IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

Being a wood worker, I thought that I'd cut a LITTLE CIRCLE from my sticky sandpaper.  Then I take off the thin paper, fold that little circle of sandpaper on one edge of the pick and that pick NEVER flys away.  aloha, irene

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Hey John!  If I were you, I would cut 2 triangles of sandpaper and connect with a dot of superglue right through the hole!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
8 years ago
124 posts

I'm discovering I have a pick problem as I get older. My skin is dryer than it used to be. I thought a hole in my big triangle pick would help, but it doesn't do the job for me. I'll try some of the other suggestions.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Yah.. I'm 68 and with 40 years of playing have never needed an "additive" either.  Just call me gecko-fingers!

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
8 years ago
155 posts

Thanks for the info, Ken.  I've never needed to use that or and other grip gimmicks.  Even at 70 (as of 8:36 a.m. tomorrow) I have never suffered any sort of hand problems.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

john warren:

i know a guy that puts a little silicon sealant on his picks

My father thought bathtub caulk was the solution for most anything, much in the way some folks think of duct tape. But then, he worked for a company that made the stuff, so I guess it's understandable.  I think I have a case of it in my basement somewhere.....

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

It appears that Gorilla Snot is still available, at least on-line.  Check your local guitar store.

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
8 years ago
155 posts

I seem to remember a similar thread about 7 yrs ago when I first started playing.  A product called "Gorilla Snot" was highly recommended as a remedy for slippery picks.  Is that product still on the market?

Skip
Skip
@skip
8 years ago
359 posts

I haven't tried it but 'sticky putty' may work.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

"Cactus picks" have little prickles built into the mold that they make the picks in.  Those work well, too.

It'll let you know if your grip on the pick is too hard, too!  Drip...drip...drip....  laughlaugh

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Very cool solution!!!

Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
8 years ago
32 posts

I second the sticky pads from http://guitarmoose.com/products  - I put one on each side of the pick.

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Jan Potts:

I also like the Sticky Grip picks...I buy mine from Mike Clemmer.  I can set the pick down on my instrument while I'm attending to passing out music or getting something out of my case, or writing notes on my tab, and it doesn't slide off...many folks find that very impressive!

Yes, I like that feature of the Sticky Grip picks too!

I get mine through Elderly Instruments. They have a huge selection of thicknesses and variations of the GuitarMoose picks.

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

eeeeeEEEEEEEEEEE doggies! Y'all done fixed a problem I didn't know I had ! Once this discussion called my attention to it, I do recall having to reposition my pick quite often. I'll be trying these remedies. Thanks everyone. 

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

There are lots of solutions to this common problem.  One is simply to punch a hole in the pick so that your fingers actually touch each other. You are absolutely right, Kusani, that you don't want to hold the pick too tight.

Personally, I use Dunlop Tortex picks and I find a tiny bit of moisture is all I need on my fingers to get the pick to stick.  It might look gross, but I constantly lick my fingers and then wipe them on my jeans just before grabbing my pick to play a song. tongueout  

I figure if Steph Curry can lick his fingers before hitting a foul shot, I can do so before banging out Napoleon's Retreat.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 05/21/16 02:33:21AM
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

I also like the Sticky Grip picks...I buy mine from Mike Clemmer.  I can set the pick down on my instrument while I'm attending to passing out music or getting something out of my case, or writing notes on my tab, and it doesn't slide off...many folks find that very impressive!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Nice work kusani.  We all do what it takes to make things work for us.  I personally find a bit of roughing up with 60 grit sandpaper gives a more sure grip on my favorite picks.

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
8 years ago
155 posts

I've never had that problem.  I'm lucky I guess.

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

I really like the GuitarMoose Sticky Grip picks.

http://guitarmoose.com/products

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
8 years ago
134 posts

I want to keep control of my pick without gripping it too tight, and not worry about it slipping in my fingers.  I tried the sticky 'monkey stuff' and other substances but just wasn't pleased.  The solution is a pick that doesn't slip, I have total control without having to grip it tightly and don't have any 'greasy stuff' to wipe off my fingers.  Using hollow punches, 220 grit abrasive paper and a 'tiny' drop of super glue, I made two discs for each pick and applied one to each side.

Works beautifully!!!  You can see I am still experimenting with various pick styles. banjo

updated by @kusani: 02/19/20 06:06:28PM