John E. Wood 1930-2015

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
8 years ago
60 posts

I am very sorry to hear of John's death.  When my wife Angela and myself were making our first visit to the USA (from the UK) in 2005, we met John at the JP Fraley Mountain Music Gatherin' in Carter Cave, Kentucky.  He was very friendly and welcoming and keen to talk about all things dulcimer.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,426 posts

marg:

I did not know John but I am very sorry for his passing and for the sadness it brings to his family and friends and his music that will be missed. He posted on his site that one of his favorite songs was -  Whiskey Before Breakfast' 

As someone who was active with FOTMD and it's members, maybe a few of you could post the playing of 'Whiskey Before Breakfast' for John

I like your idea, Marg!  I looked through recordings to see if I have one to post here and I don't. I believe I jammed on Whiskey Before Breakfast with John.  He was a very fine player! 

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

I did not know John but I am very sorry for his passing and for the sadness it brings to his family and friends and his music that will be missed. He posted on his site that one of his favorite songs was -  Whiskey Before Breakfast' 

As someone who was active with FOTMD and it's members, maybe a few of you could post the playing of 'Whiskey Before Breakfast' for John

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,084 posts

I don't know how I missed this a week ago. I, too, met John at the second Wartz gathering. John and I had several conversations about building and dulcimer history. I missed his participation, and now I know why. He was a gracious gentlemen. I cherish the brief time I knew him as a member here and dulcimer enthusiast.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,426 posts

I am saddened to learn of John's passing. (I've missed him here at FOTMD.) It was both privilege and pleasure to meet John in '12 at the gathering from which Tom posted links.  He was a great musician and an even greater gentleman.  

Thank you for letting us know, Jan. 

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
8 years ago
182 posts

I first met John Wood online here at FOTMD and later at the Homer Ledford festival in Kentucky in 2014.  We enjoyed a lengthy visit concerning FOTMD, NFL football, and whatever else we strayed off into.  He was a tremendously wonderful man, and I am greatly saddened to hear of his passing.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 years ago
85 posts

So sorry to hear of John passing. I first met him at the noter drone jam that Tom talked about and when he came to the Wartz Gathering that Rob mentioned.  He was a very kind and giving person. 

--
Site Moderator
Tom McDonald
Tom McDonald
@tom-mcdonald
8 years ago
26 posts

Done, Jan, and thank you for the idea. John came to the noter-drone jam in Ohio in 2012. He happened to live right in the area. He was real pleasure to be around, and a great musical talent too.

I posted two videos with John back then. I hope no one minds if I put links here too.

John's limberjack

Amazing Grace . John in on the right, closest to the camera.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

John came to the 2nd Wartz'n'All Gathering.  It was a pleasure to meet him and have him with us, playing and singing.  I'm sorry he couldn't make it back down for more of them.  He'll be missed.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,253 posts

Thank you Jan for making us aware of John's passing.  John Wood was a volunteer 'greeter' of new members here on FOTMD for several years, making hundreds of new members feel welcome.  I'm glad he was able to enjoy his music and being here with us in this dulcimer community.  He will be missed.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
400 posts

Many of you will remember John Wood who so graciously greeted you when you joined FOTMD.  I just learned that John passed away December 10, 2015 after fighting a long battle with cancer.  John made music a large part of his life and shared that love of music with many by making dulcimers as well as playing them.   He had a great sense of humor and a big heart.  If you would like to read some stories and tributes you can check out this website:

http://www.newcomercincinnati.com/obituary/111279/John-E-Wood

Perhaps, if you knew John either in person or as a member of the FOTMD family, you might want to leave a message with your condolences to the family. 

John's FOTMD member page can be found at  http://fotmd.com/john-e-wood

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM