Recommendations for best software for splitting PDFs?

jal
@jal
last year
5 posts

Thanks so much for the suggestions, very helpful.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
last year
231 posts

I have used some of the free programs on line with good results. I have to do that so seldom relearning every time slows me down a bit.

jost
@jost
last year
76 posts

In the office at my employer we have a a license of pdf xchange editor: 
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Most of it's features even works in the free version, otherwise you might need to buy a license. 

The nice thing is that, once licenced, you are free to use it as long as you like, no subscription costs like with Adobe. I'm quite sure splitting pages should work with the free version though.

Another nice thing is that it works with Linux too with the help of the wine emulator. 

Although Linux has it's own tools for such jobs (e.G. pdftk, okular just to name two) I tend to use pdf xchange since I'm used to its ways (I use Linux on my home pc and Windows on the job).

Best regards, Jost.

Skip
Skip
@skip
last year
359 posts

I use PDFSam Basic it's open source [free]. Be aware that you will need to go back and merge any multiple page tunes.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,248 posts

Another crude workaround way of doing this is to make many copies of the pdf and name each for a different included tune. Then open each one and delete the pages of all but the desired tune page, then save.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 01/03/23 11:23:00AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,720 posts

Adobe now offers something online called Adobe Express .  I believe it is free.  It is basically a scaled-down version of the full Adobe Creative Cloud, so it includes the ability to create and edit pdf files.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Wally Venable
Wally Venable
@wally-venable
last year
59 posts

In Windows, with many .PDF files you can Right-Click on a page, turning it blue. Then select Copy Image. You then go to your favorite graphics program and use Paste As New Image, then save the song as a page image. This assumes that the pages are, in fact, images, it won't work with straight text.

Drag-&-Drop would probably work, too, but I haven't tried it. You might Drag-&Drop into a Word file and save as .PDF, but I haven't tried that either.

The technique probably also works in other operating systems.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

30+ years as a science and technical writer creating documents large and small!

jal
@jal
2 years ago
5 posts

Thanks for the input, sounds like the voice of experience.

I did not realize when purchased, that these 'books' are one large PDF, so sorting that out now. Looks like Adobe it is. LOL. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

Adobe Acrobat is, of course, the quintessential PDF manipulation software.  You can get a free trial version of Acrobat Standard, which may be all you need to disassemble and reassemble several large PDFs.  Or You can buy it for $12.99 per month and cancel within 14 days for a full refund.

Back in 2004 I set the then world record for creating a single large file -- 1.3 terabyte!  A project recording all of the re-fit upgrades to the vessel and its science and technical suite of a Missile Range Control ship called the KRS Worthy based on Kwajalein Atoll.

glacier
@glacier
2 years ago
2 posts

If I understand correctly, you already have large PDFs of your books and are just wanting to split them into individual song files?

If that's the case, and you're on a Mac- the built in Preview program works just fine. Put the pdf into "thumbnail" view, and then just drag the individual pages onto the desktop (or for multi-page scores, you can drag page 2 and up onto the thumbnail sidebar of your page 1- hope I'm making sense). I don't know PC programs, but surely someone here would.

jal
@jal
2 years ago
5 posts

Good afternoon and Happy Holidays!

I am looking for recommendations for the best software for splitting PDFs, I am tired of lugging these books around. Someone recommended a specific software, costs $15, but I can't recall the name.

TIA for any and all suggestions!

JAL

'Have fun everyday...'