Sewers?

Lulu
Lulu
@lulu
4 years ago
2 posts

I guess like many do lately, I have been sewing some 2 or 3 layer cotton masks for myself and my friends. @Terry-Wilson I'm real glad I have a simple sewing machine at home!  Also now we don't shop for as many clothes so doing home repairs on the clothes we have is a good thing.  :)

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

I got a sewing machine to make bags for my dulcimers. Found that pant legs from old blue jeans make great gig bags. Robert...

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

I love your enthusiasm ("But oh my gosh, I bet it would be fun.") and it sounds like you've got a lot of great ideas and ways to be really creative with this--plus a really nice machine!

I started sewing at a very early age (made my first dress at age 6) and have found sewing projects to be more frustrating than fun.  I love the creativity and the planning stages--and buying the supplies--but things fail in the execution. 

I love the idea of culling materials from thrift shops, Goodwill, etc.  There are things I have kept because I could use the material from it to make something...but it seems like those projects never get done.  You can also get upholstery scraps from places that remake furniture as well as places that make upholstered seats, etc., for RV's and boats.

You may also want to think about making music stands.

I know some people like pick bags to be small, but I like one that is about 5 x 8 so I can also have room for tuners and capos and extra strings--and the string winder!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

This is awesome!  ~I cannot sew a lick~  Love that this was about sewing and not where human waste goes....  poo blush

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Hi Lisa

Good ideas there.  Thanks.

I am a duct tape kind of guy.  Use it very often.

Terry

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Duct tape! Laugh   http://bonggamom.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-to-make-recorder-case-from-duck-tape.html

A resale shop is a good place to find items made from faux leather (and real leather too).  You can cut up an old coat or handbag and make several flute cases.  Quilted bedspreads and heavy draperies might make nice bags.

Don't forget us dulcimer players!  We need small bags to keep picks, noters, spare strings and such.  If you want to make drawstring fabric bags, this is a good technique although it seems fiddly and of course Martha makes it seem even fiddlier than it really is! 

For a zippered pouch: http://mellysews.com/2015/02/sew-zipper-pouch.html

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

I've only made one PVC "flute" -- in the style of a Mirliton or Onion flute -- a relative of the kazoo.  I've made any number of other things from PVC -- bows, quiver, potato gun,  bending jigs, atlatls and darts, etc.   I think 2" PVC would make a nice flute case...

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Hi Ken

Interesting site you have there.  I'll be checking it out.

I am not crazy about flutes made of PVC.  I gave up on the one I have, as my mouth would break out in a rash every time I tried to play it.  Too bad.  I did build a wooden mouthpiece.   Helped some.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

You know of course there are flute bags, and there are Flute Bags.  Simple cloth bags to protect a flute inside that decorated PVC tube, and 'gaudy' bags for carrying flutes without a hard case. 

Those PVC Tubes can be decorated in many ways.  For a look at some, check out the Google+ site called PVC Archery and Crafting, where I'm a Moderator:   https://plus.google.com/communities/115443350092709812365?partnerid=gplp0     There are a variety of wood tones, dyes, dips, and painting techniques that can make a flute tube look absolutely amazing.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Yup, that works............what I did with some of my Bansuri and NAF, was take the fabric,edge it and make a pocket on the front, roll the flute in it and tie with ribbon, I keep 4 or 5 Bansuri in a 4 inch PVC pipe.....if you are traveling to flea markets, fairs or whatever..the PVC pipe that is 4 inch is pretty hefty and will not let the flutes be damaged.   Two rubber fernco's without the bands seal then inside nicely.  Check out on of the big box home stores like Home Depot and don't forget there is also light weight pipe in the electrical section too that is used for conduit.

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Already doing that Sheryl.  Love Michaels and Joann's.

Salt Springs,  thanks for the great idea.  I think I would use the PVC pipe to protect the flute, and stuff a flute bag inside.  I'm just pondering SP.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 years ago
259 posts

Oh, those kind of sewers! blush  Sewing is therapeutic, and it allows your creativity to show. Just think of the cloth possibilities. You'll be searching for coupons for Joanne's and hanging out in the fabric isles!

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Terry................another option is to use pvc pipe with rubber end caps or pvc caps on on one end and rubber on the other......there are a number of types of pipe available of various diameters as well.  A plus is that pvc an be painted, decorated or have polished stone or arrow heads glued on them.   It can be drilled for moisture control too.

I also found that cheap flannel blankets with native designs can be bought on line at places like Crazy Crow trading etc., and if you are really creative you can cover the pipe with a native design fleece etc.  Have fun!

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Hey Folks,

Any sewing machine sewers out there?  Just curious.  I am three weeks into my sewing career.  I have a Brother CS6000i, and I love it.

Here is my story:  Recently I got into Native American Flutes.  I have ordered three so far, and none were shipped with a flute bag.  I could have purchased a bag from each seller, but decided their bags cost more than I wanted to pay.  So I says to myself, "why not make your own flute bags".  

So I purchased a machine and have made 5 flute bags so far, out of imitation leather.  Hemmed three pairs of jeans and made a denim tote bag for a cancer patient. 

Now I am thinking about purchasing a few flutes wholesale and selling them at Indian and Frontier festivals.  I figure if one buys one of my flutes, I'll give them the bag of their choice.  My plans would also be to make and sell tote bags of different sort.  I wouldn't be doing this just for the money, 'cause after I did the math, there's just not much money to be made (maybe).  But oh my gosh, I bet it would be fun.

The main reason I decided to post this topic, is the possibility of obtaining some ideas.  

By by,

Terry

updated by @terry-wilson: 02/19/20 11:37:12AM