Please share pics of your homemade dulcimer bags and cases

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Thanks, Ken, for the ideas. Not a woodworker, me. Think I'll trace the outline of the dulcimer and have a look in second hand stores for some of those instrument cases you suggested...BTW, what is a 4/4 fiddle?

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Gun case.  Archer's bow case. Musical instrument cases - trombone, 4/4 fiddle, etc.   Some electric keyboards have hard cases.  There are hardsided golf transport cases too.  It all depends on how mych you want to spend.  If you are, or know a reasonable woodworker, making a simple box case is pretty easy and pretty inexpensive.

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Needing a hard case so I can humidify my 37" dulcimer Any ideas? 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

THANK Y'ALL!  Our church retreat starts tonight, and then I will work on a sound clip!  ~still SO HAPPY~  :)

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Hugs; beautiful bag you have made. So happy you have your little dulci, enjoy!

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

OH MY MY MY....such a DARLING case for a DARLING dulcimer.  I'd love to hear her played...BY YOU.  On the airplane, they would think that was a long purse.  oh too cute to the MAX.  aloha, irene

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

HA!  ~love how I pictured the dulcimer upside down~  LOL!  That's how I put it in the bag so that the tuners are at the top.  *THANK Y'ALL!*  I am SO HAPPY!!!!!

Jennifer, I know that there were more Wrens being made for etsy, but they found new homes before they made it.  *I think* I read on the fb page that there was on bigger one (Sparrow) that was available....

Vlillik, I love the dress material!  ~we make cloth napkins out of all our old dressy things~  :)  I agree that dulcimer people are the very nicest on the whole planet!!!!!

updated by @hugssandi: 09/22/16 04:03:46PM
Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

It's a beautiful dulcimer 😀 gorgeous shape! And now it has a lively protective bag, good work!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Here is a pic of my completed bag and my beautiful Feather Dulcimer (a Wren) that I named Teagan.  It means "little poet".  Pictures could never do the artistry and craftmanship justice~she is the prettiest little thing I think I've ever seen!!!  

DSC00323.JPG.jpg
DSC00323.JPG.jpg  •  161KB

DSC00327.JPG.jpg
DSC00327.JPG.jpg  •  2.4MB

Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

Hugssandi I can hear how thrilled you were yesterday, it's such a wonderful instrument! I've never come across such lovely people it seems to bring together :)

Jan-potts thank you! (Very quietly: the material used to be a summer dress. Can't throw some material away!)

xx

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
400 posts

Yep, can see your pics just fine!  One of the prettiest bags I've ever seen!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Thank you, Vlillik!  My Wren came today, and it is so amazing that I cried when I saw it!  OH I was too busy to enjoy it today, and that was a stinker!!!  LOL!  I also finished my bag (save a button) during my son's PT appointment and at church this evening (SSHHH!  Don't tell!).  The lining is two layers of fleece.  Will try to get some pics tomorrow.  :) 

I was thinking your straps would go all the way around...  Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

Hugssandi you sound very busy, I remember the days of storytelling! What a lovely time! My two are now 19 and 21 years old!

I'm hoping you find time to finish your work so it's ready for your Wren. I'd have as much padding as possible for it.

Ken-hulme thanks for the Velcro idea - I was thinking about using it yesterday but was worried it could rip off the material from the padding. Although I could do a strip/band of such webbing and just have Velcro at those ends and have about 4 of them strategically placed along the rectangle.  So then to carrying straps, which I think may only be done once the safe retention of MD is achieved. 

Thank you so much for your positive and uplifting responses x

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Vlillik -- Velcro (tm)  is your friend.  You can use several strips for "latches" to close that case, and even use it to hold a strap on as long as the pull is "around a corner".

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Vlillik, I did not expect the square shape and love it!  Beautiful fabric and my favorite green.  :)  ~genius idea~

So last night I realized my liner is longer than what I've crocheted, meaning I could leave it and draw string over it so that it sticks out, or I could cut it down and restitch just a little bit.  Not sure how I will proceed!  I have not crocheted on it more but might be able to while sitting through the kids' storytelling today.  My Wren dulcimer is on its way, so I need to get a movin'!  SO EXCITED!  ~will share pics of both~

Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

Hi, hope you're crocheting has gone well today?

I've finished my bag but need to work out the best way to pop straps on and a way of stopping my dulcimer from falling out! 🤔

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  219KB

Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

How exciting :)

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

I cannot wait to see that M.D. case!!!  I finally sewed the inner lining to mine today, but I have not attached it and will also need to crochet a strap and drawstring top....

Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

More piccies to add tomorrow as I'm finally making my M.D case from an exercise mat and covering it with material!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Thanks Paula.  Building a simple box like this isn't "rocket surgery".  It just takes a little time, some patience and a couple simple tools (saw, glue, sandpaper).

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

Ken Hulme:

Here are pix of my poplar Possum Box case.  It's a tight fit inside, purposely, so I wouldn't have to add padding.  Made from 1/4" poplar with a 1/4" square rail that the lid rests on.  The handle strap is buckled on the underside. 

That is a nice looking case!   And you don't have to worry about your dulcimer getting damaged...  If I were a woodworker I would surely make one!

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Thanks, Sandi and Sheryl. I love it,too!

