jeffrey charles foster
jeffrey charles foster
@jeffrey-charles-foster
5 years ago
6 posts
Ken Longfield:

Friends, I just received word that Mike Slone who worked with the Hindman Dulcimer Homecoming in Hindman, KY died. I copied this from the Appalachian Artisan Center Facebook post:

Arrangements for our dear friend and accomplished luthier apprentice, Mike Slone will be at Nelson Frazier Funeral Home. Visitation will be Friday January 4th six to nine p.m. and visitation on Saturday. Funeral will be Sunday January 6th at eleven a.m. with burial in the Slone Family Cemetery.

Mike Slone was a tenacious student of local musical heritage and in particular, of the dulcimers of "Uncle Ed" Thomas and McKinley Craft. In 2012, he began making quality replicas of these significant instruments at the AAC Luthiery and in 2014 was granted a KY Folk and Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Grant to further this work. He became a certified Community Scholar through the Kentucky Arts Council. He was a major contributor and curator of the Museum of the Mountain dulcimer, on permanent display in AAC's Cody building, and he coordinated the Hindman Dulcimer Festival in 2014 and 2015.

Mike Slone was the co-recipient of the 2016 Kentucky Governors Award in the Arts on behalf of the AAC's Hindman Dulcimer Project.

We hold Mike Slone's family in our hearts as we honor the memory of a "true original". A strong voice in the telling of the story of this region.

My sympathy goes out to Mike's family and friends. He was an enthusiastic proponent of the mountain dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Very sorry to hear Mike Sloan passed on God bless his soul.
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
5 years ago
231 posts

Jan, that's a great idea. Since my procedure I have been unable to lift the scroll saw. I'm still working on strength but not able to lift the scroll saw and the table it's attached to. Thought about selling it but my husband packed it away. Maybe some day. 

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 years ago
400 posts

Hmm...Patty, maybe you could figure out how to make a limberjack fashioned after Mike Slone, sort of.  It would be a creative way to honor his memory...

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
5 years ago
231 posts

Hearing this made me cry. I would often chat with Mike on this website. I loved his knowledge of building dulcimers and his sense of humor. A few years ago he sent me a climbing bear toy. I treasure it. I've had fun with it. I guess I'm still a big kid at heart. I tend to be a crafty person and Mike encouraged me to buy a scroll saw as I wanted to make limberjacks. I wanted to make him one but I only managed to make a bow for my neighbor's ukelin instrument. Well, life took a few twists and due to some health issues I never got to make that limberjack. Mike will be missed. I will be lifting his family up in prayer. Here is a picture of Mike's climbing bear:

IMG_2709.JPG

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,090 posts

Here is a link if anyone wants to leave a tribute to Mike: https://www.nelsonfrazierfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Michael-Stephen-Slone?obId=3981475#/celebrationWall

Ken

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 years ago
400 posts

What a great Mike Slone story!  His personality comes shining through his words.  It would do us well to read this!  Thanks for sharing, Robin!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,090 posts

Thanks for posting that link, Robin. It was something I was going to try to do this evening. I think that a nice piece on Mike.

Ken

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
5 years ago
94 posts

I'm very sorry to read this...

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Sad.  So young...

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 years ago
400 posts

I, too, was saddened to hear of Mike's death.  We used to chat quite a bit on here.  He helped a lot of people come to know and appreciate the mountain dulcimer.  My prayers go out for his friends and family.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 years ago
389 posts

I don't know what to say to this news.  

To me, Mike was the embodiment of the old-time Kentucky dulcimer spirit.  A quiet and knowledgeable man who wanted to help others understand dulcimer history and mountain music.  He did his part to perpetuate the best of tradition.

Rest in peace, friend, and may God bless your family left behind.  Too sad...

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,429 posts

Rest in peace, Mike. image.jpeg

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
5 years ago
85 posts
So sorry to hear this, Ken. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,255 posts

Aw, that's terrible news. A great loss for so many music loving folks. My heart goes out to Mike's family.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,090 posts

Friends, I just received word that Mike Slone who worked with the Hindman Dulcimer Homecoming in Hindman, KY died. I copied this from the Appalachian Artisan Center Facebook post:

Arrangements for our dear friend and accomplished luthier apprentice, Mike Slone will be at Nelson Frazier Funeral Home. Visitation will be Friday January 4th six to nine p.m. and visitation on Saturday. Funeral will be Sunday January 6th at eleven a.m. with burial in the Slone Family Cemetery.

Mike Slone was a tenacious student of local musical heritage and in particular, of the dulcimers of "Uncle Ed" Thomas and McKinley Craft. In 2012, he began making quality replicas of these significant instruments at the AAC Luthiery and in 2014 was granted a KY Folk and Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Grant to further this work. He became a certified Community Scholar through the Kentucky Arts Council. He was a major contributor and curator of the Museum of the Mountain dulcimer, on permanent display in AAC's Cody building, and he coordinated the Hindman Dulcimer Festival in 2014 and 2015.

Mike Slone was the co-recipient of the 2016 Kentucky Governors Award in the Arts on behalf of the AAC's Hindman Dulcimer Project.

We hold Mike Slone's family in our hearts as we honor the memory of a "true original". A strong voice in the telling of the story of this region.

My sympathy goes out to Mike's family and friends. He was an enthusiastic proponent of the mountain dulcimer.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM