What's your current fave GO-TO instrument these days?

Jerry Posner
Jerry Posner
@jerry-posner
one month ago
11 posts

Correct, Ken!  Bernd is an extremely talented luthier … and renaissance man!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
1,136 posts

I'll answer for Jerry as I'm sure it is Bernd Krause. Here is his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KrauseInstruments/ He makes some very nice instruments.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
2,293 posts

@jerry-posner - do you mean Bernard Krause the bioacoustic soundscape musician/artist?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jerry Posner
Jerry Posner
@jerry-posner
one month ago
11 posts

I have a Bernd Krause dulcimer with the 1.5 fret.  I play (my version) of excerpts from Orff’s Carmina Burana on it. I’m also learning a few new ukulele tunes on my Magic Fluke Concert Flea.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
1,136 posts

At our Tuesday night TTAD Zoom group I usually play a dulcimer I made based on the C.N. Prichard pattern. It is walnut and butternut. With our local group I usually play my all walnut Folkcraft FSH.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
one month ago
401 posts

My McCafferty!  Beautiful cherry with mother of pearl inlay that sounds as good as it looks! The fret markers are things like butterflies, flowers, and hummingbirds, etc.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
1,452 posts

I've been grabbing this older Blue Lion lots lately:

IMG_2052.jpg
IMG_2052.jpg  •  147KB

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
one month ago
1,756 posts

That's a funny looking dulcimer, @Nate! grin

@richard-streib, that's a wonderfully meaningful dulcimer.  Even though Dan made the dulcimer recently, in a sense the dulcimer has been in your family for generations.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
one month ago
240 posts

I have a number of traditional style dulcimores. While I do enjoy them all and play them all on a rotating basis, the one I reach for the most  at this time is a replication of a 1917 James Edward Thomas dulcimore built for Balis Ritchie. This one was made by Dan Cox using walnut wood on the back which came from the Ohio farm where I was born and raised until age 12. That wood was cut on the farm by either my great grandfather or grandfather. And I am on the north side of 70 to give an idea of the age of that walnut.

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
one month ago
300 posts

original

updated by @nate: 07/25/24 11:23:31PM
NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
one month ago
300 posts

Sadly, I've been spreading myself too thin lately and I haven't been getting as much practice as I like to on a few different instruments. I have a Magnus accordion sitting on my couch that I like to play while I'm unwinding when I get off work. It's basically a vintage plastic children's toy accordion with way fewer buttons than a real one. It's a lot of fun to mess around with.

Wally Venable
Wally Venable
@wally-venable
one month ago
78 posts

Percussion stuff. I'm playing percussion in a small concert band, and sometimes play spoons with our dulcimer group.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
2,293 posts

Whether it be a mountain dulcimer or some other musical instrument, tell us-  what is your current favorite instrument that you pick up these days... and why?  Tell us why it's been 'calling to you'. Feel free to attach a picture!  bighug jive

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 07/25/24 08:17:53AM