Carved headstock and end piece.Maker?

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Not a clue of maker.  Nice workmanship.  Interesting design take on the modern, not traditional dulcimer design.  Not having a 6+ fret doesn't make it an older build.  There's a guitar builder guy turned dulcimer maker, on one of the FB groups recently,  who was all upset when I suggested his $800 new-made dulcimers would more likely sell of they included the 6+ fret and did not include French polished finish.  He had no clue what the 6+ fret was -- he'd followed one of the old building booksbooks.

Obviously this instrument is only good for ball-end strings, with those tail pockets.  The tuners are pretty common covered singles still made today.  The head and tail aren't carved, just bandsawed to shape with the edges rounded over.

updated by @ken-hulme: 05/31/20 03:14:03PM
John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
4 years ago
124 posts

Thank you for the new photos. That really is an imaginative but tastefully-done spin on traditional design. The tuners are the same style as were common on Japanese guitars in the mid 70s-early 80s. I'm out of touch with such things these days. I don't know if the same style tuners are still available, or if not, when they went out of production. 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

I love the looks of this instrument and would love to hear how it sounds!  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

I may have to adjust my guess of the age of this instrument as it has no 6 1/2 fret that I can see. If someone were going for a traditional dulcimore, I understand leaving out that fret, but since at least the mid 1970s the 6 1/2 has been basically standard.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

Top and back. 

John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
4 years ago
124 posts

Steven Berger:

Whoever built it did a very nice job!

I agree. It is a little unconventional, but a nicely done piece of work.

It would be nice to see a view of the top.

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

It sounds terrific. I like to learn as much as I can about my instruments! 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

The bottom line, How does it sound?  aloha, irene

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

Thanks!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

I have no idea who made that dulcimer. I doubt that the peg head and tailpiece are carved. It looks like a simple cut with a band saw. From the look of the tuning pegs, it would guess it was made within the last 20 years or so.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

Hah! Good one, Stumelia!

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
4 years ago
143 posts

Whoever built it did a very nice job!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

It's a "PushMi-PullYu" dulcimer.  winky

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

Thanks for introducing, me to yet another person to spend my time and money on!

updated by @gstringer: 05/29/20 06:00:08PM
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
4 years ago
141 posts
After taking a second look, it appears that I mistook the tail end for the peghead. Like John K. states , you can't tell if it's coming or going.

So it looks like I've taken two posts to say "I haven't the foggiest idea."
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

Nope. No marks. But thanks for your input. The string holes are in the tail piece. Ball end strings are anchored and out of sight in the holes. It’s a very nice design!

updated by @gstringer: 05/29/20 05:57:05PM
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
4 years ago
141 posts
I don't recognize the peghead shape, but Kerry Rapp in Myerstown, PA runs the strings through holes in the peghead and attaches them to the tuning peg shafts on the underside of the peghead. It looks like this dulcimer does the same. Rapp sells some dulcimers on Etsy under the name Divergent Lutherie. Is there any kind of identification mark. Rapp's typically have a "DL" stamped in the strum hollow area. However, in all honesty, I haven't a clue as to who made your dulcimer. Probably a one-off by someone unknown.
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

It’s a strange one for sure!

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
385 posts

Is it coming or going?  Never seen the like of it.  Sorry I can't help you!

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
4 years ago
33 posts

Bought this used, without any labels or marks. Is this a one-off or a known style of some luthier?

updated by @gstringer: 05/29/20 01:45:10PM