few UK members! And there are , I am sure, other UK/European members who own more than one? And I can't begin to imagine how many our US members collectively own? Any guesses for a total ????????????????

JohnH

Lisa, should we have a party, can you bear in mind that I made Rod a solemn promise that I would give the 'Dew' the attention it deserved, hic ! Can I assume my 'guard status' is safe ? Hic,18.gif heave ho me hearties 28.gif

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
10 years ago
64 posts

Yay! 5000...are there really that many people who play and listen to the dulcimer? Beware! We are taking over...we'll blast you out!

Smile.gif Smile.gif Smile.gif Smile.gif Smile.gif

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

5,000 members. Hard to believe even in this world-wide internet "society." Lisa, we appreciate you and thank you, Darlin', for giving us this community!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,729 posts

Wow, dulcimer players must be reproducing like rabbits!

And I think it's appropriate to resurrect this old thread about getting 500 members in which Rod figured so prominently as we reconfigure things for a membership 10 times that level!

Many thanks to Lisa for her vision and continued leadership here and to all the members who share their knowledge and joy of music in such a friendly manner. As I approach the fifth anniversary of the purchase of my first dulcimer, I wonder if I would still be playing without the advice and encouragement from everyone here. Heartfelt thanks to all.8.gif

5,000 strong! Let's celebrate!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
We're on the countdown to how many members now? Would that be 5,000? :) Yay, FOTMD!
Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
14 years ago
28 posts
Are we talking about REAL mountain dew here, or the sweet sugary stuff you buy in the store?The soda pop you don't have to guard on my account. As far as that goes, you can also leave out the seafood items. Wouldn't touch any of it.A good Strumelia bread (oh boy those look good) for sandwiches and some chili and contra dance on a cold night sounds great.Michael
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,255 posts
John Henry said:
Contra Dance! I,d love to only Rod has already said that whatever, I,m detailed to sit and guard the Dew , needed someone he could trust,you see.................knew that I would'nt touch it.
Now wait a minute!..... so where is Rod gonna be while you are stuck 'guarding the dew'?(and hey you don't have worry about ME trying to steal any of that stuff, for sure!) LOL! =:-S

--
Site Owner

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Contra Dance! I,d love to only Rod has already said that whatever, I,m detailed to sit and guard the Dew , needed someone he could trust,you see.................knew that I would'nt touch it. Strumelia said:
How about if instead of a snowshoe, we do a contra dance? Heck, we have plenty of musicians. We gotta work off a few of these calories somehow !
 / 2