Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Ariane:

I am happy to hear that you have followed my suggestion to contact Martin of the German dulcimer shop in Ludwigsburg. I am looking forward to your sound/film example.

Yes I did. What a wonderful guy. He helped me very good. And he took the time for me so I could make the right decission. 

Dusty Turtle:

Congratulations on your dulcimer purchase.  I hope you know that Martin is also a member here.

And even though I am in the US, when I started playing I also relied on videos by Bing Futch and others.

Think there ar a lot ho teach themselfs this way. I do like way Brett teach. 

tssfulk:

Nice! We need more dulcimer players in Europe. :) Have fun!

Absolute.. Hope more will follow. 

Strumelia:

I'm happy to hear you wound up getting something you like!  We look forward to getting a peek at what you are up to when you can.  Don't worry about not being an expert player- almost no one is anyway, we mostly play for enjoyment.   :)

This is my way to play. Fun only. No musts. I have to many musts on the job and so on. Playing is relaxing for me. Don't mather what and how long. 

I will post a video this weekend i hope. :)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,729 posts

Congratulations on your dulcimer purchase.  I hope you know that Martin is also a member here.

And even though I am in the US, when I started playing I also relied on videos by Bing Futch and others.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
5 years ago
50 posts

I am happy to hear that you have followed my suggestion to contact Martin of the German dulcimer shop in Ludwigsburg. I am looking forward to your sound/film example.

tssfulk
@tssfulk
5 years ago
8 posts

Nice! We need more dulcimer players in Europe. :) Have fun!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,255 posts

I'm happy to hear you wound up getting something you like!  We look forward to getting a peek at what you are up to when you can.  Don't worry about not being an expert player- almost no one is anyway, we mostly play for enjoyment.   :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Hi Guys. Was a long time, but I do find a nice Dulcimer. I bought one in Germany.  http://www.dulcimer-online.de/

I bought this type.  https://www.dulcimershop.de/konzertdulcimer.html

I would thank you all for youre kind help and as you can see. It wasn't for nothing. Now I am teaching myself to play. With the help of Brett Ridgeway and Bing Futch Because They have online lessons. I pay for these lessons on Patreon. Wonderfull website. We don't have that in the Netherlands. 

I will post a little picture and a sound/film example. But don't judge my abillitys. I am a student and learning. :) 

updated by @riksgewijs: 05/20/19 04:20:50PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Hommel, Hummel, or Humle are also names for Dutch and other Western European versions of the American Dulcimer, and are played the same way.  When you google-search you may also want to include "folk instrument".  It's possible you may find a Hommel maker in the Netherlands even.

http://www.essentialvermeer.com/folk_music/hommel.html

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,255 posts

Riksgewijs:

Why are those shops so hard to find? I am pretty good with googling? 

http://www.dulcimers.co.uk/index.html

https://revelsmusic.co.uk/

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 02/14/19 03:31:46PM
Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Strumelia:

Sounds like you play chord style?  If so, best to avoid dulcimers that are specifically designed for noter drone style playing, as someone with big hands playing in chord style might find the fretboard too slender for comfort.

Thank you, I couldn't say this in this way, but that's exactly what I ment. I am Dutch and my Englisch is not my native language. 

Judith:

Agreed re Robin Clark and Bird Rock dulcimers.  In the UK there is also Revels Music to try - mainly second hand dulcimers but some new and all with very detailed descriptions and measurements.

Thank You, gating a peak there also. 

Why are those shops so hard to find? I am pretty good with googling? 

Judith
Judith
@judith
5 years ago
3 posts

Agreed re Robin Clark and Bird Rock dulcimers.  In the UK there is also Revels Music to try - mainly second hand dulcimers but some new and all with very detailed descriptions and measurements.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,255 posts

I second the recommendation for Robin Clark at Bird Rock dulcimers in UK.  He is also a dealer of McSpadden dulcimers, which are certainly long scale enough for bigger hands. with a VSL scale length of 28-29" inches.  The McSpadden fretboard is also plenty wide enough for chord playing.  yes

Sounds like you play chord style?  If so, best to avoid dulcimers that are specifically designed for noter drone style playing, as someone with big hands playing in chord style might find the fretboard too slender for comfort.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 02/13/19 04:58:03PM
Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Hello Benjimer. Many thanks. I got your point  so I will measure whati have now becouse i can see if its different with my cheap duclimer. And thank you for the clear aanswer  

Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
5 years ago
141 posts

If you have relatively large hands, you will want to know the width of the fretboard and the Length from Nut to Bridge (Vibrating String Length).

Width of Fretboard - Both McSpadden and Folkcraft use a fretboard 1 3/8 inches wide, so the space between strings would be similar for both. 

Length from Nut to Bridge - McSpadden has a standard VSL (Vibrating String Length) of 28 1/2 inches.  Folkcraft offers several different VSL, ranging from 25 inches on up, so you can select one with a longer VSL to suit your needs.  

If you have large hands you would probably be better off with a somewhat longer VSL.  Longer dulcimers have the frets spaced a little farther apart, so they are more suited to large hands or long fingers.  

McSpadden offers a shorter model called the "Ginger" model, which has a VSL of 25 inches, I believe.  These are meant for people with small hands, so probably not what you are looking for.

Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Thank you all. 

Did look at the shops and now it's making a choice. I did look at the Mc spadden Dulcimers but now I did see The Folkcraft Dulcimers. Can anyone tell me the difference about them. I mean how the playebillity is. Not so much the quality. 

For example; I have big hands. And think it's nice if the strings are a bit wider. Due to my big hands it nicer to play if the strings are wider than narrower together. 

Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
5 years ago
50 posts
There is a dulcimer shop in Germany - please look into his website under dulcimershop.de
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 years ago
389 posts

I agree with Ken.  Robin Clark should be able to help you, friend.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,090 posts

You might check this website: http://www.dulcimers.co.uk . Robin Clark is a member here. He sells several different brands of dulcimers including McSpadden.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Hi Bob, 

I did check him out. Took a while, because there is no r in the name. :)  Ian Duthie 

Found him on this forum while surging. 

thanks, but he build them private. Hope for another sugestion. Many thanks for this one. 

Bob
Bob
@bob
5 years ago
86 posts

Hi Rik,

Good to see your post and no need to be shy!

There is a fine Mountain Dulcimer builder in England named Ian Duthrie. He posts in Facebook by that name. Not much info about where exactly he is located or contact info like an email address, but if you use Facebook, look him up. His work looks very good.

Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Hello, not everybody know me. I was a little quiet and shy. But I am searching for a good mountain Dulcimer. I play for half a year now. And decided to buy a good build dulcimer. I have got a cheap student model and converted it a little so it sound quite reaseneble. My thoughts are about a Mc spadden or maybe something in the same quality.

But now the problem… I live in the Netherlands. And in my search I can't find a reseller nearby the Netherlands or in the Netherlands. So I searched in the USA but then the shipment is the next problem.

So does anyone know something to go on from where I am now?

With friendly regards,

Rik