Si Bheag Si Mohr dulcimer duet

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Kathy -- if you look one post below your post you will see that Paul already listed his address and price of the arrangement package

Kathy Ford
Kathy Ford
@kathy-ford
7 years ago
6 posts

Dear Mr Paul Furnas, is your tablature for the song Si Bheag Si Mohr still available for purchase? If so could you please give me a price and an address where I could order it from? I just saw the video of you and Ron Beardsley and it is a beautiful arrangement of the song.

JM Bolton
JM Bolton
@johanna-m-bolton
9 years ago
2 posts

THANK YOU! The check's in the mail!! I'm so excited. I love a challenge, and Si Bheag Si Mohr is one of my favorites to play.

Paul Furnas said:

Hi, Johanna.

The duet features one dulcimer playing the original melody and a second dulcimer providing a more challenging finger=picking accompaniment.

If you will send a suitable mailing address and $5 to

Paul Furnas

P.O.Box 385

Davis, CA 95617-0385

I will send you six sheets of tablature on card stock:

1 sheet . . . the original melody

1 sheet . . . the finger-picking accompaniment

2 sheets in duet format . . . original melody + simplified chordal accompaniment

2 sheets in duet format . . . original melody + finger-picking accompaniment

The finger-picking accompaniment is rather challenging, but it is extremely satisfying to play (and the conventional chordal arrangement is a good way to prepare your left hand for the more challenging version).

Sincerely Yours,

Paul Furnas

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thank you Dusty for sharing this lovely duet, they both are fabulous players. very soothing and beautiful.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Very beautifully played Ron and Paul. Really enjoyed listening to you.41.gif

Dusty Turtle said:

Thanks for listening. I recorded that at the Redwood Dulcimer Day last summer, and you can hear all the folk in the audience. But Paul and Ron recently recorded a cleaner version of the arrangement:

JM Bolton
JM Bolton
@johanna-m-bolton
9 years ago
2 posts

What a gorgeous arrangement and so beautifully played! Is the music for this duet available to the poor folk who don't live on the west coast? I would love to learn this arrangement.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Thanks for listening. I recorded that at the Redwood Dulcimer Day last summer, and you can hear all the folk in the audience. But Paul and Ron recently recorded a cleaner version of the arrangement:

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 06/21/17 09:16:18PM
Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
11 years ago
28 posts

i thoroughly enjoyed that, thanks for posting it!

Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
11 years ago
14 posts

Just saw this marvelous video - what a gorgeous performance of one of my favorite melodies. I've heard it performed many times on a variety of instruments and settings, and this has to be one of the best. Thanks so much, gentlemen.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
11 years ago
399 posts

Thank you so much, Paul! When I get back home again I'll send in my order! This is very appreciated!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Jan, I'll make sure Paul sees your request. It is indeed abeautiful arrangement, and I can understand why you'd wantto play it.

Jan Potts said:

Is this duet arrangement available for purchase? I love both parts--and would like to learn both! And, Rob, if you learn them, too, we'll play a duet some day!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
11 years ago
399 posts

Is this duet arrangement available for purchase? I love both parts--and would like to learn both! And, Rob, if you learn them, too, we'll play a duet some day!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
11 years ago
94 posts

Very very pretty. Thanks for sharing this Dusty.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Thanks, Wayne and John. I'm glad to get one of Paul's arrangements some exposure.

Wayne, what makes you think it is tab and not standard music notation? (Actually, I think it is tab that Ron is reading, but I just wanted to give you a hard time. Devil dancing banana smiley (Banana Emoticons) ) Paul arranged the piece for two dulcimers and not surprisingly he knows it better than Ron does. The arrangement is so precise that if Ron were to play a note that might sound great when playing solo but is not exactly what Paul had written, he would ruin the harmonies and counter-melodies that Paul intended.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

That was really nice. Thanks for posting this!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
11 years ago
422 posts

Dusty,

That was one of the most beautiful duet arrangements I've ever heard! (Just for the record, I had typed beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful and amazing before settling on beautiful.) I'd love to have someone with which to try something like that. I can't say thank you enough. Yep, Carrie, you're not an original on that 3 finger, no thumb style. :( I had thought you were.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

I wish I could say thanks, Carrie and Cheryl. All I did was hold a camera. We're going to try to make another recording with a better mic on Paul's dulcimer. And hopefully my dulcimer group will record one or more of Paul's arrangements. He's got a couple with three or four parts of increasing difficulty, so everyone from the beginners to the more advanced can play a part.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson
@cheryl-johnson
11 years ago
43 posts

Really beautifully done!! Bravo!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Since I am not playing in this video, I can't upload it to our video library, but I wanted to share with everyone this carefully arranged duet of Turlough O'Carolan's "Si Bheag Si Mohr" which Paul Furnas and Ron Beardslee played at the Redwood Dulcimer Day this past weekend.

Both are founding members ofmy dulcimer group, River City Dulcimers. Paul has been playing and teaching the dulcimer for decades. He has a doctorate in early music and is a font of knowledge about music history and music theory. He has many arrangements of songs, all very carefully thought out. It is a bit hard to hear his fingerpicking here, but hopefully you can all see how pretty the arrangement is. And Paul's smile at the end is precious!

Listening to this soft and carefularrangement of the song makes me feel like that proverbial bull in a china shop when I play my awkward strumming version of the tune.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 07/31/23 09:26:23PM