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 years ago
259 posts

Annie, Love the bag! It's beautiful. 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Monica, that's amazing work!  Marg, GENIUS idea and still totally worthy of this thread!

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Kyodan Yago Mat Bag - I just happen to see it at Marshalls. Only as tall as the W. of a mat

updated by @marg: 09/07/16 12:11:40AM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

What brand is that bag of yours?  

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

(I never even heard of a yoga mat bag until I read Marg's post!)

Ha, me either and to think the bag was also padded. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Wow!   What an assortment of bags, fabrics, colors and prices!  Who'd a thunk it?  I never even heard of a yoga mat bag until I read Marg's post!

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

I wish I could say, I had made mine but I didn't. I thought of just getting a table runner and folding over and sewing up the sides. My (new for me dulcimer) is a slander rectangle, so would move around too much in a standard dulcimer bag or case. I went looking for something, maybe a heavy duty laundry bag but ended up with something I had not even thought of,   so funny - 'A yoga mat bag'  

bag.jpg
bag.jpg  •  94KB

Monica
Monica
@monica
8 years ago
64 posts

I made this bag for the Seagull Merlin, this was the instrument that introduced me to the Mountain dulcimer. It is now a wall hanging.

IMG_9789.jpg
IMG_9789.jpg  •  143KB

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

OH ANNIE!!!  ~that is beautiful treasure~

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Thanks, Ken and Jennifer, I passed that on to the maker. I thought I'd be in search of a hard case, until I read Irene's post! 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,090 posts

Annie, that's very pretty. What a nice dulcimer bag!

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Sorry, there they are now...looks like I can't spell today, either!😉

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Ok, so that didn't work I guess....or can others ee them? A.

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Will try to post some pics of the dulcimer bag Melody made for me. I love to kayak, so the top is green for the pines on shore; the bottom is blue for the water. Lining covered with musical notes. 2 little pockets for noter and picks. She had bought the batik fabrics a few years ago...prettiest gift ever. Crazy quilt style, she says. To luck me, it's a work of art. 

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  111KB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  843KB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  1.4MB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  1.8MB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  1.8MB

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Ken, THAT'S AWESOME!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,090 posts

Here are two photos of the case I built for the first dulcimer I made.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

DSCN1623.jpg
DSCN1623.jpg  •  234KB

DSCN1624.jpg
DSCN1624.jpg  •  1.3MB

updated by @ken-longfield: 09/04/16 08:35:18PM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Sooo...  I haven't finished!  I never lined it and must get to work before my new (dulcimer) baby arrives!!!!!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Love, love, love....

Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

A truly unique and beautiful story, it shows we all still have love and appreciation of beautiful things :)

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

DARLING DULCIMER BAG HANGING ON A LINE WITH WONDERFUL FOOD GROWING IN THE BACKGROUND.  woah.  and little pockets.  love it.  With as many kids as I had in Hawaii, I made most all their cloths and for 10 years on a treadle sewing machine.  soooooooo I make bags for the instruments that I make now.  when I went to Hawaii last month, I took my dulcimer with me as we were playing for our granddaughter's wedding.  (oh fun of course) but on crowded planes.....and I ask stewardess or steward, "do you have a closet for my dulcimer?" and then they want to see it and I pull it out and oohhhhh and ahhh and they take care of it right away with no problems.  Last flight at 10:00 p.m. on 8 August leaving Kona, Hawaii, loading up our 4 big bags .....we were last to board, and we were an hour early....WHAT???? I was worried about the dulcimer and did my deal, "oh do you have a little closet to put my dulcimer that I made"....I show it...no closet, but she MADE SURE it was in a safe upper compartment and I put my husbands autoharp in the same overhead bin and she slamed that compartment and said nothing else is going in there.  (happy face here) and it was a full to the max plane because of the DELTA deals going on all over the world.  When I'd take my harp back and forth to the mainland, I'm upfront about it all.....I'd not even cover it....they could see what it was, treated like little jewels.....so travel with home made bags, let 'em know what's inside, offer a tune....and all will be well.  

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Ken, I always love your creations!  Vlillik, when you make it I wanna see it!  Jennifer, I LOVE IT~is it lined?

Mine is crocheted with yarn and fun fur in greens and blues.  I am still wondering what I will line it with~a t-shirt?  An woolly vest with a faux, suede-like outer?  Will definitely post a pic when it's done.  

I so love the fruit of people's hands!!!!!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Beautiful bag Jennifer, you are very creative.

Vlillik
Vlillik
@vlillik
8 years ago
9 posts

I need to make one too...my MD came in a banjo case!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Here are pix of my poplar Possum Box case.  It's a tight fit inside, purposely, so I wouldn't have to add padding.  Made from 1/4" poplar with a 1/4" square rail that the lid rests on.  The handle strap is buckled on the underside. 

P1020594.JPG.jpg
P1020594.JPG.jpg  •  121KB

P1020595.JPG.jpg
P1020595.JPG.jpg  •  251KB

P1020592.JPG.jpg
P1020592.JPG.jpg  •  506KB

P1020593.JPG.jpg
P1020593.JPG.jpg  •  519KB

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

I am currently working on crocheting a bag for my Feather Dulcimer....

updated by @hugssandi: 07/31/23 06:59:28PM