Got a mando, what now?? Doin' the happy dance!!

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

New mando vid LOL

Been wanting to mess around with the mando lately.

Macy Jayne
Macy Jayne
@wendy-coons-karrasch
12 years ago
24 posts

Lol, in Newfoundland they called them ugly sticksGrin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Hey that's pretty neat. I'll just look around and see if I can find some better pictures of them. My husband is a pretty handy guy and I'm sure he could build me one. I'd like something with a mini-washboard on it too me thinksGrin.gif .

If you ever get interested in learning clawhammer banjo, let me know and I can help.

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Aha - that Boomba looks pretty cool actually !Grin.gif Where would someone get one of those????

The banjammer - I see. I'm betting you could learn to play the banjo though tooGrin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Thanks Sue and Macy !Grin.gif

Jennifer - Hahaha, a full house of instruments!! LOVE IT. Everyone normally has at least one room in their house that gets drastically less use than others anyway right? So why not fill that room up with instruments. Not sure what a Boomba is, but i bet it's cool. Do you mean a banjo when you say banjammer? I think families that play together stay together, that's my philosophy anyway. I've yet to explore the fiddle though. Grin.gif

Macy Jayne
Macy Jayne
@wendy-coons-karrasch
12 years ago
24 posts

Yay, you got a mandolin! You're a natural Mandy!Grin.gif

Sue Simms
Sue Simms
@sue-simms
12 years ago
29 posts

Girl this is amazing ! Love itSmile.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

LOLGrin.gif

Ken Hulme said:

Mando Mandy and the Goat Ropers -- now there's a name for a CW/Folk/OldeTyme band!

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Ummm actually I already have a country middle name, so no need to do any changin'. It's better than Lynn even. It's Luanne (Lou Ann), so there you go. 3.gif This girl is already country to the core. And I never wear shoes unless I have to (that's no joke).

Thanks for watching!

Strumelia said:

Mandy you sound like a total natural on that mando. Very impressive!

...are you going to change your name to Mandy Lynn now? 3.gif

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,124 posts

Mando Mandy and the Goat Ropers -- now there's a name for a CW/Folk/OldeTyme band!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,252 posts

Mandy you sound like a total natural on that mando. Very impressive!

...are you going to change your name to Mandy Lynn now?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Thank you!

RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
12 years ago
41 posts

the other instrument of interest cool Mandy!Grin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Thanks for watching! Making music is just so fun. Even a simple little tune makes me smile. Grin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Thanks Patty, yep $40 - well actually it came with a guitar too for a total of $80 with free shipping. Grin.gif

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
12 years ago
231 posts

Mandy, great video!!! I love Old Joe Clark. That's a pretty mandolin. You only paid $40 for it? Wow!

Thanks for sharingSmile.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Haha , thanks Sue!Grin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Here's the vid - fun little thing to play!

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Haha Susie! Maybe I will work up to that many someday. We have a bunch already-

1. Washburn guitar (hubbys grandma gave it to him, it never gets played but it counts)

2. Martin guitar (gift to hubby from father)

3. Blueridge guitar (my guitar I got this year)

4. Gold Tone Banjo (my baby)

5. Dulcimer

6. uke (for my daughter)

7. Oil can banjo (hubby made, 5 string)

8. Cigar Box guitar (hubby made, 4 string)

9. Harmonica (never gets touched)

10. 3 "D" tin whistles

11. Egg Shaker with handle (not sure what it's called but it's cool and I've been using it in some of our group songs when the banjo isn't needed)

12. NEW Beater guitar

13. NEW Beater mando

Hmmm, guess that's it. Maybe something else lying around here that I forgot about too. Grin.gif

Hopefully someday I'll get that upright bass too - that's for looks too because it's so beautiful.

I gotta say this little $40 mando is sweet sounding. The action is pretty good, the frets feel nice, and I'm just shocked at how decent it is for such a cheapo.

That's so cool your hubby made you a cabinet. So I take it he doesn't play anything? My hubby has basically just let his beautiful Martin collect dust until I started a weekly jam session here at the house. Now he's right in the thick of things and it has really rekindled his desire to play and sing. Grin.gif Grin.gif

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

Mandy, congrats. I play many different instruments too. Since you'll have a mandolin, you'll have to get a fiddle...they are tuned the same. Only the fiddle doesn't have frets. I'm learning on my grandpa's fiddle and got a mandolin to help with learning the notes. It took off from there. I enjoy sitting down with the mandolin and picking out fiddle tunes. Working on speed now. It has helped me with the fiddle. I've got 15 instruments now and have told my husband I'm done. He is VERY supportive...he's bought me several instruments as surprises. My latest gift...a new tenor uke which is awesome. Oh, counting my whistle and recorder...I have 17. My husband even buit me an oak cabinet for my instruments. He's such a great guy.

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Well my cache of musical instruments is growing! Today the UPS man will deliver a shiny new mando and I'm totally psyched about it. Grin.gif

It all started last week when my hubby was sayin' he's really wanting a beater guitar to take and leave at work so he can play at lunch. So we started looking around online(been looking at music shops locally for awhile, but nothing has fit the bill). Came across a real cheapo one that gets really great reviews. Kind of hard to believe for the price, but for just a bit more you can get a mando too. So naturally I saw that and my brain was like "hey here's a chance to try out another instrument". So I said let's get both so we can beat around on both of them. I actually had a mando for a few months in 2005, so it's not completely new, but i had no clue what to do with the thing and it was gone quick.

So we bought them and it's gonna be here today! Now I know what you're thinking. Mandy, gheesh just get real good at one before you go jumping around all over the place. LOL. But I dunno it's weird. Most people get the dulcimer, or banjo, or guitar syndrome where they want a million of one instrument. Like - Dana for instance (3.gif ) we all know she has like 20 dulcimers. Haha. Well for me it's just that I want every possible instrument I can get my hands on. Strange I know. But really I still want a stand up bass, a fiddle, and basically anything I can get. But I'll be honest, the fiddle scares me (haha).

So I'm gonna pull that baby out once it arrives and tune her up and go to town! After I youtube some chords that is, hahah.

Anyone wanna throw out any tips or advice it's all welcome.

My only problem with all this is that I'm not independently wealthy so I'm going to have to go back to work and won't be able to play constantly anymore! That's gonna be a sad musical day IMO, but at least a job will afford us the cashola to acquire more wonderful instruments. Catch 22 there I guess. Hahah.

updated by @mandy: 03/16/21 09:36:10PM